Sourasky Medical Center is considered as a leader in Oncology treatment in Israel
- Methods of lung cancer diagnostics in Sourasky Hospital
- What are the methods of lung cancer treatment at Sourasky Medical Center?
- What is the cost for lung cancer treatment in Ichilov Hospital?
- CT, MRI;
- Bronchoscopy (is carried out by means of a special endoscopic equipment under general anesthesia);
- Invasive biopsy (transthoracic: puncture under CT or thoracoscopy) with histological analysis of the sample;
- Super Dimension Bronchus System for the diagnostics of new formations in the lungs at an early stage with a wireless probe and tracking system;
- Thoracocentesis, i.e. pleural puncture;
- Complete blood counts, including tumor markers searching.
- Stereotactic radiosurgery (NovalisShapedSurgery);
- 3D-conformal radiotherapy;
- Radiation therapy to modulate the intensity of the exposure (IMRT);
- Treatment with biological drug Erlotinib - Tarseva (no side effects);
- Photodynamic therapy (effective in the treatment of small tumors or metastases).
Multidisciplinary team of experts on lung cancer treatment at Ichilov is headed by experienced oncologist Prof. Ilan Ron. The team includes Prof. Ofer Merimsky who specializes in oncological diseases of the lungs, and Prof. Yaron Paz, one of the best specialists in the country in thoracic surgery, who performs minimally invasive surgeries with pinpoint accuracy.
Methods of lung cancer diagnostics in Sourasky Hospital
What are the methods of lung cancer treatment at Sourasky Medical Center?Ichilov specialists know the latest methods of lung cancer treatment. One of the most effective methods is surgery, which includes wedge resection, lobectomy; segmentectomy or segmental resection, pneumonectomy, resection of the part of the bronchus.
The innovative methods of lung cancer treatment include:
What is the cost for lung cancer treatment in Ichilov Hospital?
Make a request to the Doctor of the Bookimed International Patient Support Center to get personal treatment program with the exact prices.
- Methods of lung cancer diagnostics in Assuta Hospital
- Cost of lung cancer diagnostics in Assuta Clinic
- Methods of lung cancer treatment at Assuta Medical Center
Assuta Hospital in Israel is fitted with an upgradable department of pulmonology. Patients all over the world who have the severest diseases of respiratory tracts and lungs.
Leading specialists of pulmonology in Israel - Prof. Ben-Dov Issahar, Prof. Ofer Merimsky, Prof. Svetlana Zalmanova - make the diagnosis and treat the patients.
Under their supervision, the team of specialists of Assuta Clinic apply effective and simultaneously the most sparing methods of lung cancer treatment as cryodestruction, photoradiation therapy, local irradiation, as well as innovative technology of argon removal and holmium laser (Ho-YAG).
Oncologists in Assuta Clinic apply new methods of immunotherapy, when the patient receives lower doses of chemicals. Methods of lung cancer treatment is selected individually.
What methods of lung cancer diagnostics are in Assuta Hospital?
- Complete biochemical blood test + coagulogram, electrolytes, lipids, tumor markers;
- Functional diagnostics of lung;
- PET/CT for the final confirmation of presence of oncological disease and/or metastatic foci;
- Lung biopsy under CT or ultrasound + histological and immunological studies;
- Іtress echocardiography.
There are other methods that are applicable at Assuta Medical Center, allowing to diagnosticate lung cancer at its early stage:
- Fine-needle aspiration (FNA);
- Thoracocentesis (pleural tap).
Program of lung cancer diagnostics of any stage lasts from 3 to 7 days.
What is the cost of lung cancer diagnostics in Assuta Clinic?
The cost of diagnostics varies from $ 4,000 to $ 7,000. The cost is formed individually for each patient, and you can get a personal treatment program with the exact prices right now!
What are the methods of lung cancer treatment in Assuta Hospital?
According to lung cancer indications, Assuta Hospital provides:
- Lobectomy (removal of the lobe of the lung);
- Radiofrequency ablation of the tumor;
- Galvanocaustics (diathermy);
- Photodynamic therapy;
- Laser therapy;
- Radiosurgical intervention (CyberKnife system);
- Radiation therapy (including brachytherapy, IMRT, Rapid Arc system);
- Chemotherapy courses;
- Gene therapy (if EGFR mutations were detected);
- Targeted therapy.
If lung cancer is diagnosticated at its early stages, the survivability after treatment reaches 50%. This indicator is one of the best in the world. After the surgery, the patient is sent to the surgical department where he is close followed-up for a week. Patients who do not have pain, return to the usual rhythm of life in the shortest period.
Rambam Oncological Center is recognized as one of the leaders in Israel. A special feature of the center is the applying of the radiotherapy technologies and radioactive iodine in treatment. Treatment of patients is held outpatiently and inpatiently. Due to the close cooperation with leading European and US centers of cancer treatment, Rambam Center is introduced the most advanced and innovative technologies and equipment for cancer treatment from the best clinics in the world. Among them are the radio- and beam-therapy, brachytherapy, chemotherapy.
Lung cancer treatment in Israel
Lung cancer takes the second place in incidence rate (after skin cancer) and the first place in mortality rate among all cancer diseases.
Lung cancer is considered as one of the most dangerous malignant new formations:
- Disease has been developing asymptomatic for a long time. Cancer of 1-2 stage is found by accident, during plan radiography, abdominal ultrasound, diagnostics and treatment of chronic inflammatory diseases;
- The tumor spreads rapidly as far as this part of the body has peculiar characteristics of blood supply and lymphatic system (large blood vessels, strong bloodstream, extensive lymph ducts).
Lung cancer kills 2 million people annually, while the same amount is killed by its extrapulmonary complications.
There could be distinguished the following types of lung cancer according to its localization and spreading:
- central lung cancer (takes about 70% of all cases) affects the main, lobar or intermediate bronchus. Is complicated by an abscess or pneumonia, aggravating diagnostics of the main disease;
- peripheral lung cancer occurs in the segmental bronchi and their branches. If to compare with the central lung cancer, the clinic of the peripheral is more unclear - even its 3 stage is not accompanied by a cough and hemoptysis;
- combined lung cancer affect large bronchi and peripheral bronchioles.
Only in Israel
- Quality of diagnostics: after an examination in Israel 30% of the diagnosis of "lung cancer" is not confirmed (it turns out that patient has a benign tumor, etc.). It is explained by the level of equipment of diagnostic departments where the powerful CT installations, specific endoscopic techniques and genetic mapping are used.
- Experience of oncology surgeons and chemotherapists. Israeli clinics employ the specialists with a worldwide reputation, have departments, that are specialized in specific types of lung tumors. Knowledge of lung cancer and casuistic variants of the disease increases the effectiveness of surgical and therapeutic methods;
- Curability and survivability rates are higher by 10-40% than in clinics of other countries;
- Clinics provide physical and psychological comfort of the patient and his/her relatives.
- smoking provokes cancer in 90% of cases. Cigarettes are the most dangerous, pipes and cigars are safer for lungs (but more often cause cancer of the lower lip);
- constant contact with the construction dust (asbestos in the first place);
- excessive use of vitamins A (carotene derivatives fourfold increase the risk of lung cancer in smokers and builders);
- contact with radon, arsenic, chromium, and nickel (work in the chemical industries);
- living in the big cities, especially in industrial centers;
- radiation exposure (single load or permanently-elevated background);
- chronic inflammation processes in the bronchi, trachea, connective tissue (bronchitis, tracheitis, tuberculosis, etc.);
- immunodeficiency of any origin, elderly age.
Symptoms of lung cancer
- persistent cough, getting worse as the disease progresses;
- hemoptysis, scarlet blood is expectorated (tumor destruction and damage of the vessel is often confused with the open form of tuberculosis);
- signs of pulmonary heart disease: shortness of breath, swelling, wheezing, thickening of the nail phalanges (the nails in the form of "clock glass");
- constant fatigue, loss of weight.
Central lung cancer is characterized with persistent pneumonia, chest pain.
- examination by an oncologist, study of medical history, assessment of risk factors and comorbidities;
- plain radiography allows to correct the examination plan;
- PET-CT of the lungs helps to determine the origin of the tumor (lung cancer is often secondary);
- searching for atypical cells in sputum;
- pleurocentesis (pleura involvement is checked);
- bronchoscopy with biopsy (is applied if central cancer is suspected). Israeli clinics use bronchoscopes with integrated ultrasound, which increases the information value of the method;
- mediastinoscopy, i.e. endoscopy of the superior mediastinum. Diagnostic puncture of the lymph nodes is performed. The method allows to determine the spreading process more accurately, affects the tactics to choose by surgeons;
- CT screening is carried out for a quick searching for metastasis.
Stage 1 of lung cancer
Transient rise in temperature, weakness, drowsiness, frequent respiratory infections could appear. The survival rate is 60-70%.
Cough (it can be with blood) appears, body weight decreases, intoxication. The five-year survival rate is 30-40%.
Cough is intensifying, cardiopulmonary failure, palliative treatment.
Methods of lung cancer treatment in Israel
If a central lung cancer at its 1-A stage is found, Israeli oncologists remove a new formation endoscopically. Cryoablation (freezing), electrocautery, photodynamic impact on tumors are applied.
A similar stage of peripheral cancer is treated with segmentectomy, i.e. removal of a segment of the lung lobe (a small piece of tissue).
At the 2-3 stage of lung cancer the lung lobe (lobectomy) or the entire lung is removed. In the latter case, a crucial role can belong to mediastinoscopy. The method shows is the second lung affected with cancer process or not.
Complex treatment therapy of lung cancer includes:
- chemotherapy, including targeted administration of drugs if the disease is limited. The structure of the lung makes it relatively easy to create a high concentration of chemotherapeutic agents in a particular part of the organ, which is effectively used by Israeli oncologists;
- radiotherapy is used after segmentectomy or lobectomy to prevent recurrences. Israeli oncologists use technologies to accurately and efficiently impact on foci in the lungs (adaptive strobing, Novalis etc.);
- Cytokine therapy. Monoclonal antibodies, interleukins are used as adjunct therapy if the disease is spread.
“I have been sick with catarrhal diseases since 40 years, which come to pneumonia every other time. For the nth time the pulmonologist sent me to oncologic just in case. There I was told I have central cancer of a left lung and the things are bad.
The relatives advised me to go Israel to visit their acquainted doctor in the clinic. I was examined there, underwent some medical tests and was diagnosticated of a nonspecific chronic pneumonia. I was also told I had immunodeficiency, so I was appointed some antibiotics and drugs for the immunity raising.
I have been taking drugs for my immunity system even now but the question about the cancer does not rise any more."
Mikhail, 45 years, Novosibirsk
After removal of a segment or a lobe of the lung the patient stays in the hospital for 3-4 days and up to 2 weeks after pneumonectomy. A surgeon, oncologist and rehabilitation specialist monitor the state of the patient.
In some cases (if extensive interventions took place) the first days after the surgery, mechanical ventilation system is used. These patients have their own rehabilitation program that includes breathing exercises, the application of incentive spirometer, and physiotherapeutic procedures.
Rehabilitation specialist constantly informs the patient and his/her family about the progress of the recovery process, provides specific instructions concerning the mode, nutrition and physical activity of the patient.
In 10 days after the surgery, the patient is repeatedly consulted by the oncological surgeon and then can go home.
Cost of lung cancer treatment in Israel
- the total cost of treatment in Israel is lower than in the USA, Switzerland and Germany by 20-40%;
- due to the application of endoscopic methods and radiation therapy rehabilitation period in Israeli hospitals lasts less. This reduces the cost for the treatment of cancer tumors;
- prices of medical services in Israel are controlled by the state, this means the patient can correctly, distribute the budget (the price list is known in advance);
- English-speaking doctors and nurses in clinics, there is no need to pay for the services of an interpreter;
- by virtue of Bookimed Support Center the patient does not spend money on the services of intermediary organizations.
- Methods of lung cancer diagnostics in Sheba Clinic
- Cost of lung cancer diagnostics in Sheba Hospital
- Methods of lung cancer treatment in Sheba Hospital
Why Sheba Hospital is considered as one of the leading centers of treatment of lung cancer?
Sheba is the only one cancer center in Europe and the Middle East, that have signed a cooperation agreement with the world-famous American MD Anderson Cancer Center. By virtue of this agreement, specialists of Sheba Hospital are constantly improving their methods of early diagnostics and treatment protocols in accordance with the latest scientific developments of the leading oncology institutes of the world.
Dr. On Amir, Head of the Department of Lung Cancer in Sheba Clinic, an internationally recognized authority in the field of lung cancer pathology treatment.
Professor Alon Elin, famous for his specialization in minimally invasive thoracic surgeries, practices lobe removing by means of thoracoscopic method at Sheba Medical Center.
Each patient who comes over to treatment the Department of Oncology gets an individual treatment plan, including palliative care, rehabilitation program, social assistance, psychological and emotional support.
The program of examination and diagnostics of suspected lung cancer in Sheba Clinic includes the following procedures:
- A detailed physical examination;
- Complete laboratory hematological tests, including tumor markers searching and genetic testing;
- An analysis of phlegm and flushing from the bronchial tree;
- A biopsy of the tumor with a cytokine and histopathological analysis of tissue samples;
- Ultrasound (sonography);
- Chest X-ray with some projections;
- Three-dimensional CT and/or MRI;
What is the cost of lung cancer diagnostics at Sheba Medical Center?
Prices vary from $ 4,000 to $ 7,000. The cost is formed individually for each patient, you can get a personal treatment program with the exact prices right now!
What are the methods of lung cancer treatment in Sheba Clinic?
- Patients at I-II stage of lung cancer in Sheba are treated with the surgery of partial resection - removal of the tumor and its surrounding segment of healthy tissue, or the removal of one lung lobe, that is called pulmonary lobectomy.
- Patients at III stage of lung cancer, when the tumor spreads beyond one lung lobe, are underwent the removal of whole lung (pneumonectomy).
- Patients with the stage III of lung cancer are also appointed with additional treatment: chemotherapy and/or radiotherapy.
- Treatment of the VI stage of lung cancer includes chemotherapy and radiotherapy to prolongate the patient's life and relieve symptoms.
Courses of targeted therapy (in particular if tumors are resistant to classical anti-tumor drugs).
Cancer Center "Davidoff" of Rabin Medical Center is the largest oncology clinic in Israel and the entire Middle East. Every fifth of Israeli citizens gets an aid of the cancer treatment here. The center treats patients with all types of cancer and hematological diseases (leukemia, osteomyelosclerosis, anemia, leukocytosis, and others). The Center includes the departments of radiation therapy, chemotherapy, integrative medicine, palliative therapy and dietology. Center operates with the following cutting-edge techniques for treatment: SBRT, IMRT, IGRT, Rapid Arc., SIRT.
Clinic Cancer Center “Herzliya” has thirty years of experience. Center staff takes trainings and gets skills in the best medical centers in the world. Each patient throughout the treatment period is accompanied by a personal manager and translator. Center Department of Diagnostic works quickly and professionally - for the entire period of the department’s activity there was no single case of misdiagnosis. The main pathologies treated in Cancer Center Herzliya are: leukemia, Hodgkin's lymphoma, lymphoblastic leukemia, myeloma, carcinoid tumor, branchiogenic tumor, lung cancer, melanoma, brain cancer and other cancers.