Below are represented the best pediatric oncology hospitals with the average success rate of cancer — 80%. The advantages of these children’s cancer treatment centers:
- Focus on the organ-preserving surgeries. The best pediatric cancer hospitals apply innovative techniques that allow preserving the eye in case of retinoblastoma, the limbs in case of sarcomas in 75-85% of cases.
- Molecular and genetic tests of the tumor to choose the most adequate therapies (for instance, innovative and sparing chemo-, immuno-, and targeted ones).
- Pediatric cancer treatment centers are designed as huge entertainment centers for children, so a little patient will forget about a disease and feel comfortable. Such positive atmosphere also increases chances for recovery.
Choosing the children's cancer hospital, take into account that the centers have different price policy and response speed that is important when the treatment is required immediately.
To speed up the pediatric treatment arrangement, submit a request on Bookimed. Our Medical Doctor will contact you to find the most competent children cancer hospital to treat a particular oncological disease and arrange the treatment as soon as possible — in 3 days for urgent cases.
Bookimed services do not affect the price from the hospital, you pay all charges right at the chosen pediatric cancer center.
The Pediatric Oncology Department of Medipol Medical Center (Istanbul, Turkey) specializes in the treatment of neuroblastoma, Ewing's sarcoma, nephroblastoma, retinoblastoma, and rhabdomyosarcoma.
The Department is a part of the Medipol Cancer Center.
Medipol oncologists provide CT and MRI examinations to detect cancer. To determine the localization of metastases, the specialists conduct positron emission computed tomography (PET-CT).
Surgical removal of tumors is performed using Da Vinci robotic system or laparoscope. For tumors irradiation, CyberKnife and GammaKnife systems are used.
The Pediatric Oncology Department in Anadolu Clinic (Gebze, Turkey) has the European Society of Medical Oncology (ESMO) accreditation.
The oncologists treat neuroblastoma, retinoblastoma, nephroblastoma, osteosarcoma, Ewing's sarcoma, rhabdomyosarcoma, hepatoblastoma.
The Department is part of the Anadolu Oncology Center.
The Clinic uses MRI and CT to detect tumors, positron emission computed tomography (PET-CT) to determine the localization of metastases.
Tumors are removed using Da Vinci robot and CyberKnife system. Radiation therapy is performed with the help of TrueBeam linear accelerator.
The Children's Oncology Venter of Ichilov specializes in the treatment of tumors in internal organs, blood cancer, sarcomas. Speciatists apply immunotherapy, chemotherapy, provide genetic screening of tumors. When removing tumors, they perform organ-preserving surgeries. The Center treats 3,500 children annually.
On the premises of the Pediatric Oncology Department, there is Bone Marrow Transplantation Center. It is certified by the European Community for Blood and Marrow Transplantation (EBMT).
The Pediatric Oncology Department in Asklepios Clinic is one of the largest in Northern Germany. It treats cancerous tumors, malignant blood diseases and provides bone marrow transplantation.
Chemotherapy and immunotherapy are used in the Clinic. Each year, 4,000 patients receive this therapy here.
The team of doctors consists of an oncologist, oncohematologist, pediatric nurses and a child psychologist.
Klinikum Bremen-Mitte is a multidisciplinary hospital included in the network of medical centers Gesundheit Nord (Nord Klinik Allianz). Bremen-Mitte specializes in oncology, orthopedics, surgery, neurology, and neurosurgery.
In 2015-2016, Focus magazine, an authoritative German edition, included the hospital in the TOP of the leading medical institutions in Germany. The rating is based on patients’ reviews and doctors’ qualifications.
40,000 patients choose Klinikum Bremen-Mitte for treatment every year.
Features of diagnostics in best pediatric cancer hospitals
Specialists prescribe diagnostic procedures depending on the type of suspected tumor. There are such procedures which are conducted in most of the cases:
- methods of visualization (MRI, PET-CT, CT, Ultrasound, X-ray, etc.)
- laboratory tests (urine and blood tests, examination for detecting specific tumor markers in blood)
- a biopsy is taken to identify a nature and type of tumor
- biopsy and lumbar puncture of a bone marrow shows whether it is affected by metastases
- genetic tests show a mutation in tumor and detect its kind with up to 99% accuracy.
According to these examinations, specialists choose specific chemotherapy regimen.
The main feature of diagnostics cancer in children is to make these procedures painless and comfortable for little patients. In some cases, infants or 2-4 years children cannot stay calm, and diagnostics is difficult to be performed. So, in the pediatric oncology hospitals, doctors apply special safe sedation. It means that all procedures are made when a kid is in a light dream: a patient does not feel any discomfort and doctors can perform the diagnostic procedure with up to 99% accuracy.
A child under sedation
Pediatric cancer: types and methods of treatment
Pediatric oncology unites such specific diseases:
- Retinoblastoma is a malignant tumor of the retina (also called eye cancer). In most of the cases, an eye and visual functions are possible to be saved. Treatment options include chemotherapy, coagulation (destruction of a tumor with a laser), cryotherapy (freezing of malignant cells), enucleation (removal of an eye, applied very rare — in 5-6% of cases).
- Neuroblastoma is cancer of sympathetic nervous system. It can appear in any part of a body, giving metastases to lymph nodes, healthy organs, and bone marrow. For treatment of neuroblastoma pediatric oncology physicians apply chemotherapy, immunotherapy (a safe and effective alternative to chemo), radiotherapy, surgery. But in some cases, self-recovery is observed — a tumor together with metastases suddenly disappear.
- Nephroblastoma (Wilm's tumor) is a malignant tumor affecting one or both kidneys. The primary methods for treatment are chemotherapy, radiotherapy and surgical removal of nephroblastoma.
- Ewing’s sarcoma is a malignant tumor of bones. Most common treatment therapies are chemo, radio, proton therapies. Specialists apply a resection of cancer with the following prosthetics of an affected area, and amputation of an affected limb — in advanced cases only.
- Rhabdomyosarcoma is a soft tissue tumor. Chemo-, radio-, targeted- and immunotherapies are applied in the children's cancer centers.
Advantages of children’s cancer treatment centers in different countries
Pediatric oncology is successfully treated in children’s hospitals of Spain, Italy, Germany, Israel, Turkey, etc. Children's oncologists apply organ-preserving methods and sparing chemotherapy.
The treatment of pediatric oncology has its features in the above-mentioned countries:
- Pediatric cancer hospitals in Spain. One of the best pediatric cancer hospitals in Spain and Europe is Sant Joan de Déu. Here pediatric oncology specialists develop innovative therapies against cancer. For instance, Sant Joan is a first hospital in Spain which applied innovative immunotherapy by antibodies to the GD2 of neuroblastoma cells. It increases the recovery rate of patients with neuroblastoma at 20%. Oncologists also apply intra-arterial chemotherapy against retinoblastoma (chemo affects the only tumor without damaging healthy tissues) with recovery rate 90% in advanced cases. Dr. Mora Graupera is famous pediatric oncologist with a wide experience in development of innovative therapies.
- Best pediatric cancer hospital in Italy. One of the leading centers is Ospedale San-Raffaele. Specialists of the hospital apply experimental gene and stem cells therapies. Doctors are ready to accept children even in very advanced cases. The prices are ones of the lowest in Europe.
- Best pediatric cancer clinic in Germany. One of the best pediatric oncologists is Prof. Angelika Eggert working in Charite Hospital. Professor has developed the innovative therapy for neuroblastoma involving molecular therapy. Before going to a hospital, a patient needs to make a prepayment which covers diagnostics and treatment charges.
- Best pediatric cancer center in Israel. Specialists from the Dana Dwek Children’s Hospital (Sourasky) apply immuno-, bean-, brachy- and proton therapies. Specialists have achieved preservation of an eye in 91% of cases with retinoblastoma. The prices are approximately the same as in Germany, and a patient also needs to make a required prepayment which starts from $50,000. It covers all the charges for treatment and diagnostics in a hospital. Final amount can be changed (to become lower or higher) depending on a diagnosis.
- Best pediatric oncology hospital in Turkey. One of the leading clinics is Anadolu Medical Center. It is affiliated with the top world Johns Hopkins Hospital (USA), so all the treatment procedures are performed in strict compliance with American guidelines. The prices are 40-60% lower than in Europe with the same effectiveness. Moreover, a patient does not need to pay additionally for transfer and interpreter. No prepayments are necessary.
Success rates at Sant Joan de Deu
How to choose a hospital for kids with cancer?
Parents should take into account several factors while choosing cancer center for a child:
- Certificates to confirm international accreditation. Top pediatric cancer hospitals have a wide range of quality certificates. These documents prove doctors’ qualification, quality of an equipment and services for little patients.
- Specialized department and doctors. The hospital you are going to must have a dedicated unit where developments of innovative therapies are conducted. Moreover, It will make you sure that the medical institution has a broad experience in the treatment of pediatric oncology diseases.
- Statistics of recovery rates. Compare these indexes with average in the world, and learn which methods are applied to achieve them.
Tips for pediatric cancer treatment in centers beyond your country
- When doctors establish a diagnosis, be sure that you entrust a child’s health to the best professionals. The deal is that in some countries and hospitals doctors prescribe inappropriate chemotherapy regimen. During such a wrong treatment a tumor does not disappear but adapts to the drugs. In this case, top pediatric cancer centers can refuse to accept a child for further treatment because a tumor becomes insensitive and the following therapy is ineffective.
- If a little patient is in a serious condition, not every hospital is ready to accept such a patient. Do not give up and check all the variants.
- Prepare the documents: passports, medical reports (preferably, in English) and be ready for a trip to another country.
- Fill in the form on Bookimed. Doctor-Coordinator will help find the best pediatric oncology hospital for your particular case taking into account a diagnosis, condition of child’s health, financial ability. With Bookimed you can start treatment immediately without queues. Our services are free for a patient; you pay a bill at the clinic desk.
Costs of pediatric oncology procedures
|Chemotherapy||$300 - $9600|
|Immunotherapy||$1150 - $11200|
|Radiotherapy||$3150 - $30000|
|Brain tumor removal||$6850 - $45200|
|Bone resection||$4700 - $17000|
|PET/CT||$480 - $4100|
|MRI of one area||$140 - $1950|
|Biopsy||$450 - $4900|
|Tumor Marker Blood Test||$30 - $1500|
|CT (computer tomography)||$230 - $1450|
- The pediatric oncologists treat even the rare cancer diseases. Over 2,000 children are treated annually.
- One of the highest recovery indexes in Europe according to the children’s cancer center information.
- 90% recovery rate for neuroblastoma with the eye preserving.
- 84% recovery rate for Ewing’s sarcoma.
- 84% is a 5-year survival rate for leukemia patients.
- The children’s cancer center accept patients from the infant age to 21 years.
- Pediatric cancer types treated: all sarcoma types, retinoblastoma, neuroblastoma, Wilm’s tumor, blood pathologies, brain and spinal cord tumors.
- No.1 hospital in Spain regarding medical technologies, research, care according to HM Hospitales data.
- DNA tests of pediatric brain tumors to choose the most adequate therapy.
- Molecular tests of tumor to apply the targeted therapy.
- The children’s cancer clinic accepts patients from the infant age to 18.
- Pediatric oncology types treated at HM: bone tumors, brain tumors, neuroblastoma, leukemia, etc.
The Pediatric Department of Navarra specializes in the treatment of most frequently diagnosed oncological diseases in children including different types of sarcoma. Doctors have an experience in the treatment of over 1,500 cases of sarcomas in children, and achieve 75% of survival rate. Nowadays Navarra is one of the most important medical center in Spain.
Assuta Hospital is the largest clinic of private ownership in Israel. It develops a lot of medical directions and is highly specialized in surgery, IVF, cardiology (the use of VenaSeal, Cryo and MICRA and other innovative techniques) and oncology. The main distinguishing feature of this medical institution is a high level of attentiveness to the patient’s needs. The option of a surgical operation, an attending physician and a type of the room is not the complete list of things left up to the choice of the patient.
- Teknon Oncology Institute cooperates with the Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center in New York, one of the best in America.
- The leading position in Europe regarding the success rate of treatment, the level of equipment, the experience of doctors.
- It is equipped with the 3-mm multislice accelerator system for stereotactic radiosurgery to destroy pediatric cancer tumors. It is the only such a precise unit in Spain and South Europe.
- Liv children's cancer hospital is certified by TÜV (Technischer Überwachungsverein), European supervision for the quality of medical services. Liv equipment and doctors’ qualification comply with the strictest European standards.
- 20-30% lower prices than in top European pediatric oncology hospitals without quality loss.
- Fast response from the hospital. Liv kids cancer hospital is ready to accept a little patient within 3 days after submitting a request on Bookimed.
- Liv children’s cancer clinic provides treatment of retinoblastoma, brain tumors, sarcomas.
- Liv treats kids from the infant age to 18.
- Specialized Children’s Center works on the premises of Bumrungrad and accepts kids with oncology.
- Artificial intelligence. The IBM Watson supercomputer is used to develop the most effective cancer treatment plan. It stores the medical histories of patients with cancer who were treated in the best world hospitals. IBM Watson scans your data and chooses the most effective treatment option in your particular case avoiding the medical error.
- Bumrungrad is certified by Global Healthcare Accreditation that confirms the hospital’s compliance with the strict treatment standards for medical tourists.
Nordwest Krankenhaus is a multi specialized medical institution, a leading hospital in Germany due to development of innovations, such as 3D ultrasound, anticancer vaccines in targeted therapy. It comprises 5 research institutes and 11 specialized centers.
The Pediatric Oncology Department in Solingen Clinic is certified by the World Health Organization. Here, tumors of various localizations and blood diseases are treated.
Cancer therapy in children is conducted in conjunction with the Oncology Center and the Solingen Center for Radiology.
During treatment, parents are housed in the same ward with the child.
Kyung Hee University Hospital at Gangdong, also known as KUIMS, is a multidisciplinary medical facility in Seoul (capital of South Korea).
KUIMS is a first and only global center that combines different medical approaches in one facility — international medicine with the traditional one.
Oncology, medical check-ups, orthopedics, and dentistry are the leading specialties at Kyung Hee University Medical Center.
The center is a medical partner of the FIFA World Cup Korea/Japan and is recognized as an outstanding facility by WHO and UNICEF.
1,500,000 patient visit KUIMS annually.
- Helios Berlin-Buch is considered the best hospital in Germany according to Focus magazine ranking 2018.
- On the premises of Helios Berlin-Buch, Sarcoma Berlin-Brandenburg works. It gathers the best doctors in Germany specialized in the treatment of this disease.
- Over 2,000 patients has treated sarcoma at Helios.
- The Center treats children with sarcoma in cooperation with Helios Cancer Center for kids.
Ospedale San Raffaele in Milan is one of the largest research hospitals in Europe. It applies exclusive methods for rare immune system and genetic diseases treatment.
Among its achievements — the world's first stem cell therapy for patients with severe combined immune deficiency disorder.
Oncology, oncohematology, neurosurgery, cardiac surgery, and gynecology are the strongest specialities here.
Surgeons of the medical center perform over 50,000 operations annually.
Memorial Şişli Hospital in Istanbul is the largest multidisciplinary medical center in Istanbul. It is the 1st hospital in Turkeу and the 21st in the world accredited by Joint Commission International (JCI) for the high quality of treatment.
Memorial Şişli specialties are the following: oncology, bone marrow transplant, in vitro fertilization (IVF), neurosurgery, and organ transplant. The success rate of organ transplant at Memorial is 90%.
Patients from 92 countries choose Memorial Şişli for treatment annually.
St. Zdislava Hospital is a leading center of robotic-assisted surgery in the Czech Republic. The Hospital specializes in such procedures as the removal of the prostate by Da Vinci robot, bariatric surgery, kidney and bladder surgeries. Annually over 250 patients choose this Clinic for making robotic prostatectomy. St. Zdislava Hospital suggests quality services, 24/7 assistance for a patient. The Hospital is located in Velke Meziříčí City, in the south of the Czech Republic.
Severance Hospital in Korea is an international multidisciplinary clinic at Yonsei University, located in Seoul South Korea. Yonsei Severance Hospital's Health System includes: oncology and rehabilitation centers, pediatric and women's clinics, cardiovascular center and Clinic of Ophthalmology and Otolaryngology. The Hospital has been certified by JCI (Joint Commission International) and serves 1.6 million outpatients annually.