National Institute of Oncology of Israel
Sourasky Medical Center is the largest cancer center in Israel and National Institute of Oncology.
Liver cancer treatment program is developed for each patient individually depending on the stage and area affected by the disease. The most effective early stages liver cancer treatment options are removal of tumor or lobe of the liver. Stages 3 and 4 require chemotherapy, beam therapy, embolization.
Sourasky Hospital provides complex diagnostics to confirm the diagnosis and develop treatment plan. Generally, it lasts from 3 to 7 days.
|Abdominal MRI||500 - 1000 $|
|Ultrasound of the abdomen||200 $|
|Consultation of a gastroenterologist||800 $|
|Consultation of an oncologist||800 - 1100 $|
Liver cancer diagnostics and treatment in Israel in Sourasky Hospital is provided by specialists of the Department of Oncology in cooperation with hepatologists. They apply both open abdominal operations to remove liver tumor and metastases as well as non-invasive techniques that destroy cancer cells without damage to organism. Top oncologists, radiologists and surgeons of Israel work at Sourasky. Transplantologists of the Clinic have access to the international donor database and the highest transplantation success rate in Israel.
Assuta specialists apply original methods of targeted liver cancer treatment that are performed without surgery. They are less traumatic and minimize postoperative complications.
Diagnostic price depends on a set of diagnostic procedures. Additional tests can be needed.
Liver cancer treatment in Assuta Clinic is provided by leading medical specialists in Israel. Accurate diagnostics at early stages and individual approach to the treatment increases success rate up to 90%. 60% patients have long-lasting remission.
Advanced equipment, innovative treatment methods, higher comfort level distinguish Assuta Clinic from other cancer hospitals in Israel.
Liver cancer treatment method depends on the stage of the disease.
|Resection of tumor|
|Chemotherapy||800 - 1500 $|
Oncologists of Rambam Medical Center provide patients with complex diagnostics for determining of liver tumor, its size and location.
|Biopsy||100 - 200 $|
|Consultation of an oncologist||400 - 700 $|
Rambam Cancer Center is recognized as one the best in Israel. Rambam specialists cooperate with European Society of Oncologists, cancer research center of Europe and the USA. These specialists provide liver cancer treatment in accordance with the latest guidelines for beam therapy and chemotherapy as well as apply minimally invasive methods to remove tumors and metastases in the liver.
Treatment of liver cancer in Israel
Liver cancer is a malignant tumor that arises in the result of liver cell mutation under the influence of various factors. This type of cancer is inherent to people under 40 years old. What is more, the incidence among men is several times higher than among women. There are two types of liver cancer: primary and secondary, notably the secondary liver cancer is almost 40 times more common than the primary one.
The liver is the main object of affection in primary liver cancer. This type of disease is common for Asia and Africa. It can develop on the basis of liver cells (hepatocellular carcinoma), cells of the bile ducts (cholangiocarcinoma), and cells of the liver vascular (angiosarcoma) or immature cells of the liver (hepatoblastoma). Secondary cancer has another focus of the tumor, which infects the liver with its metastases. The focus is located, for example, in the stomach, intestine or pancreatic gland.
Only in Israel:
- The high-precision surgeries of liver resection
- The unique technique of ethanol injection
- Minimally invasive targeted therapy
Causes and risk factors
Nowadays the causes of liver cancer have not been fully established yet. Its occurrence is traditionally associated with two factors:
- Viral hepatitis affects the liver. The presence of virus in liver cells leads to chronic inflammation and malfunction of the organ. Also bile ducts and intercellular spaces become inflamed. The presence of virus in the liver for many years leads to cirrhosis, i.e. death of healthy cells and their replacement with tough scar tissue. This infection is particularly dangerous if in addition there are also several forms of hepatitis (B and C, C and D). The phenomenon of cirrhosis is the basis for the liver cancer development.
- Alcoholism. Alcoholic toxins poison liver cells and this also causes cirrhosis and also leads to the formation of cancer.
Rather recently two more possible causes were specified:
- Aflotoxin ingestion, the waste product of Aspergillus, the mold. Most often, the fungus is found in Asia and Africa, it affects wheat, rice and nuts. The presence of aflotoxin in humans increases the risk of liver cancer in almost seven times.
- Infection by Trematoda flatworms. These parasites settle in the bile ducts of the liver, poisoning it with their waste products. The consequence is the appearance of a tumor in the bile ducts.
Less probable causes are the following:
- an excess of iron in the body;
- ingestion of carcinogenic substances;
Risk factors for liver cancer include:
- male sex;
- use of anabolic steroids in sports;
Symptoms of liver cancer
Liver tumor declares itself rather weakly at the stage of its development. At this stage, the symptoms do not differ from the symptoms that are common to all cancers. These include, for instance:
- causeless weakness, loss of appetite and weight loss;
- predisposition to diarrhea;
- low blood pressure, hand tremor, dizziness;
- nausea, sometimes turning into vomiting.
Quite often among these symptoms is a nagging pain in the right hypochondrium.
As the disease progresses, the development of which happens very quickly (literally within few weeks), liver dysfunction happens. Bile is poorly processed and secreted into the intestine. In the result more specific symptoms of this type of cancer appear:
- increased pain in the liver area;
- enlarged liver, bulging out from under her ribs (sometimes it is palpable and the tumor is like a lump of solid matter);
- jaundice, i.e. changes in skin color, whites of the eyes and mouth (up to bright yellow);
- dryness of mucous membranes;
- constant itching and dry skin;
- nasal and gastrointestinal bleeding.
Diagnostics of liver cancer in Israel
The initial stage of liver cancer can be diagnosed in the clinics of Israel with the help of a new method of a blood test for the presence of alpha-fetoprotein, tumor marker of the disease. This is a specific protein and only blood of an embryo has it in a norm. Its presence in the blood of an adult allows to diagnose liver cancer accurate to 70-90%.
- Visual inspection of the patient, analysis of complaints, palpation and knocking the liver area for its change.
- Ultrasound examination of the abdominal cavity. This helps to define the nature, size and structure of the tumor, as well as the presence of metastases.
- Computed tomography (CT) or magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) of the abdominal cavity. They allow to finalize the malignant nature of the tumor, its exact sizes and option of removal.
- General analyses (they allow to determine the indirect symptoms of liver cancer and the patient's readiness for surgery):
o full blood count;
o blood test for bilirubin;
o urine test for urobilin.
The final diagnosis is made after Israeli doctors conduct biopsy, i.e. histological examination of affected liver tissue. Material for analysis is taken using a thick needle under local anesthesia and ultrasound guidance system.
Methods of liver cancer treatment in Israel
At the early stages of cancer development еhe treatment is conducted surgically by resection (removal of the affected part of the liver). This is due to the ability of the body to restore its ¾ remoted volume. It should be noted that, due to the abundance of blood vessels, liver surgery is difficult and quite dangerous. If surgery is impossible, Israeli doctors use other methods of treatment:
- Embolization, an introduction of the blocking mixture to the blood vessels feeding the tumor.
- Ablation, local destruction of cancer cells. The Israeli hospitals use several variations of this method:
o Introduction of the electrodes to the liver tumor for local heating (radiofrequency thermoablation);
o liver vascular blocking by the radioactive isotopes (radioembolization);
o destruction of tumor by low-temperature materials (cryoablation);
- Liver transplantation.
Traditional methods of cancer treatment are hardly suitable. Chemotherapy and radiation therapy are used in very limited doses.
The Israeli hospitals successfully use new methods of liver cancer treatment as well:
- Chemoembolization is a kind of chemotherapy, in which drugs are injected directly into the hepatic vessels supplying the tumor.
- Injection of concentrated ethanol in tumor cells.
- Immunotherapy is the use of special drugs that slow the growth of tumors.
- Targeted therapy is the use of drugs that act directly on cancer cells and does not affect other cells of the body.
Liver resection. Targeted therapy. Liver transplantation.
Liver resection. Embolization. Ablation. Ethanol injection.
Rehabilitation and prevention of liver cancer recurrence in Israel
The goal of rehabilitation is early recovery of normal functioning of the body after treatment. To achieve this goal, the experienced Israeli experts develop a special sparing regimen in treatment that includes proper nutrition, exercise therapy, Chinese medicine techniques and other activities based on the individual characteristics of the patient. The rehabilitation process can take from a few hours to several days.
Prevention of reoccurrence of the disease consists of a healthy lifestyle: proper diet, abstinence from alcohol and dose of physical activities.
Cost of treatment of liver cancer in Israel
The cost of treatment in Israel depends on the occurrence of the disease, its stage, and characteristics of individual patients. You can obtain more information from the specialists of the Bookimed company.
- Methods of liver cancer diagnostics at Sheba Medical Center
- Cost of liver cancer diagnostics at Sheba Medical Center
- Methods of liver cancer treatment in Sheba Clinic
Why Sheba Medical Center is considered one of the leading centers for liver cancer treatment?
Sheba Hospital treats its patients always according to the individual plan, comprised to each patient by a multidisciplinary team of experienced doctors. Some cases of more than five-year living for patients with complex disease due to regular intensive care courses are stated in Clinic. If the disease is detected at its early stages, a full recovery is achieved in more than 80% of cases.
What doctors are specialized in the treatment of liver cancer at Sheba Medical Center?
Internationally renowned Professor Avraam Chernyak, Head of the Department of General and Abdominal Surgery in Sheba Hospital, Dr Arie Arish, Head of the Department of Hepatobiliary Surgery.
Leading colorectal surgeon Dr. Marat Khaikin in Sheba Clinic carries out the most complex laparoscopic surgeries without laparotomy. He also cooperates with other hospitals in Israel, including the largest state, giving Dr. Khaikin a lot of surgical practices.
What are the diagnostics methods of liver cancer in Sheba Hospital?
- Ultrasound of abdominal organs;
- Blood analysis for alpha fetoprotein level – specific oncomarker of liver cancer;
- CT and MRI for determination the exact size of the tumor and the metastasis presence;
- Angiography that can detect vessels supplying the liver tumor;
- PET-CT to detect the degree of disease expansion;
- Liver biopsy;
- Examination, collection of anamnestic information, consultation of oncologist, gastroenterologist and others specialists.
What is the cost of liver cancer diagnostics at Sheba Medical Center?
The cost of the examination program begins from $ 5,000. It is formed individually for each patient, you can get a personal treatment program with the exact prices right now!
What are the methods of liver cancer treatment in Sheba Clinic?
The main method of fighting against liver cancer in Sheba Hospital is surgery.
There are conventional surgeries, cryodestruction and surgeries by means of innovation system of CyberKnife. Small tumors are destroyed by chemical ablation.
Methods of chemotherapy and radiotherapy are the most advanced: transarterial chemoembolization and radiofrequency ablation.
Innovative and effective method is selective internal radiation therapy (SIRT), during which the radioactive particles are administered into the affected organ through the blood supply system, simultaneously exposing the tumor with radiation and stopping its growth.
Oncologists in Sheba Hospital also successfully apply NanoKnife technology to patients with liver cancer. This method involves dotted and selective destruction of cancerous cells with targeting a strong electric field into the malignant tissues. NanoKnife helps to localize the disease and save the neighbouring organs and blood vessels.
Clinic Cancer Center “Herzliya” has thirty years of experience. Center staff takes trainings and gets skills in the best medical centers in the world. Each patient throughout the treatment period is accompanied by a personal manager and translator. Center Department of Diagnostic works quickly and professionally - for the entire period of the department’s activity there was no single case of misdiagnosis. The main pathologies treated in Cancer Center Herzliya are: leukemia, Hodgkin's lymphoma, lymphoblastic leukemia, myeloma, carcinoid tumor, branchiogenic tumor, lung cancer, melanoma, brain cancer and other cancers.
Cancer Center "Davidoff" of Rabin Medical Center is the largest oncology clinic in Israel and the entire Middle East. Every fifth of Israeli citizens gets an aid of the cancer treatment here. The center treats patients with all types of cancer and hematological diseases (leukemia, osteomyelosclerosis, anemia, leukocytosis, and others). The Center includes the departments of radiation therapy, chemotherapy, integrative medicine, palliative therapy and dietology. Center operates with the following cutting-edge techniques for treatment: SBRT, IMRT, IGRT, Rapid Arc., SIRT.