Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center
Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center is the oldest and largest hospital in the world specializing in oncology treatment. The Center is among top 2 facilities in the USA for pediatric cancer treatment. Oncologists of Sloan Kettering Hospitals develop the innovative cancer research programs and provide training programs for the new generation of specialists. Over 15, 600 medical specialists carry out the treatment of 200 cancer types. A lot of experts are among National Academies of Science and Medicine members.
- The Radiation Oncology Department
- The Surgery Department
- The Pediatrics Department
- The Neurosurgery Department
Memorial Sloan Kettering Center was founded in 1884. Firstly, it was Cancer Hospital for the Upper West Side in Manhattan, New York. The new Memorial Hospital was opened in 1939 on York Avenue with John D. Rockefeller’s donations.
In 1940s Alfred P. Sloan and Charles F. Kettering established the Sloan Kettering Institute (SKI), which became one of the best biomedical research centers in the USA. Only in 1980 Memorial Hospital and Sloan Kettering Institute were combined in one medical facility - Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center.
The Centers of Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Hospital are located in New York City, Long Island, Westchester Country and New Jersey.
Advantages of Sloan Kettering Cancer Center:
- Radiologists provide the innovative imaging technologies for establishing 100% accurate cancer diagnosis. Specialists detect over 40,000 kinds of malignant tumors.
- Oncologists apply the cutting-edge methods and technologies for radiation therapy. The unique intensity-modulated radiation therapy reduces the influence of cancer to surrounding tissues and organs.
- Cancer doctors of Memorial Sloan Kettering Hospital in New York are the leaders in the US to develop new chemotherapy drugs for more effective cancer treatment. 120 laboratories are focused on the elaboration of new medicines for different cancer types.
- Sloan Kettering’s oncologists are considered as one of the best in the USA according to New York journal ranking.
- The medical staff of the Cancer Center undergoes training to increase the level of healthcare services. Nurses are trained by oncology specialists to provide excellent medical care for the patients with cancer.
Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, New York, the USA
The Department consists of 2 subdivisions:
- External-Beam Radiation Services
- Brachytherapy service.
Sloan Kettering specialists developed a unique method for prostate cancer treatment — stereotactic hypofractionated accelerated radiation therapy (SHARP), which helps to increase success rate of cancer treatment.
Brachytherapy is also performed for prostate cancer treatment. Specialists apply brachytherapy with the help of portable CT unit that makes radioactive seeds place in the exact spot needed.
For breast cancer treatment, the oncologists carry out the intensity-modulated radiation therapy. This method is based on covering the treatment area with the high number of beams. This treatment option helps to preserve heart and lung function.
Oncologists treat lung cancer in the early stages using implantable positioning devices for more efficient treatment.
Surgeons perform stereotactic radiosurgery with the high doses of radiation to cure pancreatic cancer and brain tumors. Pancreatic cancer treatment takes up to 5 sessions. Metastatic brain tumors are treated with the high doses of radiation for 1 day.
Radiologist Joseph Erinjeri and Dr. Noor Ahmad carry our embolization procedure at Sloan Kettering Cancer Center
Over 100 world-class surgeons perform the operations in the Department. Specialists prefer minimally invasive procedures (laparoscopic and robotic ones). Surgeons of Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center treat thoracic, gynecologic, gastrointestinal, prostate cancer and others.
The surgeons carry out the robot-assisted laparoscopic operations using visualization technique. It helps to avoid the nerves injuring and reach the high level of precision. Sloan Kettering’s surgeons also use Da Vinci robotic system. There is the most significant number of Da Vinci robots in New York City.
The Surgery Department includes the Advanced Reconstruction Center. Surgeons restore the physical appearance of the patients’ bodies after cancer treatment.
For the mandibular (law) reconstructive procedures, the specialists use AutoCAD to map and measure bone more precisely.
Over 400 breast reconstructions are performed in the Center annually.
The Surgery Department in Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center
The Pediatric Oncology Department of Memorial Sloan Kettering Hospital is the center of excellence providing treatment for children, teenagers, and young adults with cancer and blood diseases. Oncologists carry out surgical method and bone marrow transplantation for pediatric oncology treatment.
Specialists of the Department specializes in the treatment of benign and malignant brain and spine tumors. Patients with the degenerative spine problems undergo treatment here. Neurosurgeons perform over 800 brain operations and over 1,500 spine surgeries annually.
Sloan Kettering’s services
- Air Travel Assistance
The staff of the Center offers help patients and their families with the air travel to Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center.
The accommodation in the selected hotels is available for the patients and families.
- Restaurant Discounts
Memorial Sloan Kettering patients have 10% discount in several restaurants.
- 321 hospitals worldwide
- Customer care support 24/7
- Patient reviews and global community