Below are represented the best pediatric oncology hospitals with the average success rate of cancer — 80%. The advantages of these children’s cancer treatment centers:
- Focus on the organ-preserving surgeries. The best pediatric cancer hospitals apply innovative techniques that allow preserving the eye in case of retinoblastoma, the limbs in case of sarcomas in 75-85% of cases.
- Molecular and genetic tests of the tumor to choose the most adequate therapies (for instance, innovative and sparing chemo-, immuno-, and targeted ones).
- Pediatric cancer treatment centers are designed as huge entertainment centers for children, so a little patient will forget about a disease and feel comfortable. Such positive atmosphere also increases chances for recovery.
Choosing the children's cancer hospital, take into account that the centers have different price policy and response speed that is important when the treatment is required immediately.
To speed up the pediatric treatment arrangement, submit a request on Bookimed. Our Medical Doctor will contact you to find the most competent children cancer hospital to treat a particular oncological disease and arrange the treatment as soon as possible — in 3 days for urgent cases.
Bookimed services do not affect the price from the hospital, you pay all charges right at the chosen pediatric cancer center.
- No.1 hospital in Spain regarding medical technologies, research, care according to HM Hospitales data.
- DNA tests of pediatric brain tumors to choose the most adequate therapy.
- Molecular tests of tumor to apply the targeted therapy.
- The children’s cancer clinic accepts patients from the infant age to 18.
- Pediatric oncology types treated at HM: bone tumors, brain tumors, neuroblastoma, leukemia, etc.
The Children's Oncology Venter of Ichilov specializes in the treatment of tumors in internal organs, blood cancer, sarcomas. Speciatists apply immunotherapy, chemotherapy, provide genetic screening of tumors. When removing tumors, they perform organ-preserving surgeries. The Center treats 3,500 children annually.
On the premises of the Pediatric Oncology Department, there is Bone Marrow Transplantation Center. It is certified by the European Community for Blood and Marrow Transplantation (EBMT).
The Pediatric Oncology Department in Solingen Clinic is certified by the World Health Organization. Here, tumors of various localizations and blood diseases are treated.
Cancer therapy in children is conducted in conjunction with the Oncology Center and the Solingen Center for Radiology.
During treatment, parents are housed in the same ward with the child.
Assuta Hospital is the largest clinic of private ownership in Israel. It develops a lot of medical directions and is highly specialized in surgery, IVF, cardiology (the use of VenaSeal, Cryo and MICRA and other innovative techniques) and oncology. The main distinguishing feature of this medical institution is a high level of attentiveness to the patient’s needs. The option of a surgical operation, an attending physician and a type of the room is not the complete list of things left up to the choice of the patient.
The Pediatric Oncology Department in Asklepios Clinic is one of the largest in Northern Germany. It treats cancerous tumors, malignant blood diseases and provides bone marrow transplantation.
Chemotherapy and immunotherapy are used in the Clinic. Each year, 4,000 patients receive this therapy here.
The team of doctors consists of an oncologist, oncohematologist, pediatric nurses and a child psychologist.
Features of diagnostics in best pediatric cancer hospitals
Specialists prescribe diagnostic procedures depending on the type of suspected tumor. There are such procedures which are conducted in most of the cases:
- methods of visualization (MRI, PET-CT, CT, Ultrasound, X-ray, etc.)
- laboratory tests (urine and blood tests, examination for detecting specific tumor markers in blood)
- a biopsy is taken to identify a nature and type of tumor
- biopsy and lumbar puncture of a bone marrow shows whether it is affected by metastases
- genetic tests show a mutation in tumor and detect its kind with up to 99% accuracy.
According to these examinations, specialists choose specific chemotherapy regimen.
The main feature of diagnostics cancer in children is to make these procedures painless and comfortable for little patients. In some cases, infants or 2-4 years children cannot stay calm, and diagnostics is difficult to be performed. So, in the pediatric oncology hospitals, doctors apply special safe sedation. It means that all procedures are made when a kid is in a light dream: a patient does not feel any discomfort and doctors can perform the diagnostic procedure with up to 99% accuracy.
A child under sedation
Pediatric cancer: types and methods of treatment
Pediatric oncology unites such specific diseases:
- Retinoblastoma is a malignant tumor of the retina (also called eye cancer). In most of the cases, an eye and visual functions are possible to be saved. Treatment options include chemotherapy, coagulation (destruction of a tumor with a laser), cryotherapy (freezing of malignant cells), enucleation (removal of an eye, applied very rare — in 5-6% of cases).
- Neuroblastoma is cancer of sympathetic nervous system. It can appear in any part of a body, giving metastases to lymph nodes, healthy organs, and bone marrow. For treatment of neuroblastoma pediatric oncology physicians apply chemotherapy, immunotherapy (a safe and effective alternative to chemo), radiotherapy, surgery. But in some cases, self-recovery is observed — a tumor together with metastases suddenly disappear.
- Nephroblastoma (Wilm's tumor) is a malignant tumor affecting one or both kidneys. The primary methods for treatment are chemotherapy, radiotherapy and surgical removal of nephroblastoma.
- Ewing’s sarcoma is a malignant tumor of bones. Most common treatment therapies are chemo, radio, proton therapies. Specialists apply a resection of cancer with the following prosthetics of an affected area, and amputation of an affected limb — in advanced cases only.
- Rhabdomyosarcoma is a soft tissue tumor. Chemo-, radio-, targeted- and immunotherapies are applied in the children's cancer centers.
Advantages of children’s cancer treatment centers in different countries
Pediatric oncology is successfully treated in children’s hospitals of Spain, Italy, Germany, Israel, Turkey, etc. Children's oncologists apply organ-preserving methods and sparing chemotherapy.
The treatment of pediatric oncology has its features in the above-mentioned countries:
- Pediatric cancer hospitals in Spain. One of the best pediatric cancer hospitals in Spain and Europe is Sant Joan de Déu. Here pediatric oncology specialists develop innovative therapies against cancer. For instance, Sant Joan is a first hospital in Spain which applied innovative immunotherapy by antibodies to the GD2 of neuroblastoma cells. It increases the recovery rate of patients with neuroblastoma at 20%. Oncologists also apply intra-arterial chemotherapy against retinoblastoma (chemo affects the only tumor without damaging healthy tissues) with recovery rate 90% in advanced cases. Dr. Mora Graupera is famous pediatric oncologist with a wide experience in development of innovative therapies.
- Best pediatric cancer hospital in Italy. One of the leading centers is Ospedale San-Raffaele. Specialists of the hospital apply experimental gene and stem cells therapies. Doctors are ready to accept children even in very advanced cases. The prices are ones of the lowest in Europe.
- Best pediatric cancer clinic in Germany. One of the best pediatric oncologists is Prof. Angelika Eggert working in Charite Hospital. Professor has developed the innovative therapy for neuroblastoma involving molecular therapy. Before going to a hospital, a patient needs to make a prepayment which covers diagnostics and treatment charges.
- Best pediatric cancer center in Israel. Specialists from the Dana Dwek Children’s Hospital (Sourasky) apply immuno-, bean-, brachy- and proton therapies. Specialists have achieved preservation of an eye in 91% of cases with retinoblastoma. The prices are approximately the same as in Germany, and a patient also needs to make a required prepayment which starts from $50,000. It covers all the charges for treatment and diagnostics in a hospital. Final amount can be changed (to become lower or higher) depending on a diagnosis.
- Best pediatric oncology hospital in Turkey. One of the leading clinics is Anadolu Medical Center. It is affiliated with the top world Johns Hopkins Hospital (USA), so all the treatment procedures are performed in strict compliance with American guidelines. The prices are 40-60% lower than in Europe with the same effectiveness. Moreover, a patient does not need to pay additionally for transfer and interpreter. No prepayments are necessary.
Success rates at Sant Joan de Deu
How to choose a hospital for kids with cancer?
Parents should take into account several factors while choosing cancer center for a child:
- Certificates to confirm international accreditation. Top pediatric cancer hospitals have a wide range of quality certificates. These documents prove doctors’ qualification, quality of an equipment and services for little patients.
- Specialized department and doctors. The hospital you are going to must have a dedicated unit where developments of innovative therapies are conducted. Moreover, It will make you sure that the medical institution has a broad experience in the treatment of pediatric oncology diseases.
- Statistics of recovery rates. Compare these indexes with average in the world, and learn which methods are applied to achieve them.
Tips for pediatric cancer treatment in centers beyond your country
- When doctors establish a diagnosis, be sure that you entrust a child’s health to the best professionals. The deal is that in some countries and hospitals doctors prescribe inappropriate chemotherapy regimen. During such a wrong treatment a tumor does not disappear but adapts to the drugs. In this case, top pediatric cancer centers can refuse to accept a child for further treatment because a tumor becomes insensitive and the following therapy is ineffective.
- If a little patient is in a serious condition, not every hospital is ready to accept such a patient. Do not give up and check all the variants.
- Prepare the documents: passports, medical reports (preferably, in English) and be ready for a trip to another country.
- Fill in the form on Bookimed. Doctor-Coordinator will help find the best pediatric oncology hospital for your particular case taking into account a diagnosis, condition of child’s health, financial ability. With Bookimed you can start treatment immediately without queues. Our services are free for a patient; you pay a bill at the clinic desk.
Costs of pediatric oncology procedures
|Chemotherapy||$300 - $9600|
|Immunotherapy||$1150 - $11200|
|Radiotherapy||$3100 - $30000|
|Brain tumor removal||$6850 - $45000|
|Bone resection||$4700 - $17000|
|PET/CT||$480 - $4050|
|MRI of one area||$140 - $1950|
|Biopsy||$450 - $4900|
|Tumor Marker Blood Test||$30 - $1500|
|Breast biopsy||$1200 - $2400|
The Department is the only one in Northern Israel which provides comprehensive cancer treatment in children. Specialists care for children with cancer from birth to 20 years old. They achieve 80% cure rate using international treatment protocols. The psychological help and medical clowns are available in the Hospital to make children’s stay and treatment more comfortable.
Hadassah Hospital is one of the best and the most famous medical institutions in Israel. Hospital was founded in 1934 by Hadassah, the Women’s Zionist Organization in the USA. Hadassah Hospital consists of 2 university clinics:
One of the best medical institutions in the world is The Sarah Wetsman Davidson Hospital Tower. It is a part of the Ein Kerem Hadassah Hospital.
Asklepios Nord is the largest multidisciplinary hospital in Hamburg. It is included in the biggest medical network in Germany — Asklepios Kliniken.
Pediatrics, neurosurgery, gastroenterology, ophthalmology, maxillofacial surgery are the main specialties at Asklepios Nord.
Asklepios Nord is regularly ranked among TOP hospitals in Germany for dentistry, ophthalmology, proctology.
72,000 patients receive treatment in the hospital annually.
Asklepios Klinik Altona is a university hospital of Hamburg, one of the oldest medical facilities in Northern Germany. The medical center belongs to the hospitals’ group of Asklepios Kliniken. Asklepios Altona Hamburg specializes in robotic surgery, gastroenterology, abdominal surgery, neurology, and oncology specialties.
95,000 patients get treatment annually here.
Schneider Children's Medical Center it is international medical center in Petah-Tikva, which takes children with any disease and health problems. It is a leader in variety of medical directions. Owing to highly qualified personal, who surround the care of young patients and carry through maximum effective treatment, reviews of this clinic are full of sincere gratitude.
CDT-WEST is a specialized diagnostic radiology and therapy center in Cologne (Germany).
Specialists conduct health check using the latest CT, MRI, and PET-CT (positron emission tomography) devices.
Radiation therapists carry out such modern techniques as IMRT (intensity-modulated radiotherapy), IGRT (image-guided radiation therapy), DIBH (deep inspiration breath hold radiation therapy). These methods allow treating tumors located close to vital organs safely and effectively.
Alfried Krupp Krankenhaus is one of the largest medical institutions of the Rurh region in Germany. The Hospital consists of 19 departments, 10 certified centers. Alfried Krupp Krankenhaus is a leading facility for emergency patients as the most efficient in severe cases. Annually clinics receives around 80,000 patients and actively cooperates with other European and German medical centers in the field of medical assistance and teaching programs.
The Department of Sheba is the top center in Israel for treatment of cancer in children. It includes Pediatric Oncology Outpatient Clinic, Day Care Unit and Inpatient Ward. Annually 120 new little patients get treatment at Sheba. The Center accepts newborn children and young adults (till the age of 30) who are diagnosed with tumors typical for kids.
Essen University Hospital is one of the Europe leaders which provides high-quality medical services and accurate diagnosis in many areas (oncology, hematology, transplantation and treatment of cardiovascular disease). The hospital has an international authority, successfully combines research work with the practice of the treatment of patients, as well as the development and implementation of innovative treatment techniques, conducting various clinical trials and actively collaborates with leading hospitals around the world.
The Pediatric Oncology Department in Anadolu Clinic (Gebze, Turkey) has the European Society of Medical Oncology (ESMO) accreditation.
The oncologists treat neuroblastoma, retinoblastoma, nephroblastoma, osteosarcoma, Ewing's sarcoma, rhabdomyosarcoma, hepatoblastoma.
The Department is part of the Anadolu Oncology Center.
The Clinic uses MRI and CT to detect tumors, positron emission computed tomography (PET-CT) to determine the localization of metastases.
Tumors are removed using Da Vinci robot and CyberKnife system. Radiation therapy is performed with the help of TrueBeam linear accelerator.
The Pediatric Oncology Department of Medipol Medical Center (Istanbul, Turkey) specializes in the treatment of neuroblastoma, Ewing's sarcoma, nephroblastoma, retinoblastoma, and rhabdomyosarcoma.
The Department is a part of the Medipol Cancer Center.
Medipol oncologists provide CT and MRI examinations to detect cancer. To determine the localization of metastases, the specialists conduct positron emission computed tomography (PET-CT).
Surgical removal of tumors is performed using Da Vinci robotic system or laparoscope. For tumors irradiation, CyberKnife and GammaKnife systems are used.
Klinikum Bremen-Mitte is a multidisciplinary hospital included in the network of medical centers Gesundheit Nord (Nord Klinik Allianz). Bremen-Mitte specializes in oncology, orthopedics, surgery, neurology, and neurosurgery.
In 2015-2016, Focus magazine, an authoritative German edition, included the hospital in the TOP of the leading medical institutions in Germany. The rating is based on patients’ reviews and doctors’ qualifications.
40,000 patients choose Klinikum Bremen-Mitte for treatment every year.
Klinikum Bremen-Ost is a multidisciplinary hospital located in Bremen. The hospital is a part of the Gesundheit Nord-Klinikverbund Bremen network of hospitals. Bremen-Ost Hospital specializes in lung surgery, neurology, psychotherapy, and psychiatry.
Bremen-Ost is among best German medical facilities in 2015-2016 according to the rating of Focus magazine. The rating includes hospitals with positive patients’ feedback and high treatment success rates.
Every year Bremen-Ost receives 19,000 patients for treatment.
- The pediatric oncologists treat even the rare cancer diseases. Over 2,000 children are treated annually.
- One of the highest recovery indexes in Europe according to the children’s cancer center information.
- 90% recovery rate for neuroblastoma with the eye preserving.
- 84% recovery rate for Ewing’s sarcoma.
- 84% is a 5-year survival rate for leukemia patients.
- The children’s cancer center accept patients from the infant age to 21 years.
- Pediatric cancer types treated: all sarcoma types, retinoblastoma, neuroblastoma, Wilm’s tumor, blood pathologies, brain and spinal cord tumors.