Which country is the best for medical treatment? Medical tourism is traveling across international borders to obtain medical treatment. According to Patients Beyond Borders source, over 14 mln people receive the treatment abroad annually. And the number of patients who prefer treatment abroad is growing each year.
Why is medical health tourism so popular among patients?
According to the Medical Tourism Association, the reasons why people choose other countries instead of the home one are the following:
- 56% patients want to obtain a higher quality of treatment
- 22% look for cheaper prices
- 18% seek a treatment option not available at home
- 10% want to undergo treatment as soon as possible without queues.
Bookimed, a leading platform for searching best treatment across the world, has composed the ranking of top 10 destinations for medical tourism in the world. The list of the best places for treatment has been made according to Bookimed patients' reviews, level of healthcare in a particular country, prices for medical services, doctors' experience.
Among the top 10 destinations for medical tourism are:
Learn more pros and cons of a particular country for medical tourism and choose the best one according to your preferences.
Thailand is considered one of the best countries for medical tourism in the world. It is a top medical tourism destination for patients from the USA, Canada, the Middle East, Europe, Vietnam, and Laos.
Thai institutions provide advanced medical services in orthopedics, oncology, plastic surgery, dentistry, ophthalmology, HIV/AIDS treatment, deliveries, etc.
Why do patients consider Thailand as one out of top countries for medical tourism?
Over 2 mln medical tourists choose Thailand annually due to:
- Affordable prices for medical services. They are 50-80% lower than in the USA, Canada or Europe.
- The advanced level of medicine. A lot of Thai medical centers are internationally certified — they have got Joint Commission International (JCI) accreditation. It confirms that the level of treatment, doctors’ qualification, and patients’ safety comply with the strict international standards.
- Short waiting time to obtain treatment. Hospitals in Thailand accept foreign patients in the shortest term. You just need to schedule a time of your arrival.
- Ability to combine medical procedures with holidays abroad.
Top hospital for medical tourism In Thailand
Submit a request to get a treatment cost in a Thai hospital. This option is free.
Book the hospital for treatment in Thailand
Over 700,000 foreign patients choose Turkey as a top medical tourism destination annually. For the last decade, Turkish medicine has achieved the world-class level due to billions of investments. Over 300 Turkish hospitals have developed the relationships and affiliations with world-leading medical facilities such as Johns Hopkins, Mayo Clinic, Memorial Sloan Kettering, etc. Such a cooperation allows Turkish medical centers and doctors receiving the best international experience and implement the most advanced equipment.
Why is Turkey chosen as one of the top countries for medical tourism?
Patients from the Middle East, North Africa, North America, Europe, Russia consider Turkey as one of the best countries for medical tourism due to:
- The world-class medicine. The Turkish doctors practice in the leading American and European clinics to receive new knowledge and experience.
- The state-of-the-art equipment. Turkish hospitals listed on this page are equipped with the latest technologies available in the leading American hospitals.
- Low prices. Prices for treatment in Turkey are 2-4 times lower than in the USA or Europe, and 1.5-2 times than in Thailand. The affordable costs are explained by general low price policy in the country oriented on the average income of local citizens.
- All-inclusive service. Turkey is also one of the best medical tourism destinations because hospitals provide free transfer, accommodation, language assistance. It makes a foreign patient feel comfortable and safe.
- The absence of queues. Turkish hospitals are foreigners-centered. So, in urgent cases, they are ready to accept a patient within 1-2 days.
Patients choose Turkey destination for health tourism to treat neurosurgical, ophthalmological, oncological, cardiac, orthopedic diseases. It is also one of the best medical tourism places to have plastic surgery. Organ transplant (kidney, liver, pancreas) is also in a great demand due to high success rate — 95%.
Best hospital for medical tourism in Turkey
Book the hospital and get a cost estimate for treatment in Turkey. This option is free.
Book a hospital for treatment in Turkey
India belongs to Top 5 medical tourism countries according to Global Healthcare Workforce Alliance. Over 460,000 international patients choose India for treatment. Mostly, they come from Bangladesh, Iraq, Nigeria, Kenya, Pakistan. However, the number of patients from America, Canada, Europe increases each year.
India is one of the most promising countries for medical tourism: annually the quantity of foreign patients grows by 25%.
Why is India getting so popular country for medical tourism?
- High level of medical care. There are 2 types of hospitals in India — state and private ones. Medical tourists go for treatment only to the private medical facilities. 22 of private hospitals have the Joint Commission International (JCI) certificate. It confirms the compliance of treatment with strict international standards. For comparison, only 10 medical facilities in Germany are JCI-accredited.
- Low prices. India is considered one of the best places for medical tourism due to the price-quality ratio. The treatment costs are some of the lowest in the world — the medical procedure of the same quality in the USA costs up to 10 times higher. Such low costs are explained by general price policy in the country.
- High-quality generics. India produces the licensed analogs of American drugs (generics). Their producing in India is 10-17 times cheaper than in the USA, that is why treatment in India is so affordable.
- World-recognized doctors. Currently, over 41,000 Indian doctors practice in the leading American and European hospitals and adopt their experience at home. Some of the specialists have become the best in the world. For instance, Dr. Mohammed Rela is recognized best world transplant surgeon, included in the Guinness Book of Records. He has performed over 4,000 liver transplant procedures.
- No language barrier. 100% population in India speak English that is why foreign patients won’t feel any problems with communication.
India is the best place for medical treatment if you seek treatment in:
- cardiac surgery
Top hospitals for medical tourism in India
- Global Hospital
- Apollo Hospital
- BLK Super Specialty Hospital
- Medanta Hospital
- Dr. Rela Medical Centre
Book the hospital and get cost estimate for treatment in India. This option is free.
Book a hospital for treatment in India
Korea is one of the most technologically advanced countries in the world. Innovative developments are actively implemented in medicine. According to Bloomberg magazine, Korea takes the 4th place regarding the effectiveness of healthcare.
The number of people who consider South Korea one of the best places for medical tourism is about 700,000 patients annually.
Why may South Korea become top medical tourism destination in the world?
- Well-trained doctors. The Korean healthcare makes strict demands to medical students. Only 1% of them become doctors after very strict selection.
- Internationally accredited hospitals. The required condition for leading medical centers is to receive JCI accreditation. Now there are 28 JCI-accredited facilities.
- The state-of-the-art equipment. Such companies as Samsung, LG, and Hyundai produce medical equipment specially for Korean hospitals. It is renovated every 3-5 years. Due to this, South Korea takes the 2nd place regarding the level of technical equipment in the world.
The most popular specialties among medical tourists are:
- oncology (one of the highest recovery indexes in the world — 99.7% for thyroid cancer, 90.6% for breast cancer, 65.6% for stomach cancer)
Top hospitals for medical tourists in South Korea
- KUIMS (multidisciplinary hospital)
- Severance Hospital (multidisciplinary hospital)
- Samsung Medical Center (multidisciplinary hospital)
- JK Plastic Surgery Clinic
Book the hospital and get a cost estimate for treatment in South Korea. This option is free.
Book a hospital for treatment in South Korea
250,000 patients from about 170 countries choose Germany as best country for medical tourism annually. Germany takes the 2nd place for quality of service and facilities in the world according to Medical Tourism Index. This country takes top positions regarding the amount of investments in the medicine development.
Why is Germany considered one of top medical tourism destinations?
- Innovative technologies. German hospitals are equipped with the most precise diagnostic and surgical devices to achieve the best treatment results. German doctors also lead great scientific work. Among their breakthrough achievements is a possibility to clean the HIV positive men’s seminal fluid off the virus to perform IVF.
- State level certification. Each German hospital must receive approvement from numerous organizations such as German Institute of Standardization, Cooperation for Quality and Transparency in Healthcare, etc. These certificates ensure patients in quality and safety of the treatment.
- Original drugs. All drugs used in German hospitals are produced inside the country according to strict standards of the European Union.
- Price transparency. Prices for medical services are regulated on the state level, so foreigners pay the same price as local citizens. The treatment cost in Germany is 2-3 higher than in Turkey or Thailand. But it is possible to obtain affordable treatment even in Germany — choose the hospitals located in small towns, not big cities like Berlin or Munich. It allows saving 10-30% of the money.
Patients choose Germany as top country for medical tourism to treat almost any disorder. However, the most popular specialties are:
- cardiac surgery
Top places for medical tourism in Germany
Book the hospital and get a cost estimate for treatment in Germany. This option is free.
Book the hospital for in Germany
Switzerland is less popular medical tourism destination among patients compared to above-mentioned countries because of ones of the highest prices in Europe. However, it is not a point for medical tourists who value the quality of treatment.
Switzerland is a less popular place for medical tourism among European patients but is preferable for medical tourists from Brazil, China, India, Middle Eastern countries.
Why do people consider Switzerland as one of the best countries for health tourism?
- High level of treatment. Swiss hospitals comply with the strictest European and international standards of treatment, so a patient receives the most qualitative medical help.
- Only the latest equipment. Swiss government makes enormous investments in the development of local healthcare, so only innovative technologies are used.
- Over 300 hospitals across the country. Despite the small size of Switzerland, there are a lot of medical facilities within the country. They serve patients without queues and provide with high-quality medical care.
- Highland climate that stimulates recovery. Switzerland is located between mountains, so patients can enjoy the freshest air and picturesque views.
- VIP-services. Most of the Swiss hospitals offer luxury conditions of stay — the wards are like 5-star hotels with an amazing view. Medical facilities provide language assistance, transfer, and the staff makes all their best for the patient's comfort.
Choosing Switzerland as the best medical tourism destination for treatment, a patient will pay more but also will receive exceptional medical care and full assistance.
Best hospitals for medical tourism in Switzerland
- Lemanic Clinic (plastic surgery)
- Genolier Hospital (multidisciplinary hospital)
- Générale Beaulieu Clinic (multidisciplinary hospital)
Book the hospital and get a cost estimate for treatment in Switzerland. This option is free.
Book a hospital for treatment in Switzerland
Spain is less popular country for health tourism than Germany, for instance. But each year more and more medical tourists from Great Britain, France, the USA, Near East choose Spain. There are over 750 hospitals (18 are JCI-certified), 2.4 mln performed surgeries annually.
Spain offers the advanced treatment of pediatric oncology. For instance, Sant Joan De Deu Hospital is one of the best in Europe and world hospitals which accepts children with oncology. Due to clinical trials and developments, the specialists have achieved 84% cure rate for patients with Ewing’s sarcoma and lymphoblastic leukemia, the best indexes in Europe. Among the most powerful facilities in neurosurgery and neurology is Teknon Medical Center.
Why do peoples choose Spain for medical tourism?
- The Spanish healthcare system takes 7th place in the world according to World Health Organization.
- Affordable prices. The treatment cost in Spain is approximately at the same level than in Germany and other European countries, but 2-3 times lower than in the USA or Canada.
- Chance to have treatment and holidays abroad. Spain is top country among tourists for its outstanding nature, culture and mild climate. Patients can combine high-quality treatment with unforgettable rest.
Patients consider Spain as one of the best medical tourism countries in such specialties as:
Top hospitals in Spain for medical tourism
- Teknon Medical Center
- Quiron Barcelona Hospital
- Clinica Universidad de Navarra
- Sant Joan de Deu (children's hospital)
Book the hospital and get a cost estimate for treatment in Spain. This option is free.
Book a hospital for treatment in Spain
Italian healthcare system complies with the highest European standards. Local hospitals provide the advanced treatment of neurosurgical, orthopedic, cardiac, orthopedic diseases.
Esthetic medicine is also highly-developed in Italy. However, it is less popular medical tourism destination among foreign patients nowadays but has a promising perspective in future.
Why is it worth choosing Italy as medical tourism destination?
- Innovative approach. Some Italian hospitals are involved in scientific research (San Raffaele Ospedale, for instance) in the field of molecular medicine to treat diseases of the nervous system, metabolic, immune and genetic pathologies.
- A possibility to combine the treatment and holidays abroad. Italy is a top destination among tourists. Italy attracts people with cozy colorful towns, historical sites, picturesque nature, delicious food. The climate is mild that may speed up the recovery after treatment.
The price policy in Italian hospitals is at the same level as in German or Spanish ones.
Best destinations for medical tourism in Italy
Book the hospital and get a cost estimate for treatment in Italy. This option is free.
Book a hospital for treatment in Italy
Israel is one of the most underestimated medical tourism destinations in the world — it takes the 1st place regarding the quality of medical services according to International Healthcare Research Center.
Annually only 30,000 patients visit this country to undergo treatment, mostly from the CIS countries. However, the trend is changing, and each year more and more people find out about Israel as one of the best places for medical tourism.
Why do patients consider Israel as the best place for health tourism ?
- Both state and private hospitals are on the same high level regarding technical equipment. They comply with the strictest world treatment standards.
- Highly-trained doctors. Israeli doctors educate for 13-15 years depending on the specialty. The educational program includes compulsory practice in the American and European hospitals. Such an approach has allowed to achieve 97% safety rate, the highest in the world.
- Advanced equipment. Israeli hospitals are equipped with the same high level as leading European or American medical facilities.
The primary specialties for treatment are:
- oncology — the average treatment efficiency is 80%
- neurosurgery — 98% is a success rate for surgeries on the brain and spinal cord, the highest in the world
- IVF — 60% is a success rate.
Popular medical tourism destinations in Israel
Book the hospital and get a cost estimate for treatment in Israel. This option is free.
Book a hospital for treatment in Israel
Ukraine is not a top destination for medical tourism among inbound patients, however, it is getting more popular each year due to low prices and world-class medicine in some fields.
Ukrainian hospitals listed on this page comply with European healthcare standards and provide high-quality medical care. Ukraine offers cost-effective treatment in stem cell therapy, cardiac disease treatment, ophthalmology, and plastic surgery.
Why is Ukraine is among the top 10 countries for medical tourism?
- Unique treatment options unavailable in other countries. Stem cells are immature cells that have the ability to renovate themselves and transform into any specific ones in the body. They are applied to treat neurological, ophthalmological, orthopedic, endocrine, heart diseases, skin defects like scars, burns, injuries. Ukraine is the only country where doctors apply fetal stem cells for therapy. They are suitable for each patient. Specialists apply stem cells therapy in combination with rehabilitation for patients with autism, multiple sclerosis, cerebral palsy, etc to achieve great results. That is why Ukraine is a top country for medical tourism in this field.
- Affordable prices. Ukraine is a developing country, so the general price policy here is low. A patient receives treatment 2-3 times cheaper than in Germany, Italy, or Spain. You will also pay less for accommodation, meals, transport.
- European level of medicine. Medical centers that serve international patients employ doctors who practice in European and US medical centers.
Best places for medical tourists in Ukraine
- ABLOU Stem Cell Clinic
- Ukrainian Academy for Plastic Surgery
- Dental Dynastia Network of Clinics
- Astra Dent Dental Clinic
- Noviy Zir Hospitals Group for Ophtalmology
Book the hospital and get a cost estimate for treatment in Ukraine. This option is free.
Book the hospital in Ukraine
It can be difficult to choose the country for medical tourism, especially when it is the first treatment abroad. Due to this, Bookimed works 24/7 to assist you in medical trip arranging.
We cooperate with over 300 medical centers in the world and have already helped over 170,000 patients. That is why we know all details regarding treatment in any country and hospital represented on our website. Bookimed managers stay in touch with a patient during the whole period of treatment to solve any unforeseen issue.
Our services are free for a patient. All the bills are paid right in the chosen hospital. Bookimed acts as a guarantor of a fair financial relationship between a patient and a hospital.
Submit a request to contact our specialists and find your perfect medical tourism destination.
Submit a request