Diabetes treatment worldwide: trends and figures
- Over 400 mln people worldwide suffer from diabetes according to WHO (World Health Organization) data. The disease is the main reason for blindness, kidney failure, heart attacks, or stroke.
- Diabetes can be treated. The best diabetes treatment centers provide pharmaceuticals therapy or surgery (weight loss, the kidney transplant). The stem cell therapy is available for severe stages of the disease.
- 55% of people with diabetes type 1 and 86% with diabetes type 2 are overweight or obese as reported by NCBI (the National Center for Biotechnology Information). The bariatric (weight loss) surgery is the only option for them.
- Over 1,000 international patients have requested Bookimed regarding diabetes treatment. The hospitals listing below is composed taking into account the best offers for diabetes treatment worldwide according to new methods, doctors’ qualification, and price/quality ratio. 14% of Bookimed patients have chosen Anadolu Medical Center in Turkey because of high-quality therapy at affordable prices.
Call Bookimed medical doctor for advice to choose the most appropriate treatment option and hospital in your particular case together. Learn more about us here.
- Sourasky is among leading diabetic health clinic in Israel and world’s Top 10 medical facilities according to Newsweek magazine, the authoritative American edition.
- Top endocrinologist for diabetes type 2 treatment work in the hospital. Dr. Abeid Subhi has been performing weight loss surgeries to treat diabetes for over 20 years. The doctor is a member of American Society of Bariatric Surgery and heads Sourasky Bariatric Surgery Department.
- Doctors perform bariatric procedures as the latest diabetes treatment. The effectiveness of bariatric procedures at Sourasky is 50-70%.
- Endocrinologists perform surgeries in combination with medical and nutritional supervision to treat the disease and avoid the possible complications.
- 1,6 mln patients prefer Sourasky Medical Center annually.
The medical center offers diabetes type 2 treatments from $20000. The treatment cost depends on procedures required and condition complexity. The average hospital ranking 4.4 according to 89 patient reviews. The travel arrangement takes 2 days. The medical center provides a patient with free airport-clinic transfer, paid clinic-airport transfer and translator. Submit a request on Bookimed website and get the diabetes type 2 treatment cost in Israel and other countries.
- Medipol is one of the most advanced diabetes treatment centers in Turkey. The hospital is equipped with Pyxis Medication Management System. It is an automated device that delivers medications on a schedule to each patient individually to avoid medical errors. The System guarantees the high drug quality and patients’ safety.
- Over 1,200 patients visit Medipol daily.
- Kidney transplant is performed at Medipol as one of the best treatments for diabetes in the world. Surgeons conduct the transplant for the diabetic patients of all age groups with 91% of success rate.
- Anadolu endocrinologists provide health care according to American standards. Anadolu cooperates with Johns Hopkins International Hospital, the leading medical facility in the USA and one of the best in the world. Anadolu doctors interchange their experience with American specialists and provide the latest diabetes treatment.
- Revolutionary equipment is applied in the hospital. Anadolu diabetes treatment center renovates diagnostic and therapeutic technologies every year to treat patients effectively.
- 1 mln patients choose Bumrungrad International annually.
- Bumrungrad is recognized as global hospital. Patients who visit Bumrungrad are from 190 countries worldwide. The hospital is the largest private and outpatient one in the Southeastern Asia.
- Latest diabetes treatment is carried out here. Bumrungrad is included into Top 30 list of the most technologically advanced hospitals in the world according to the Top Master's in Healthcare Administration.
Professor Tvaruzek, head of st. Zdislava surgery department performed more than 1500 sleeve gastroplasty operations. All operations are performed with Da Vinci robotic system. Sleeve gastroplasty average execution time is 30 min (average time in Europe is 60 min). Lenght of stay is usually 2-5 days, depending on patients' health.
What is type 2 diabetes?
Type 2 diabetes (also called adult-onset or non-insulin-dependent) is a longstanding metabolic disorder. The body resists or doesn’t produce enough insulin to maintain glucose (sugar) level in blood.
How does diabetes appear?
The pancreas produces insulin which reduces blood glucose level. Insufficiency or lack of insulin causes diabetes. Body inability to use insulin correctly also leads to the disorder.
- Type 2 diabetes is one of the most common diseases in adults. Over 400 million people are living with diabetes according to World Health Organization estimate. It is 1 in 11 people.
- Over 640 million people worldwide will have diabetes by 2040 in accordance with the International Diabetes Federation assessment.
- 95% of the cases are type 2 diabetes in compliance with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
- 24% of young people are diagnosed with type 2 diabetes despite the opinion that it is an adult-onset disease.
Best countries for diabetes treatment
The Federal Republic is the 3rd best country for diabetes medical tourism in the world according to Statista website.
German endocrinologists provide disease management programs (DMPs) for diabetes type 2 therapy. These programs consist of prevention, strategies, and therapy goals recommended in the international and national guidelines. DMPs improve the quality of diabetes mellitus healthcare and treatment process.
Bariatric surgery is the new treatment for type 2 diabetes and is performed in German hospitals. The size of the stomach is reduced by almost 90% during the operation.
India is among the countries with the highest number of diabetic people. ⅓ of all type 2 diabetes cases is caused with obesity. Weight loss surgery is performed in Indian diabetes treatment centers. During the operation, surgeons decrease the stomach size and help patients to lose weight.
Affordable pricing of the best hospitals for diabetes in India attract medical tourists from over the world. The prices are 40-100% lower than in Germany, the USA, Spain, or Israel. Procedures and the quality of their performing are the same.
Spain is the 7th country in the world to provide high-quality medical services according to World Health Organization (WHO). Spanish diabetic health clinics are among a few medical facilities worldwide where surgeons perform weight loss operation without a scalp.
92% of patients lose weight significantly after the surgical treatment of diabetes. Spanish doctors prefer complex approach in the disease treatment. Beside the surgery, specialists carry out diet therapy, patient’s hormones exam, drug therapy, psychological support, etc.
Type 2 diabetes therapy effectiveness
✔️ 50-95% of diabetic people achieve normalization of blood sugar level after obesity surgery. The effectiveness of the operation depends on the method applied.
✔️ Drug therapy cannot cure diabetes. Medications help to control blood sugar and stop the disease development.
How to choose the diabetes treatment center?
When choosing the best diabetes treatment centers pay attention to:
- Doctor’s experience. The success rate of the best treatment for diabetes type 2 depends on the endocrinologist qualification. Top specialists have certificates which confirm their professionalism.
- Accreditation. It guarantees maintaining of international guidelines. Certified hospitals provide high-quality services and ensure patient’s safety during the procedures.
- Patient’s reviews. People who have undergone treatment in the diabetes outpatient clinics share their experience. They provide information about the hospital stay, the best specialists, and pricing.
Diagnostics in the best hospitals for diabetes
The complete type 2 diabetes examination in the best diabetes treatment centers includes:
- A1C (glycated hemoglobin) test indicates average blood sugar level for the last 2-3 months. The higher blood sugar level is, the more hemoglobin a person has.
- Random blood sugar test is a blood glucose level exam performed for non-fasting people to diagnose diabetes. The test can be taken at any time.
- Fasting blood sugar test is taken after an overnight fast to detect insulin resistance or diabetes.
- Glucose tolerance test is an oral exam that measures body's ability to regulate sugar metabolism.
Which treatment is the best for diabetes?
Medication and insulin therapy
Specialists of diabetes outpatient clinics prescribe drug therapy in addition to diet and physical activity. Such complex approach helps patients to achieve target blood sugar level. The conclusion about the type of medication depends on the sugar level and the presence of diabetes-related problems.
In some cases, specialists in diabetes treatment centers prescribe insulin therapy. Using this treatment method a patient controls blood glucose level and can avoid complications of the disease. Patients have to inject insulin. They shouldn’t take it orally, because it can be digested.
During the consultation with an endocrinologist, the pros and cons of each medication are discussed. The best treatment for diabetes type 2 depends on the kinds of the drugs and aspects of the patient’s health.
Weight loss surgery
Diabetic people with BMI (body mass index) over 35 are candidates for the obesity surgery. 55-99% of patients achieve healthy blood sugar level after the procedure. The success rate of bariatric surgery depends on the operation method.
During the bariatric procedure, a surgeon reduces stomach size. That’s why people cannot eat a significant amount of food. Bypass surgery is considered the latest diabetes treatment. During the procedure, a surgeon bypasses a part of small intestine. It is more effective in comparison with other methods of obesity surgery.
How to undergo treatment in top diabetic health clinic?
✔️ Submit a request on Bookimed website, and a Medical Doctor, who specializes in endocrinology, will contact you. A Doctor will provide you with the information regarding the latest diabetes treatment.
Tell a Doctor about your preferences and ask questions. A Medical Doctor will help you to find the best hospital for diabetes therapy. Then s/he will request a treatment program from the chosen medical center.
❓ The cost of the treatment in your case will be included in the program. It is also possible to arrange a consultation with an endocrinologist.
❗️ We will keep in touch with you from start to finish of your medical trip.
Bookimed is an independent medical service. We do not represent the interests of any specific centers.
Bookimed services are paid for by partner clinics. Our patients pay for the procedures on account of the medical facility.
How much does diabetes type 2 treatment cost ?
|Gastric bypass||$5650 - $25400|
|Gastric band||$6400 - $14400|
|Sleeve gastrectomy||$4450 - $25400|
|Gastric balloon||$4300 - $6250|
|well woman check-up||$100 - $5700|
|Ultrasound||$30 - $700|
|Gastroscopy with biopsy||$350 - $2300|
Doctors calculate the cost of diabetes type 2 treatment individually for each patient. The price depends on the disease type, complications (if any), hospital's reputation, and doctor's experience. You may get the final diabetes type 2 treatment cost only after complete diagnostics and consultation with a doctor.
87 clinics are represented in the ranking. According to their data, the approximate diabetes type 2 treatment cost is:
- The average cost of the consultation is $190. The lowest price is $20 and the highest — $810.
- The average treatment price is $11900. The lowest price is $5600 and the highest — $25200.
- Surgical treatment for diabetes is applied at Liv. Weight loss surgery is considered the most effective therapy method for diabetes- and obesity- associated disorders. Patients notice results in 6 months after the surgery.
- Liv is among top diabetes treatment center within the country. It is recognized as the Center of Excellence according to the Surgical Review Corporation (SRС) that ensures world-class level of patients’ care, safety, and treatment quality.
- Over 50,000 international patients trust their health to Liv doctors every year.
The medical center offers diabetes type 2 treatments from $14500. The treatment cost depends on procedures required and condition complexity. The average hospital ranking 4.6 according to 62 patient reviews. This hospital is typically chosen by patients from Tunisia. The travel arrangement takes 4 days. The medical center provides a patient with translator, free airport-clinic transfer and free clinic-airport transfer. Submit a request on Bookimed website and get the diabetes type 2 treatment cost in Turkey and other countries.
- Leading endocrinologist for diabetes type 2 therapy in Spain works at Teknon. Dr. Juan Ybarra Muñoz has 30 years of experience in the disease treatment. He is a member of the American Diabetes Association that gathers top endocrinologists worldwide.
- Weight loss surgery as new treatment for type 2 diabetes is performed here. 60-70% is excess weight loss in 6 months after the bariatric procedures performed at Teknon.
- Teknon is among the best hospitals for diabetes in Spain. Teknon works on the premises of Quiron Medical Group which is ranked as the 1st in Spain and 3rd in Europe according to medical network’s data due to number of clinics, patients’ recovery index, doctors’ qualification and experience.
Kyung Hee University Hospital at Gangdong, also known as KUIMS, is a multidisciplinary medical facility in Seoul (capital of South Korea).
KUIMS is a first and only global center that combines different medical approaches in one facility — international medicine with the traditional one.
Oncology, medical check-ups, orthopedics, and dentistry are the leading specialties at Kyung Hee University Medical Center.
The center is a medical partner of the FIFA World Cup Korea/Japan and is recognized as an outstanding facility by WHO and UNICEF.
1,500,000 patient visit KUIMS annually.
- Sachsenhausen is the 1st hospital in Europe for treating diabetic patients. The center has recognized the best hospital for diabetes in Germany according to Focus magazine.
- Over 1,000 patients undergo the therapy here annually.
- Comprehensive approach to diabetes treatment is applied here. Endocrinologists provide treatment for patients with diabetes and its complications (neuropathy, nephropathy), diabetic foot, hyperglycemia, diabetes during the pregnancy. They offer the bariatric (weight loss) surgery for diabetes treatment at any stage.
- Surgeons prefer the minimally invasive surgeries in 90% of all cases. A patient notices the significant weight loss and the health improvement after the operation.
- Prof. Thomas Carus is the best endocrinologist for diabetes type 2 therapy with weight loss surgery. He is a leading bariatric surgeon in Germany according to Focus magazine rating. The doctor is a member of the Society for Abdominal Microsurgery. He provides new treatment for type 2 diabetes.
- 80,000 national and international patients visit Asklepios Barmbek annually
- Asklepios Barmbek is recognized as No.1 hospital for foreigners treatment according to the Medical Travel Quality Alliance report.
Memorial Şişli Hospital in Istanbul is the largest multidisciplinary medical center in Istanbul. It is the 1st hospital in Turkeу and the 21st in the world accredited by Joint Commission International (JCI) for the high quality of treatment.
Memorial Şişli specialties are the following: oncology, bone marrow transplant, in vitro fertilization (IVF), neurosurgery, and organ transplant. The success rate of organ transplant at Memorial is 90%.
Patients from 92 countries choose Memorial Şişli for treatment annually.
- 100% of patients are satisfied with the results of treatment according to Kardiolita data.
- Kardiolita is identified as the best hospital for diabetes care in Lithuania due to high quality of medical care. The facility is the only hospital among Baltic and Eastern European clinics to receive an accreditation from JCI (Joint Commission International), an international medical organization promoting high-quality services and patients’ safety in medical facilities worldwide.
- Over 2,000 foreign patients choose Kardiolita annually.
- Weight loss surgery as new treatment for type 2 diabetes is conducted at Kardiolita. Doctors provide 1,300 services a year. Over 15% of them are bariatric ones conforming to Kardiolita report.
The medical center offers diabetes type 2 treatments from $5600 to $6750. The treatment cost depends on procedures required and condition complexity. The average hospital ranking 4.4 according to 37 patient reviews. The travel arrangement takes 3 days. The medical center provides a patient with free airport-clinic transfer, free clinic-airport transfer and translator. Submit a request on Bookimed website and get the diabetes type 2 treatment cost in Lithuania and other countries.
Medicana Group of Hospitals is a large healthcare organization that follows world’s standards of treatment. It comprises 12 modern clinics and employs over 3,500 medical personnel. All hospitals have high-tech equipment, caring and experienced medical staff. Medicana Hospitals meet quality and service standards of the Turkish Ministry of Health and the Joint Commission International (JCI).
Medical Center DOC Dortmund is a high German quality of diagnostics with using modern technology research in Germany.
San Raffaele Diabetes Treatment Center offers diabetes and other metabolic disorders treatments. Specialists provide the diabetes treatment according to the National Institute for Obesity Treatment strict guidelines. The Institute warrants the patients' safety and the procedure effectiveness.
Bariatric surgery is a new treatment for type 2 diabetes. Over 1,000 operations are performed at the Center annually. Metabolic procedures are carried out with laparoscopic low traumatic methods. This technique provides the best aesthetic results and reduces postoperative pain.
The medical center offers diabetes type 2 treatments from $10100. The treatment cost depends on procedures required and condition complexity. The average hospital ranking 4.3 according to 16 patient reviews. The travel arrangement takes 5 days. The medical center provides a patient with paid airport-clinic transfer, paid clinic-airport transfer and translator. Submit a request on Bookimed website and get the diabetes type 2 treatment cost in Italy and other countries.
Memorial Hospital Bahçelievler (Memorial Bahçelievler Hastanesi) is a multidisciplinary medical center in Istanbul with an eco-friendly design. There are a lot of green areas on the hospital territory, which contribute to patients’ psychological comfort and their speedy recovery.
The medical facility specializes in cardiovascular surgery, orthopedics, urology, gynecology, general and robotic surgery.
Zulekha Hospital Dubai is a private multidisciplinary medical facility that is a part of Zulekha Healthcare Group. The Hospital specializes in cardiology and heart surgery, minimally invasive surgery, orthopedics, gynecology, and childbirth.
JCI certificate and Dubai Quality Award prove the high quality of medical services of the Hospital.
International patients from Germany, India, Pakistan, and Nigeria choose this Clinic.
The medical center offers diabetes type 2 treatments from $6850. The treatment cost depends on procedures required and condition complexity. The average hospital ranking 3.7 according to 6 patient reviews. Submit a request on Bookimed website and get the diabetes type 2 treatment cost in United Arab Emirates and other countries.
- 6,000 patients are registered in Severance diabetes outpatient clinic for now.
- Over 1,6 mln patients visit Severance every year.
- World-class medical staff provide health care at Severance. 1,300 doctors provide a comprehensive diabetes treatment at any disease stage.
Apollo Clinic is one of the best diabetes hospitals in India. Specialists of the Hospital provide the disease treatment in Apollo Sugar Clinic.
Apollo specialists team treats diabetes. It consists of endocrinologists, neurologists, ophthalmologists, nutritionists. Consultation with the doctors is the 1st phase of diabetes treatment. The therapy plan is discussed with a patient individually.
Apollo doctors offer 7 programs for the best diabetes treatment in India. The duration of a certain program differs. They include the diagnostics, doctors’ consultations, regular screening, nutrition education, and so on. A patient receives 24/7 assistance and specialists’ monitoring.
The medical center offers diabetes type 2 treatments from $7200 to $9950. The treatment cost depends on procedures required and condition complexity. The average hospital ranking 3.5 according to 7 patient reviews. The travel arrangement takes 5 days. Submit a request on Bookimed website and get the diabetes type 2 treatment cost in India and other countries.