The best centers for cancer treatment in Germany are listed on this page. You can sort the clinics by prices and reviews.
German clinics apply the latest technologies for oncology therapy and conduct clinical trials to develop new options. So, patients receive the most effective treatment possible. The cost of cancer treatment in Germany is considered at a high level. But choosing a German clinic for therapy, you increase your chances for recovery significantly.
If you need some cheaper options, consider Turkey, India, or Thailand.
Submit a request, and Bookimed medical doctor will help you to choose the most suitable option according to the diagnosis and financial ability. This option is free.
- Asklepios Barmbek takes the 1st place in Medical Travel Quality Alliance (MTQA) rating. It means that the hospital complies with the strict quality demands and provides foreign patients with advanced treatment. It makes Asklepios Barmbek one of the best German clinics for cancer therapy.
- 16,000 patients prefer this German center to treat oncology. It is equipped with the latest technologies; doctors have over 15-20 years of experience in cancer treatment.
- It is certified by German Cancer Society. That means you have access to the most effective cancer treatment options.
- Oncology types treated at Asklepios Barmbek: liver, lung, stomach, pancreas, esophagus, colorectal, kidney, prostate, testicular, bladder, breast cancer, uterine and ovarian cancers; leukemia, plasmacytoma.
The Oncology Center of Nordwest Hospital (Germany) has the European Society of Medical Oncology certificate.
Specialists The conducts research in the area of tumor immunology.
For the treatment of malignant tumors, oncologists carry out immunotherapy, radiotherapy, chemotherapy and bone marrow transplantation.
- Certification from German Cancer Society that confirms the compliance of oncology treatment with the strictest German cure protocols.
- Gesundheit Nord Bremen consists of narrow-specialized cancer treatment centers. It means that doctors have vast experience in a particular oncological disease treatment that increases chances to choose the most appropriate therapy.
- Top German oncologists. Specialists of Gesundheit Nord have practiced in the leading American hospitals. They are permanently included in the Focus magazine ranking as best cancer specialists in Germany.
- Second medical opinion. It is possible to arrange online consultation with a doctor from Gesundheit Nord Bremen regarding the diagnosis and adequacy of the prescribed treatment.
- Such cancer types are treated at this German oncology center: breast, gynecological, prostate, skin, head and neck, gastrointestinal, leukemia.
- Helios Berlin Buch is included in Top German hospitals rating 2018 composed by the Focus magazine. It means that the hospital complies with strict treatment demands, and its therapies show the highest efficiency rate.
- 97% of patients are satisfied with oncology treatment at Helios according to anonymous survey among them.
- Helios Berlin Buch doctors lead the clinical trials of new treatment methods regarding cancer cure in Germany. If you would like and in case you correspond requirements, you can participate in the experiment and try the latest developments.
- Medical Center in Solingen is included in Top German hospitals according to the Focus magazine ranking.
- All the practicing surgeons have over 20 years of experience.
Why do patients choose Germany for cancer treatment?
International patients pick German hospitals to cure cancer due to:
- High effectiveness of treatment. Cancer centers in Germany show one of the highest indexes of patients recovery. For instance, the average 5-year survival rate for breast cancer is 81.6% (for initial stages it will be higher) according to the German Cancer Society, up to 80% of limb preservation for sarcoma, and 91% for prostate cancer according to the German Ministry of Health.
- Availability of the latest treatment options. Hospitals for oncology treatment in Germany apply the latest medical technologies. Some of them offer alternative options newly developed as a result of clinical trials.
- Experienced doctors. German doctors who manage cancer treatment have decades of experience, permanently improve their skills to apply the latest technologies, conduct clinical trials to develop new therapies and implement them around the world.
Despite the above-mentioned benefits, treatment in Germany has some disadvantages. Among them — high treatment cost and slow therapy arrangement (it takes from 2 weeks). So, if you need some cheaper options and require treatment immediately, Bookimed medical doctor can recommend some other countries for treatment.
Features of cancer treatment in Germany
If you want to get treatment in Germany, you have to know some features of it:
- The treatment of oncology in Germany is arranged within 2-3 weeks after your request on Bookimed website.
- Before the medical trip, you receive the bill from the clinic. You need to prepay at least 50% of it to confirm your arrival.
- Then you will receive an invitation from the German hospital that will boost your applying for a visa.
How to choose the best cancer center in Germany?
To choose a top clinic for oncology treatment in Germany, pay attention to:
- Clinic's specialization. While choosing the hospital for treatment, learn whether the medical center specializes in your cancer type. The statistics of the clinic or consultation with Bookimed manager will help you to make the right choice.
- Doctor's experience. One of the key factors to successful treatment is the choice of the experienced doctor. It is important a doctor specializes in a particular cancer type. The doctor's CV will help to understand whether you can entrust to the physician. Doctors working in the hospitals listed on this page are all highly-qualified, so you can be sure of their professionalism — they have decades of experience, participate in international health organizations, and certified by cancer societies.
- Patient reviews. The experience of other patients will help you to understand the level of medical service in a particular German center. You can find verified reviews on clinics on our website.
If you need a consultation regarding the choice of the medical center in Germany, submit a request on Bookimed. Our medical doctor will contact you to answer all the questions and choose the most effective option in your case. We have helped over 160,000 patients and know all the details about treatment in Germany. Consultation with Bookimed manager is free.
Is oncology treatment effective in Germany?
Germany is one of the most popular destinations with medical tourists. Over 250,000 international patients choose this country to cure diseases of any complexity annually.
The effectiveness of cancer treatment in Germany is one of the highest in Europe. The application of the accurate devices for diagnostics and the latest treatment protocols allows achieving the great result in this field.
How to get a second medical opinion in a German clinic?
A lot of patients diagnosed with cancer request to Bookimed to get a second medical opinion. This option is suitable in case you want:
- to get an expert opinion of a leading specialist
- to make sure that you or your relative has been got the correct diagnosis
- to make sure your treatment plan is effective.
Top cancer doctors in Germany can consult you remotely. All you need is to provide the medical records concerning your disease and pay a consultation. A second medical opinion is a great option for those who want to get qualified consultation without wasting much money and time.
Submit a request on Bookimed, and our manager will arrange the consultation with a German doctor specialized in your case.
Treatment options applied in German clinics
The medical centers in Germany specialize in all types of oncology. The treatment plan depends on the cancer type and can be determined only after consultation with a doctor or even multidisciplinary team of specialists.
Below you can see the most common therapies. This list is not complete. In some case, German doctors may apply some alternative treatment options specific for a particular oncological disease.
Specialists working in German cancer clinics focus on low-traumatic operation for tumor removal. They can be performed in such ways:
- Endoscopic — removal of a tumor with a special tube and camera at its end inserted through the natural openings. This technique is often used to remove non-metastatic cancer located in the gastrointestinal tract or urinary system.
- Laparoscopic — removal of a tumor or affected organ through several small incisions (up 2 cm). The flexible tube is inserted in the incision, a doctor controls the process on the monitor and carefully removes a tumor.
- Robotic — a surgical intervention on Da Vinci performed through small incisions up to 2 cm. A robot carefully operates under control of a doctor sitting at a special panel. A computer processes doctor's movements and makes them smoother excluding trembling or errors.
- Open — removal of a tumor and metastases through the big incisions. Usually, German doctors apply such type of surgery in rare cases, when other operations can be ineffective.
This is the destruction of cells with radiation. It can be prescribed before or after surgery. Depending on tumor localization, German doctors carry out:
- Remote radiotherapy is irradiation of neoplasm with a special device which directs a radioactive beam with the high accuracy. German cancer centers are equipped with the most innovative radiotherapy devices that allows irradiate only a tumor without affecting healthy tissues.
- Brachytherapy is internal irradiation. A doctor places tiny radioactive seeds directly into the affected organs. These seeds irradiate a tumor, destroy it, and are removed from the body in a natural way. This option does not affect healthy tissues, allows preserve an affected organ, and a patient can lead a usual lifestyle just after the procedure.
Chemotherapy is the destruction of cancer cells with chemo drugs. They are administered intravenously or taken as pills.
To destroy metastases in the abdomen, German oncologists apply HIPEC (hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemotherapy). After surgical removal of visible malignant tumors, doctors administer heated chemo substance. Due to the high temperature, the agent penetrates deeply and destroys more metastases than traditional chemo. In 90 minutes, specialists remove the drug and put the stitches.
Treatment with hormones is applied in case of breast and thyroid cancer, some oncological disease of male and female sex organs. Hormonal therapy can stop tumor growth and can be applied with other treatment options.
Targeted therapy is applied in the best oncology hospitals in Germany. This is drug therapy influencing specific tumor genes or proteins. Targeted therapy is chosen according to a tumor type after medical tests. German doctors have vast experience in the application of this treatment option and select the most effective one in your case. Targeted therapy shows great results and is not harmful to healthy tissues.
This treatment option activates the patient's immune system to detect cancer and kill malignant cells. Only a doctor can decide whether immunotherapy will be effective in your case. It is usually applied when other therapies are ineffective.
German clinics apply the latest option for cancer treatment. The doctors may choose 1 primary method or combine it with other therapies. Only after establishing an accurate diagnosis, a German oncologist will develop an individual treatment plan in your case.
What affects the cost of cancer treatment?
The pricing of treatment in Germany is regulated at the state level, so an international patient won't overpay. However, there are some factors that can influence the cost of oncology treatment in Germany:
- Doctor's experience. The cost of treatment may change depending on the doctor's experience, degree, and qualification.
- Duration and intensity of treatment. The choice of treatment significantly depends on the cancer type and its stage. So, only a doctor can determine of the final cancer therapy cost in Germany.
- Additional charges. The level of ward comfort and duration of admission, language assistance (if necessary), accommodation of an accompanying person also affects the price. So, take into account these additional charges while planning treatment in Germany.
If you need to get a personalized quote regarding cancer treatment in Germany, submit a request on Bookimed. Our medical coordinator will provide with the price and info regarding treatment in Germany in your case. This option is free.
How to get cancer treatment in Germany?
Follow these steps to arrange your travel to cure cancer in Germany in the shortest term:
- Compare the info on German cancer clinics listed on this page.
- Compare the prices in each clinic.
- Submit a request on Bookimed.
- Bookimed medical coordinator will contact you to answer all the question and collect the details regarding your medical issues.
- Together you will choose the most appropriate German hospital in your case.
- Bookimed manager sends your medical records to the chosen clinic to get a cost estimate of the treatment.
- You will receive the bill and treatment program within 3-5 days after the request.
- If everything is suitable for you, Bookimed manager schedules the date of your arrival.
- Then, a medical coordinator assists in arranging your medical trip. This option is free.
Submit a request now, and start the treatment in Germany in the shortest term. Cancer doesn't wait!
Costs of oncology procedures in Germany
|Immunotherapy||$4450 - $8900|
|Chemotherapy||$1150 - $5000|
|Radiotherapy||$8350 - $28900|
|Radioiodine therapy||$3250 - $10900|
|Hyperthermic Intraperitoneal Chemotherapy (HIPEC)||$22200 - $52100|
|PET/CT||$2450 - $4000|
|MRI of one area||$1150 - $1900|
|Biopsy||$950 - $2550|
|Colonoscopy||$950 - $1800|
|Tumor Marker Blood Test||$70 - $960|
- Helios Krefeld Clinic is one of best German cancer clinics. It is certified by German Cancer Society that ensures you access to the latest therapeutic options.
- Helios Krefeld Clinic is also considered a Top hospital in Germany according to the Focus magazine ranking. The rating is composed on the criteria of doctors’ qualifications, technical equipment, and patients’ reviews.
- Helios Krefeld Oncology Center provides the following success rates for surgeries in case of colorectal cancer: 98% for the colon removal and 100% for the rectum removal.
- Oncologists with over 10 years of experience.
- “Cold cap” therapy is applied during chemotherapy to avoid hair loss. The cold makes chemo drugs less active and prevents their spread to hair follicles.
- Oncology types treated at this German cancer center: breast, colorectal, prostate, head and neck cancers.
Klinikum Bremen-Ost is a multidisciplinary hospital located in Bremen. The hospital is a part of the Gesundheit Nord-Klinikverbund Bremen network of hospitals. Bremen-Ost Hospital specializes in lung surgery, neurology, psychotherapy, and psychiatry.
Bremen-Ost is among best German medical facilities in 2015-2016 according to the rating of Focus magazine. The rating includes hospitals with positive patients’ feedback and high treatment success rates.
Every year Bremen-Ost receives 19,000 patients for treatment.
- Over 50,000 foreign patients choose Helios Park Hospital in Leipzig annually.
- It is accredited by German Cancer Society for the high treatment efficiency, doctors’ qualification, and level of equipment.
- 99.9% is a success rate for removal of stomach malignant tumors.
- 93.6% of patients are satisfied with the treatment according to the hospital information.
- Over 50% of surgeries to remove cancer are minimally invasive and speed up postoperative period.
Düsseldorf Clinics Association consists of 4 multidisciplinary hospitals. Physicians at Dusseldorf specialize in oncology, neurology, cardiology, orthopedics, and surgery.
More than 60 professors work in the Association. They head the rating of the best physicians according to Focus magazine, one of the three German most widely circulating titles.
Over 200,000 patients undergo treatment in Düsseldorf Clinics Association annually.
Charité Oncology Center is certified by the German Cancer Society. For the treatment of cancer, doctors use the radiation therapy CyberKnife, TrueBeam. They apply drugs of immunotherapy and targeted therapy.
The Department includes the units of radiotherapy, oncology immunology, hematology, pulmonological oncology.
There are also highly specialized centers for the treatment of melanoma, prostate cancer, and breast tumors.
CDT-WEST is a specialized diagnostic radiology and therapy center in Cologne (Germany).
Specialists conduct health check using the latest CT, MRI, and PET-CT (positron emission tomography) devices.
Radiation therapists carry out such modern techniques as IMRT (intensity-modulated radiotherapy), IGRT (image-guided radiation therapy), DIBH (deep inspiration breath hold radiation therapy). These methods allow treating tumors located close to vital organs safely and effectively.
Uterine cancer stage 3
Klinikum Bremen-Nord is a multispecialty hospital in the northern part of Bremen (Germany), which is a part of Gesundheit Nord (Nord Klinik Allianz). Key specialties at Bremen-Nord are general and vascular surgery, obstetrics and gynecology, orthopedics.
In 2015-2016, the hospital was ranked among the 100 best medical facilities in Germany according to the Focus journal. The journal takes into account the percent of successful treatment provided in the hospital, patients’ reviews and doctors’ achievements.
Each year, Bremen-Nord treats 40,000 patients.
Sachsenhausen Hospital was founded as the 1st medical institution for diabetes treatment. Since 1995 the Clinic has been leading hospital in Europe in bariatric surgery. Doctors of the Hospital are among the best specialists in Germany. They provide minimally invasive treatment in 90% of all cases. Centers of Sachsenhausen Hospital are among top medical facilities according to Focus Journal. It is the most authoritative medical magazine in Germany.
Asklepios Klinik Altona is a university hospital of Hamburg, one of the oldest medical facilities in Northern Germany. The medical center belongs to the hospitals’ group of Asklepios Kliniken. Asklepios Altona Hamburg specializes in robotic surgery, gastroenterology, abdominal surgery, neurology, and oncology specialties.
95,000 patients get treatment annually here.
The Dermatologikum Clinic - the unique medical center in Europe - is located in the heart of Berlin. It includes day-clinic, laser center and educational center and provides wide therapy spectrum for dermatology treatment due to the most experienced dermatologists in Germany and by means of the advanced technologies.
Asklepios Nord is the largest multidisciplinary hospital in Hamburg. It is included in the biggest medical network in Germany — Asklepios Kliniken.
Pediatrics, neurosurgery, gastroenterology, ophthalmology, maxillofacial surgery are the main specialties at Asklepios Nord.
Asklepios Nord is regularly ranked among TOP hospitals in Germany for dentistry, ophthalmology, proctology.
72,000 patients receive treatment in the hospital annually.
Asklepios St. Georg Hospital is a multidisciplinary medical center in Hamburg. The Hospital works on the premisses of Asklepios Kliniken Medical Group.
The Hospital specializes in the treatment of the heart, vessels, and spine diseases.
St. Georg Hospital is among the TOP German medical facilities according to the Focus magazine.
87,000 patients receive the treatment annually here.
Alfried Krupp Krankenhaus is one of the largest medical institutions of the Rurh region in Germany. The Hospital consists of 19 departments, 10 certified centers. Alfried Krupp Krankenhaus is a leading facility for emergency patients as the most efficient in severe cases. Annually clinics receives around 80,000 patients and actively cooperates with other European and German medical centers in the field of medical assistance and teaching programs.
St. Martinus-Krankenhaus is a multidisciplinary clinic located 20 minutes from the International Airport in the center of Düsseldorf. It is considered as the leading German hospital in the surgical treatment of obesity. Only two German clinics are accredited by the International Federation of Obesity and Metabolic Disorders and St. Martinus-Krankenhaus is one of them. The Medical Center also includes specialized divisions for diabetes (accredited by the German Diabetes Association - DDG) and minimally invasive gastric surgery. St. Martinus-Krankenhaus is entitled to Top Mediziner 2016 in obesity surgery according to Focus Magazine (one of the most prestigious medical awards in Germany). The Clinic has also an advanced training base for dietitians from the whole country.
University Hospital Aachen is the largest multidisciplinary hospital in Europe and it is affiliated with the medical faculty of Rheinisch-Westfälische Technische Hochschule Aachen which is a research university of technology.