Treatment of esophageal cancer at Ichilov has a number of advantages:
- Multidisciplinarity and multifunctionality of the clinic allows the patient to undergo all necessary examinations on hospital’s premises;
- The best Israeli oncologists and surgeons work at Ichilov;
Prognosis of successful esophageal cancer treatment (stages 1 and 2) - 99%.
Esophageal cancer requires comprehensive diagnosis:
- Gastroscopy (FGDS) - visual examination of esophagus walls with gastroscope;
- Biopsy - tissue collection for subsequent histological examination to reveal presence of cancer cells;
- PET-CT is performed for precise determination of metastases;
- Consultations with gastroenterologist, oncologist, and surgeon;
- Test for tumor markers - included in the expanded blood test.
A full complex of diagnostic procedures takes 3-4 days .
The cost of diagnosing of esophageal cancer starts from $ 4,000.
Resection (partial organ removal) is performed at stages 1 and 2 of esophageal cancer. Removed part of esophagus is reconstructed with the help of a part of small intestine.
At stages 3 and 4 of esophageal carcinoma aggressive metastasis disease starts. Protocol of treatment includes sessions of radio- and chemotherapy, targeted therapy. The number of sessions and doses are determined by attending physician only after diagnosis.
How is rehabilitation after surgery performed?
Postoperative rehabilitation is aimed at restoring functions of the digestive system. It includes a special diet and regular supervision of attending physician.
What is the prognosis for treatment of esophageal cancer at Ichilov?
Treatment prognosis depends on the stage of the disease:
At stages 1-2 of esophagus cancer, survival rate is 99%;
Stage 3 - 65-70%;
Success of esophageal cancer treatment at stage 4 is characterized by stable remission.
Cost of resection of esophagus, including hospitalization and medications starts from $ 30,000. Cost of radiotherapy, chemotherapy and targeted therapy is determined by the protocol of treatment on individual basis.
|Chemotherapy||1500 - 2000 $|
|Radiotherapy||30000 - 35000 $|
|Esophagectomy||20000 - 28000 $|
Well-known oncologists, such as Ron Grinberg and Moshe Inbar work in Assuta Clinic.
Ron Grinberg is a surgeon, leading specialist in treatment of diseases of gastrointestinal tract, reconstructive surgeries on esophagus.
Diagnostics of esophageal cancer includes: FGDS (esophagogastroduodenoscopy for examination of mucosa of esophagus, stomach and duodenum) with biopsy (taking a piece of tissue for further examination), CT, ultrasound of abdominal cavity and doppler of vessels of the abdomen.
Removal of esophageal tumor is performed by Dr. Ron Grinberg - a leading Israeli onco-surgeon.
Depending on esophageal cancer staging, the following methods can be used:
- Minimally invasive techniques (laser and cryogenic therapy - can destroy the tumor without damaging surrounding healthy tissue);
- Partial resection of esophagus (surgery to remove part of the injured organ) and its reconstruction (formation of an artificial esophagus);
- Palliative surgery with impossibility of removing the tumor (is performed to alleviate symptoms of the disease with the subsequent possibility for a patient to eat and drink).
Also successfully used:
- Radiotherapy with modulated intensity;
- Chemotherapy with the use of modern special chemicals;
- Targeted therapy - impact on specific molecules responsible for the growth and development of the tumor).
|Chemotherapy||2000 - 3000 $|
Certified state oncological center
Cancer Center of Rambam Hospital is recognized by the European Society of Oncologists (ESMO).
Annually, department of thoracic surgery performs more than 500 surgeries, both open and minimally invasive. Complex operations are performed on the esophagus.
|CT (computer tomography)||1410 $|
|Consultation of a gastroenterologist|
Treatment program consists of a number of procedures and methods, involving the cooperation of surgeons, gastroenterologists, and oncologists.The main method for treatment of esophageal cancer is esophagectomy.
The surgeon removes part of the esophagus, affected by the tumor, and restores the missing part with tissues of stomach or site of the large intestine.
92% of patients have persistent remission after esophageal cancer treatment at Sheeba.
Esophageal cancer treatment options are provided by one of the best surgeons in Israel - Professor Alon Ben Nun. He performs minimally invasive surgeries, after which a patient is quickly recovered.
In addition to a surgery, complex therapies are also used:
- Chemotherapy (the main method of treatment for later stages);
- Targeted therapy;
Complex diagnosis takes 3 days.
Basic diagnostic procedures:
- Endoscopic examination under ultrasound control - to determine the size and position of tumor and depth of germination in the tissue;
- Biopsy (taken during endoscopy) to determine the stage of tumor’s malignancy;
- PET-CT - to search for metastases in lymph nodes and other organs.
Estimated cost of diagnostic procedures is $ 4,000 - $ 6,000.
|Consultation of an oncologist||500 $|
|CT (computer tomography)|
|Esophagectomy||40000 - 45000 $|
Clinic Cancer Center “Herzliya” has thirty years of experience. Center staff takes trainings and gets skills in the best medical centers in the world. Each patient throughout the treatment period is accompanied by a personal manager and translator. Center Department of Diagnostic works quickly and professionally - for the entire period of the department’s activity there was no single case of misdiagnosis. The main pathologies treated in Cancer Center Herzliya are: leukemia, Hodgkin's lymphoma, lymphoblastic leukemia, myeloma, carcinoid tumor, branchiogenic tumor, lung cancer, melanoma, brain cancer and other cancers.