Prostatectomy on Da Vinci robot is conducted by leading surgeon
Dr. Meyer David Gershbaum has conducted over 1,000 operations on the prostate.
Prostatectomy is performed with da Vinci Surgical System of last generation — modern method of prostate cancer treatment. The procedure lasts for 1 hour. A brachytherapy (a kind of targeted radiation therapy) is applied with 93% success rate.
|Radical Prostatectomy via da Vinci Robotic Surgery||25000 $|
|Brachytherapy||12000 - 19000 $|
|High intensity focused ultrasound ablation (HIFU)||27950 - 35560 $|
|Androgen deprivation therapy|
|Prostatectomy||21000 - 25000 $|
It takes 4-6 days for a complete diagnostics.
Urologist, Robotic Surgeon
Urologist, Head of the Department of Urology
Urologist, Oncosurgeon, Director of the Center for Laparoscopic Surgery
Multifield Sourasky Clinic was placed in TOP-5 best worldwide oncologic centers according to the Newsweek version. Treatment plan at Ichilov is worked out by a team of specialists: urologist, oncologist, surgeon, and radiologist. Such a multidisciplinary approach allows avoiding any mistake.
VIP conditions of staying
Prostate cancer treatment is conducted under control of authoritative oncologist with more than 30-years experience — Prof. Moshe Inbar. Prostatectomy can be performed using da Vinci (surgical system) robot. In this case, catheter won't be installed, and the term of hospitalization is shortened to 3 days.
When tumors are small and they haven't spread beyond the prostate, the treatment applies high-intensity ultrasonic waves HIFU.
The complete physical examination lasts 3-4 days.
Urologist, Oncosurgeon specialized in robotic-assisted surgeries
Professor, specializes in Oncology
Assuta Medical Center is the first one among Israeli clinics which have got JCI (Joint Commission International) certification. It means that all procedures conducted at the Center comply with international quality standards. Assuta is a TOP Hospital in Israel regarding treatment of oncology, urology, gynecology, cardiology, etc. There are over 1,500 doctors, some of them are included to rating of best ones according to Forbes rating.
Surgery on Da Vinci robot is made by TOP specialist at Rambam
Dr. David M. Kakiashvili is the Director of Urologic Oncology, Chief of Robotic Surgery at Rambam Medical Center. He has got an international certificate in robotic surgery.
Oncology Center at Rambam is certified by European Society of Medical Oncology (ESMO). The certificate guarantees a compliance of cancer treatment programs with the international protocols and providing quality services for the patients.
In Rambam Hospital the following therapies of prostate cancer treatment are used:
|Radical Prostatectomy via da Vinci Robotic Surgery||24000 $|
|Androgen deprivation therapy|
The complete examination approximately lasts 4 days.
|Transrectal ultrasound-guided prostate biopsy||1190 $|
|Consultation of an urologist|
|Consultation of an oncologist|
|Biochemical blood analysis||320 $|
Prostate cancer treatment in Israel
One of the most common cancers among men is prostate cancer. The tumor affects the prostate gland, the organ involved in the sperm release and the process of ejaculation. The incident rate of this type of cancer shows it occupies the third place after lung and stomach cancers and the second place as the cause of men’s deaths from the cancer. The incident rate is more than 400,000 people in a year and it keeps steadily growing.
Causes of prostate cancer
Only in Israel:
- Surgical removal of the prostate tumor by means of the da Vinci Surgical System
- The innovative technique of ultrasound ablation
- The CyberKnife system of targeting radiotherapy
Causes of prostate cancer development and risk factors
The causes of cancer have not been yet identified. It has been associated with the excess concentrations of male hormone testosterone in blood. In addition, a multitude of observed factors significantly increases the risk of prostate cancer:
- age-related hormonal changes (75% of cases occur among men older than 65 years);
- unhealthy diet (high level of animal fats in food and low level of fiber);
- inherited predisposition to the disease;
- viruse infections (some type species of retroviruses);
- the environmental effect (e.g. UV radiation);
- the effect of cadmium (in rubber industry and typography etc.)
The occurrence of the prostate tumor is often proceeded by the following precancerous conditions:
- benign prostatic hyperplasia;
- intraepithelial neoplasia.
Symptoms of prostate cancer
The tumor of the prostate gland is characterized by two very unpleasant features. The first one is that the prostate cancer is almost free of symptoms at the early stages of its development. Symptoms appear after the tumor starting to spread throughout the body. These include:
- weak and stuttering urine stream;
- burning during urination;
- sensation of incomplete emptying of the urinary bladder. The result is increased frequency of urination and defecation;
- sometimes a decreased ejaculation and impotence may occur.
Further development of the disease defines other, more specific manifestations:
- the appearance of red blood cells in urine;
- the problem of urinary incontinence;
- pain in the pubic region and the perineum.
In addition, the patient can notice typical symptoms of most cancers as weakness, fatigue, absence of appetite and weight loss, fall in hemoglobin level in blood.
For the successful treatment, it is important to detect the disease as early as possible. For this purpuse men are recommended to make preventive checkups at least once a year. It is very important that these checkups to be carried out by experienced doctors. The leading experts of Israeli hospitals successfully diagnose prostate cancer at the early stages that allows to begin treatment in proper time.
Diagnostics of prostate cancer in Israel
The diagnostic procedures for prostate cancer determination in Israel include both specific methods for malignant tumor detection and methods for determination of the expansion rate of metastases in the body. The first include:
- Digital rectal examination of the prostate. It is conducted to detect the induration of the prostate, the analysis of mobility, structure and other features of the organ.
- Ultrasonography of the prostate and urine bladder is the investigation of the prostate by means of ultrasonic wave. For a more detailed study it is also used Transrectal ultrasonography.
- Uroflowmetry is a study of urine flow rate.
- Blood tests for the tumor marker of a specific protein PSA, its level increases with the development of prostate tumor.
- Biopsy is an investigation of prostate cells and their estimation under the Gleason grading system. The material for investigation is taken with local anesthesia under ultrasound machine.
The following techniques are used to determine the spread of cancer in body:
- Ultrasonography of abdominal cavity organs.
- Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) and X-ray computed tomography (CT scan) give images of internal organs by means of a magnetic field and X-ray radiation.
The data obtained as a part of the study, allows Israeli doctors to diagnose prostate cancer, determine the degree of its development as well as the level of aggression, and assign the optimal treatment.
Methods of treatment of prostate cancer in Israel
The most preferred method of treatment at the early stages of prostate cancer is surgical treatment i.e. prostateсtomy. In the hospitals of Israel this surgery accounts as minimally invasive procedure and is produced by means of Da Vinci, modern robotic installation. It minimizes the risks of patient’s traumatism.
If surgery is contraindicated or metastasing takes place, the following treatment methods are used:
- Teleirradiation of tumor and nearby lymphs by means of CyberKnife system.
- Brachytherapy, the procedure of local irradiation by isotopes that are introducing into the tumor.
- Ultrasound ablation is the destruction of the tumor by ultrasound exposure.
- Cryoablation is the destruction of the tumor and the surrounding tissues by intervention of low-temperature materials.
It is noteworthly that prostate cancer can be well treated at its early stages.
At the later stages, prostate tumor is treated with radiation therapy, which is combined with hormone therapy. The aim of the hormone therapy is slowing the development of tumor by reducing testosterone level in blood. Chemotherapy and ultrasonic ablation are also applied at this stage.
Prostateсtomy (by means of surgical robot)
Radiation therapy, brachytherapy, ultrasonic ablation, cryoablation
Hormone therapy, radiation therapy, ultrasonic ablation
Hormone therapy, radiation therapy, chemotherapy, palliative treatment
Rehabilitation and prevention of recurrence of prostate cancer in Israel
After completing the course of treatment the patient is observed in hospital for at least another 10-14 days. The Israeli hospitals develop an individual rehabilitation program for each patient. Typically it includes follow-up of patient and, if necessary, treatment by such experts:
- urologist (recovery of normal functioning of the bladder and intestines);
- andrologist (potency recovery);
- psychologist (psychic trauma management after treatment).
Recovery at resorts of the Dead Sea is also recommended.
After the rehabilitation, the patient returns home. Israeli Doctors recommend to repeate the course of rehabilitation after a year.
It is necessary to fulfill all directions of the attending doctor and undergo periodic examinations to prevent the recurrence of prostate cancer.
Cost of prostate cancer treatment in Israel
The cost of treatment in Israel depends on the occurrence of the disease, its stage, degree of tumor aggression and patient's individual characteristics. More information you can obtain from the specialists of the International Patients Support Center Bookimed.
- The diagnostic methods of prostate cancer at Sheba Medical Center
- The cost of prostate cancer diagnostics at Sheba Medical Center
- The prostate cancer treatment methods at Sheba Medical Center
Why is Sheba Medical Center the leading center in prostate cancer treatment?
What doctors are the experts in prostate cancer treatment at Sheba Medical Center?
The center is headed by Prof. Dr. Raanan Berger, who is the head of the Oncology Institute and Sheba Department of Clinical Trials, respected doctor of international class in urological oncology and radiotherapy. Despite that he is one of the main professionals of more than 30 clinical researches of Sheba Cancer Center.
Prostate cancer diagnostics include a detailed list of the consultations, surgical imaging procedures and laboratory tests, such as:
- Thorough examination (digital rectal examination), urologist and oncologist consultations;
- Detailed laboratory analyses (incl. PSA-test);
- Transrectal and transabdominal ultrasound;
- Prostate biopsy with histopathological analysis of tissue samples obtained;
- Bone scan;
- 3D CT;
Prostate cancer diagnostics program is strictly individual at Sheba Medical Center and varies from 2,700 to 3,800 USD. The examinations may be varied regardless the disease stage and ways of cancer spread. Clarify the price for treatment and diagnostic procedures costs on Bookimed website.
What are the prostate cancer treatment methods at Sheba Medical Center?
The most demanding and innovative prostate cancer treatment methods at Sheba Cancer Center are the following:
- Laparoscopic radical prostatectomy;
- Robot assisting radical prostatectomy using Da Vinci Surgical System;
- Brachytherapy, as well as transurethral prostate resection (under benign hyperplasia).
There are the following classic treatment methods:
- Radical prostatectomy traditional operation;
- Hormonal therapy and drug therapy.
Clinic Cancer Center “Herzliya” has thirty years of experience. Center staff takes trainings and gets skills in the best medical centers in the world. Each patient throughout the treatment period is accompanied by a personal manager and translator. Center Department of Diagnostic works quickly and professionally - for the entire period of the department’s activity there was no single case of misdiagnosis. The main pathologies treated in Cancer Center Herzliya are: leukemia, Hodgkin's lymphoma, lymphoblastic leukemia, myeloma, carcinoid tumor, branchiogenic tumor, lung cancer, melanoma, brain cancer and other cancers.
Cancer Center "Davidoff" of Rabin Medical Center is the largest oncology clinic in Israel and the entire Middle East. Every fifth of Israeli citizens gets an aid of the cancer treatment here. The center treats patients with all types of cancer and hematological diseases (leukemia, osteomyelosclerosis, anemia, leukocytosis, and others). The Center includes the departments of radiation therapy, chemotherapy, integrative medicine, palliative therapy and dietology. Center operates with the following cutting-edge techniques for treatment: SBRT, IMRT, IGRT, Rapid Arc., SIRT.