Best clinics that perform rectal cancer surgery are listed below. The rating is based on patients’ reviews and Bookimed Medical Doctor’s expert assessment.
Surgery is a primary method to treat rectal cancer. It can be combined with chemo- and radiotherapies. Rectal cancer surgery options include a broad variety of operations (resection, APR, LAR).
- Rectal cancer diagnostics
- Indications and contraindications for rectal cancer surgery
- Types of rectal cancer surgery
- How to receive rectal cancer surgery abroad?
At Anadolu Medical Center oncologists perform rectal cancer surgery in the Department of Surgical Interventions.
Doctors conduct all kinds of resection to treat benign and cancerous tumors, including endoscopic operations through natural openings or small incisions. Surgeons also perform open surgical interventions to remove cancerous areas of the intestine.
The length of the procedure depends on tumor size and the type of operation. On average, the operation takes 3-5 hours.
Rectal cancer surgery is performed in the Colon and Rectum Surgery Department of Ichilov Medical Cente.
Surgeons carry out all types of resection to treat benign and cancerous tumors. Physicians perform minimally invasive endoscopic operations through natural openings or peritoneum incisions up to 2 cm. Surgeons also carry out open surgical interventions to remove affected parts of the rectum.
The duration of the procedure depends on patient's state of health, tumor size and operation type. On average, the surgery takes 3-5 hours. A patient stays in the Clinic for up to 10 days. Rehabilitation after rectal tumor surgery takes up to 2 months.
Sourasky Medical Center offers to perform rectal resection from $17000. The hospital ranking is 4.4 according to 101 patient reviews. The medical center is located in Tel Aviv, Israel. This hospital is typically chosen by patients from Russian Federation. The travel arrangement takes 2 days. The medical center provides a patient with free airport-clinic transfer, paid clinic-airport transfer and translator. Feel free to request Bookimed to compare the prices and costs of rectal resection in Israel and make a shortlist of the most suitable clinics.
At Teknon Medical Center rectal cancer surgery is carried out by specialists of General and Abdominal Surgery Department. They perform endoscopic (through several incisions up to 2 cm) and open operations to remove affected areas of the intestine.
The length of procedure is 3-5 hours. After the operation, patients are transferred to intensive therapy unit, where they stay under constant supervision of medical personnel. As soon as a patient stabilizes, s/he is moved to a regular ward. Hospital stay rarely exceeds 2 weeks.
Centro Médico Teknon offers to perform rectal resection from $12300 to $32200. The hospital ranking is 4.6 according to 115 patient reviews. The medical center is located in Barcelona, Spain. This hospital is typically chosen by patients from Russian Federation. The travel arrangement takes 8 days. The medical center provides a patient with paid airport-clinic transfer, paid clinic-airport transfer and translator. Feel free to request Bookimed to compare the prices and costs of rectal resection in Spain and make a shortlist of the most suitable clinics.
Physicians treat rectal cancer in Medipol University Oncology Hospital. Rectal cancer surgery options also include chemo- and radiotherapies, often conducted before and after surgical intervention to increase treatment effectiveness.
Onco-patients are managed by a multidisciplinary teams, which consist of specialists from different departments. Each patient receives personalized treatment plan.
Rectal tumor surgery takes 2-5 hours. A patient is under general anesthesia. Hospitalization after the procedure rarely exceeds 14 days.
In LIV Hospital rectal cancer surgery is performed for patients with benign and cancerous intestinal tumors, Crohn's disease, diverticulitis.
The operation is carried out by an open method or endoscopically. Endoscopic intervention is performed through several incisions up to 2 cm or natural openings. The Da Vinci robot might be used to remove a portions of the rectum.
The Clinic conducts all types of resection: including APR for rectal cancer, low anterior resection, and complete removal of the organ with the output of the colostomy. The duration of the surgical procedure is 3-5 hours. After the operation, a patient spends 1-3 days in the Intensive Care Unit (ICU) and up to 10 days in a regular ward.
LIV Hospital offers to perform rectal resection from $8000 to $31000. The hospital ranking is 4.6 according to 74 patient reviews. The medical center is located in Istanbul, Turkey. The travel arrangement takes 4 days. The medical center provides a patient with translator, free airport-clinic transfer and free clinic-airport transfer. Feel free to request Bookimed to compare the prices and costs of rectal resection in Turkey and make a shortlist of the most suitable clinics.
Rectal cancer management depends on the extent of tumor, its stage and proximity to the anus. In most cases, surgeons preserve patient’s quality of life and ability to carry out self-care. The success rate of tumor treatment in early stages is up to 98%.
Rectal cancer diagnostics
Physicians utilize the following diagnostic methods to determine tumor size, its location and metastatic spread:
- PET-CT scan;
- physical exam;
Indications and contraindications for rectal cancer surgery
There are following indications for rectal tumor surgery:
- the tumor is operable;
- the procedure doesn’t pose any risks to patient’s health;
- cancer is localized in the rectum;
- chemo- and radio therapies do not yield needed effect.
Contraindications for the operation include:
- poor overall health condition of a patient;
- cancer has spread to other organs;
- severe infections (HIV, hepatitis);
- blood pathologies that may affect clotting (anemia).
Types of rectal cancer surgery
Surgery is the main and the most effective tumor treatment option. The type of preferred operation depends on tumor localization and its size.
- Local resection surgery is performed for patients with early stages of cancer. The tumor and margin tissues around it are removed. This operation is performed without making incisions - through patient’s anal cavity. The procedure doesn’t put patient’s body under much stress and preserves all its functions. Postoperative recovery in a hospital takes up to 1 week. After the operation, physicians study the margin tissue to determine whether cancer was removed completely.
- Abdominoperineal resection also referred to as APR for rectal cancer. Physicians perform this operation for patients with late stages of the disease, when other management options are ineffective. During the procedure, a part of patient’s colon, rectum, and anus are removed. In some cases surgeons also remove adjacent lymph nodes while performing APR for rectal cancer to prevent cancer spreading. This rectal cancer surgery is complex, performed under general anesthesia. Surgeons make an incision in patient’s abdomen to access cancerous focus points. Then surgeons make an opening in the stomach and connect the end of the bowel to it. It is called a stoma. A special bag is attached to the opening for stool collection. This way patients will be able to empty their stomachs.
Low anterior resection, also known as LAR rectal cancer surgery. During this operation, physicians remove tumors in the upper part of the rectum. It is applied for stage 1 cancer, rarer - for stages 2-3. During the intervention, a part of the rectum containing tumor is removed. The colon is then sewn to the remaining part of the rectum.
Patients who don’t require colostomy after the procedure may need ileostomy. This manipulation has the same intent as colostomy but is completely reversible. Patients need it for a period of up to 8 weeks while the rectum recovers after LAR rectal cancer surgery.
The operation is performed by a team of surgeons in 2-3 hours. A patient stays under general anesthesia. Hospitalization lasts for up to 7 days, rehabilitation takes 4-7 weeks.
How to receive rectal cancer surgery abroad?
How much does rectal resection cost ?
Doctors calculate the cost of the rectal resection individually for each patient. The price may depend on the hospital's reputation and doctor's experience. You may get the final rectal resection cost only after the consultation with a doctor.
57 clinics are represented in the ranking. According to their data, the approximate rectal resection cost is:
- The average cost is $17300. The lowest price is $3100 and the highest — $32200.
The Oncology Department in St. Zdislava Hospital specializes in the treatment of prostate cancer. Specialized procedure - removal of the prostate with the help of the Da Vinci robot. Every year 200 patients come to St. Zdislava for this procedure. The advantage of prostatectomy on Da Vinci is the preservation of erectile function and urination (in 85% of cases). For foreign patients, the Clinic offers a package price. The cost includes medical services, food, accommodation and transfer.
St. Zdislava Hospital offers to perform rectal resection from $12300. The hospital ranking is 4.7 according to 28 patient reviews. The medical center is located in Velke Mezirici, Czech Republic. The travel arrangement takes 5 days. The medical center provides a patient with free airport-clinic transfer, free clinic-airport transfer and translator. Feel free to request Bookimed to compare the prices and costs of rectal resection in Czech Republic and make a shortlist of the most suitable clinics.
At Asklepios, physicians perform rectal cancer surgery in the Visceral Surgery Department.
All types of operations are carried out here: LAR rectal cancer resection, abdominal anal extirpation, transanal endoscopic removal of small tumors. Surgeons use open surgical intervention or endoscopic access (through small incisions in the peritoneum).
Procedure duration depends on chosen technique. On average, it lasts 3-5 hours. After rectal tumor surgery, patients are transferred to Intensive Care Unit (ICU). After their condition normalizes, they are moved to a regular ward. Hospitalization length is up to 2 weeks.
The Oncology Center of Nordwest Hospital (Germany) has the European Society of Medical Oncology certificate.
Specialists The conducts research in the area of tumor immunology.
For the treatment of malignant tumors, oncologists carry out immunotherapy, radiotherapy, chemotherapy and bone marrow transplantation.
At Solingen Medical Center oncologists perform rectal cancer surgery in the General and Visceral Surgery Department. Physicians conduct all types of operations and provide diagnostics utilizing contemporary equipment. Oncologists practise multidisciplinary approach when processing cases. It means that specialists from multiple departments take part in composing the treatment plan.
Rectal tumor surgery lasts 2-5 hours. A patient spends first few days after the operation in the Intensive Care Unit. Overall hospital stay does not exceed 2-weeks period. Complete rehabilitation after the intervention takes up to 3 months.
- Helios Berlin Buch is included in Top German hospitals rating 2018 composed by the Focus magazine. It means that the hospital complies with strict treatment demands, and its therapies show the highest efficiency rate.
- 97% of patients are satisfied with oncology treatment at Helios according to anonymous survey among them.
- Helios Berlin Buch doctors lead the clinical trials of new treatment methods regarding cancer cure in Germany. If you would like and in case you correspond requirements, you can participate in the experiment and try the latest developments.
Bumrungrad International Hospital is a global medical facility in Bangkok, Thailand that specializes in oncology, ophthalmology, orthopedics, neurosciences, heart surgery, check-ups, etc.
Over 1 million patients choose Bumrungrad annually. 50% of them are international ones from over 190 countries.
The hospital is one of the largest private centers in Southeast Asia and one of the most significant world’s outpatient clinics.
Bumrungrad International is recognized as TOP-10 best hospitals and TOP-30 most technologically advanced clinics in the world.
- San Raffaele is one of the best cancer centers in Italy according to the hospital’s data.
- San Raffaele is the 1st cancer center in Europe to apply tomotherapy. It is a type of radiation therapy when beams are delivered slice-by-slice based on intensity modulated radiation therapy (IMRT) and performed by a linear accelerator. It affects cancer cells with high radiation dose avoiding healthy tissues damage.
- Over 9,000 cancer patients and 6,000 surgeries in case of oncology.
- 2,000 radiotherapeutic cycles annually.
- San Raffaele is a top center in Italy to treat cancer with GammaKnife according to the hospital’s statistics.
- Leading Italian scientific research center.
San Raffaele Hospital offers to perform rectal resection from $20000. The hospital ranking is 4.1 according to 17 patient reviews. The medical center is located in Milan, Italy. The travel arrangement takes 5 days. The medical center provides a patient with paid airport-clinic transfer, paid clinic-airport transfer and translator. Feel free to request Bookimed to compare the prices and costs of rectal resection in Italy and make a shortlist of the most suitable clinics.
Oncological Department at Quiron Barcelona is more than just a division of the clinic. This Department is honorary titled as the Baselga Insitute of Oncology. It was named after its founder, a world’s recognized oncologist Professor Jose Baselga. The prior specialization of Dr. Baselga is breast cancer. Annually, more than 3,000 patients get treatment and over 20,000 receive consultations at the Institute. Various scientific researches are conducted on the basis of the Clinic, which allows to develop new treatment methods and urgently implement them into practice.
Quiron Barcelona Medical Center uses a multidisciplinary approach and the latest equipment. It gives an opportunity to exclude inaccuracies during diagnostics and increase the treatment effectiveness.
The Department of Oncology at the Appollo Clinic (Delhi, India) specializes in the treatment of malignant diseases of the prostate, bones, intestines, and liver. < p>
Doctors perform a biopsy to diagnose cancer (blood test). Positron emission computer tomography (PET-CT) determines the location of tumors.
The surgeries are performed with a low-injury method - Da Vinci robotic system. Doctors apply a high-precision TomoTherapy system to irradiate tumors. Patients with inoperable neoplasms are prescribed radiotherapy on the Cyber-Knife apparatus. When removing hard-to-reach brain tumors, fluorescent imaging is used. The technique makes it possible to distinguish malignant neoplasm from healthy tissues.
92% of fluorescent operations are successful.
- Memorial doctors regularly improve their skills in the leading medical facilities in Europe and America.
- Memorial provides cancer treatment in Istanbul according to the strict international protocols.
- Patients out of 90 countries choose Memorial for treatment.
- Application of innovative TrueBeam STx, which performs both radiotherapy and radiosurgery. It influences all cancer types, even big in a size. Due to the high accuracy, healthy tissues are not affected.
Sachsenhausen Hospital was founded as the 1st medical institution for diabetes treatment. Since 1995 the Clinic has been leading hospital in Europe in bariatric surgery. Doctors of the Hospital are among the best specialists in Germany. They provide minimally invasive treatment in 90% of all cases. Centers of Sachsenhausen Hospital are among top medical facilities according to Focus Journal. It is the most authoritative medical magazine in Germany.
Sachsenhausen Hospital offers to perform rectal resection from $21100 to $24300. The hospital ranking is 4.1 according to 10 patient reviews. The medical center is located in Frankfurt am Main, Germany. Feel free to request Bookimed to compare the prices and costs of rectal resection in Germany and make a shortlist of the most suitable clinics.
Clinica Universidad de Navarra (CUN) is the best private Spanish hospital in 2018 according to MERCO (monitoring organization of medical reputation).
Navarra is a leading sarcoma center. 74% of patients get cured of bone sarcoma; and in up to 95% of cases, an affected limb is preserved.
Oncology, Onco-Hematology, Organ Transplant, Neurosurgery, Cardiac Surgery are the primary specialties in Navarra Hospital.
Hospital de Navarra is the 1st in Spain that has received JCI, the US certificate for the high quality of medical services.
Over 700,000 patients from 70 countries have been treated at Navarra.
European Interbalkan Medical Center is a multidisciplinary hospital in Thessaloniki, Greece.
The specialties are the following: robotic surgery, cardiac surgery, neurosurgery, oncology and complete examination (check-up).
The hospital cooperates with the world’s leading medical institutions — Massachusetts General Hospital (USA) and Harvard University (USA).
Hisar Hospital Intercontinental is a multispecialty medical center in Turkey, Istanbul.
The medical center specializes in pediatric and adult cardiovascular surgery, orthopedics, oncology.
Hisar Hospital is certified by JCI (Joint Commission International) that confirms compliance with international standards of treatment quality and safety.
Patients from European, Middle Eastern, and Asian countries choose Hisar Hospital.
- Cancer treatment according to the strict international protocols. According to Medicana information, it is a main center for cancer treatment in Turkey.
- Medicana is a top choice of 1.5 mln international patients from 70 countries.
- Medicana Hospital is a member of American Society of Quality. It ensures a patient in the high standard of treatment reaching the American medicine level.
Medicana Hospitals Group offers to perform rectal resection from $3100 to $6000. The hospital ranking is 4.4 according to 34 patient reviews. The medical center is located in Istanbul, Turkey. The travel arrangement takes 1 days. The medical center provides a patient with free airport-clinic transfer, free clinic-airport transfer and translator. Feel free to request Bookimed to compare the prices and costs of rectal resection in Turkey and make a shortlist of the most suitable clinics.