85% of thoracic surgeries are organ-preserving
Lung cancer treatment options include:
- Wedge resection;
- Segmentectomy or segmental resection;
- Resection of part of the bronchus.
- 85% of operations performed on lungs are organ-preserving.
Among innovative methods are applied:
- Focused Radiotherapy Surgery (NovalisShapedSurgery);
- 3D-conformal radiation therapy;
- Radiotherapy with possibility of modulating the intensity of exposure (IMRT).
Diagnostics of lung cancer includes such procedures:
- Bronchoscopy (performed with help of special endoscopic equipment under general anesthesia);
- Invasive biopsy (transthoracic puncture under control of CT or thoracoscopy) with histological examination of the sample;
- Super Dimension Bronchus System - an innovative system for diagnosing neoplasms of lungs at the earliest stages using a wireless probe that transmits detailed images;
- Thoracocentesis - pleural fluid puncture.
Thoracic oncology surgeon Professor Yossi Paz and oncologist Professor Ofer Merimsky are engaged in the lung cancer treatment. Dr. Merimsky was included in the list of the best Israeli doctors according to Forbes.
Doctors who are engaged in the treatment of lung cancer in Assuta Clinic:
- Professor Issachar Ben-Dov - leading pulmonologist, author of more than 50 scientific studies;
- Professor Ofer Merimsky - an oncologist who cured more than 3,500 patients with different types of tumors;
- Professor Alon Elin is a leading specialist in the Department of Thoracic Surgery.
Depending on lung cancer staging, lobectomy (removal of the lobe of the lung), ablation or cryodestruction of the tumor are performed, and also immunotherapy (when detecting EGFR mutation) or targeted therapy are applied.
Lung cancer treatment cost depends on a type of tumor and staging.
Diagnostics of lung cancer may take up to 7 days to obtain results of procedures.Depending on prescribed procedures, the cost of diagnostics can range from $6,300 to $8,600.
Professor, specializes in Oncology
Doctor, specializes in Radiotherapy
Assuta Clinic is accredited by the international standard JCI and is the leading center for treatment of lung tumors. One of the largest pulmonology departments in the country operates on clinic’s premises. Assuta is a private clinic, patients don’t have to wait for a turn for treatment.
The best price for treatment of lung cancer in Israel
|Chemotherapy||800 - 1500 $|
|Thoracoscopic Segmental Resection of Lung||16310 $|
|Lung cancer surgery||25720 $|
|Consultation of an oncologist|
Rambam Medical Center is the largest state clinic with international status in the north of Israel. The hospital is accredited by Israeli Defense Forces, United Nations Armed Forces and US Navy.
Lung cancer treatment in Israel
Lung cancer is considered as one of the most dangerous malignant new formations:
- Lung cancer is usually asymptomatic. Cancer of 1-2 stage is found during radiography, abdominal ultrasound, diagnostics and treatment of chronic inflammatory diseases;
- The tumor spreads rapidly as far as this part of the body has peculiar characteristics of blood supply and lymphatic system (large blood vessels, strong bloodstream, extensive lymph ducts).
There could be distinguished the following types of lung cancer:
- central lung cancer (70% of all cases) affects the main, lobar or intermediate bronchus. Is complicated by an abscess or pneumonia, aggravating diagnostics of the main disease;
- peripheral lung cancer occurs in the segmental bronchi and their branches. To compare with the central lung cancer, symptoms of peripheral are more unclear - its 3 stage is not accompanied by a cough and hemoptysis;
- combined lung cancer affects large bronchi and peripheral bronchioles.
Diagnostics of lung cancer in Israel
- examination by an oncologist;
- PET-CT of lungs helps to determine the origin of the tumor;
- searching for atypical cells in sputum;
- pleurocentesis (pleura involvement is checked);
- bronchoscopy with biopsy (is applied if central cancer is suspected). Israeli clinics use bronchoscopes with integrated ultrasound;
- mediastinoscopy, endoscopy of the superior mediastinum. Diagnostic puncture of lymph nodes is performed. The method allows to determine spreading process more accurately;
- CT screening is carried out for a quick searching for metastases.
- Pulmonary function test;
- FDG PET/CT.
Methods of lung cancer treatment in Israel
If central lung cancer is found at its 1-A stage, Israeli oncologists remove a new formation endoscopically. Cryoablation (freezing), electrocautery, photodynamic impact on tumors are applied.
Peripheral cancer is treated with segmentectomy, removal of a segment of the lung lobe (a small piece of tissue).
At the 2-3 stage of lung cancer the lung lobe (lobectomy) or the entire lung is removed. In the latter case, a crucial role can belong to mediastinoscopy. The method shows if the second lung is affected with cancer development or not.
Complex treatment therapy of lung cancer includes:
- chemotherapy, including targeted administration of drugs if the disease is limited. The structure of the lung makes it easy to create a high concentration of chemotherapeutic agents in a particular part of the organ, which is effectively used by Israeli oncologists;
- radiotherapy is used after segmentectomy or lobectomy to prevent recurrences. Israeli oncologists use technologies to accurately and efficiently impact on foci in the lungs (adaptive strobing, Novalis etc.);
- VATS - video-assisted thoracoscopic surgery, which is taken in the early stages of lung cancer, is proven to reduce mortality compared with open lobectomy (NCCN);
In addition to standard methods of radiation therapy (CT-planned 3D-CRT), several certified clinics apply advanced methods - 4D-CT and/or PET/CT simulation, IMRT/VMAT, IGRT, motion management, proton therapy.
- Methods of lung cancer diagnostics in Sheba Clinic
- Cost of lung cancer diagnostics in Sheba Hospital
- Methods of lung cancer treatment in Sheba Hospital
Why Sheba Hospital is considered as one of the leading centers of treatment of lung cancer?
Sheba is the only one cancer center in Europe and the Middle East, that have signed a cooperation agreement with the world-famous American MD Anderson Cancer Center. By virtue of this agreement, specialists of Sheba Hospital are constantly improving their methods of early diagnostics and treatment protocols in accordance with the latest scientific developments of the leading oncology institutes of the world.
Dr. On Amir, Head of the Department of Lung Cancer in Sheba Clinic, an internationally recognized authority in the field of lung cancer pathology treatment.
Professor Alon Elin, famous for his specialization in minimally invasive thoracic surgeries, practices lobe removing by means of thoracoscopic method at Sheba Medical Center.
Each patient who comes over to treatment the Department of Oncology gets an individual treatment plan, including palliative care, rehabilitation program, social assistance, psychological and emotional support.
The program of examination and diagnostics of suspected lung cancer in Sheba Clinic includes the following procedures:
- A detailed physical examination;
- Complete laboratory hematological tests, including tumor markers searching and genetic testing;
- An analysis of phlegm and flushing from the bronchial tree;
- A biopsy of the tumor with a cytokine and histopathological analysis of tissue samples;
- Ultrasound (sonography);
- Chest X-ray with some projections;
- Three-dimensional CT and/or MRI;
What is the cost of lung cancer diagnostics at Sheba Medical Center?
Prices vary from $ 4,000 to $ 7,000. The cost is formed individually for each patient, you can get a personal treatment program with the exact prices right now!
What are the methods of lung cancer treatment in Sheba Clinic?
- Patients at I-II stage of lung cancer in Sheba are treated with the surgery of partial resection - removal of the tumor and its surrounding segment of healthy tissue, or the removal of one lung lobe, that is called pulmonary lobectomy.
- Patients at III stage of lung cancer, when the tumor spreads beyond one lung lobe, are underwent the removal of whole lung (pneumonectomy).
- Patients with the stage III of lung cancer are also appointed with additional treatment: chemotherapy and/or radiotherapy.
- Treatment of the VI stage of lung cancer includes chemotherapy and radiotherapy to prolongate the patient's life and relieve symptoms.
Courses of targeted therapy (in particular if tumors are resistant to classical anti-tumor drugs).
Clinic Cancer Center “Herzliya” has thirty years of experience. Center staff takes trainings and gets skills in the best medical centers in the world. Each patient throughout the treatment period is accompanied by a personal manager and translator. Center Department of Diagnostic works quickly and professionally - for the entire period of the department’s activity there was no single case of misdiagnosis. The main pathologies treated in Cancer Center Herzliya are: leukemia, Hodgkin's lymphoma, lymphoblastic leukemia, myeloma, carcinoid tumor, branchiogenic tumor, lung cancer, melanoma, brain cancer and other cancers.