Medical tourism in Germany
Germany is included in TOP 5 countries for medical tourism
- System of Healthcare in Germany
- What diseases are treated successfully in Germany?
- Cost of treatment in Germany
- Leading clinics of Germany
- Applying for Visa
- What do you need to know before going to medical travel to Germany?
- Cultural features of Germany
- Advantages and disadvantages of treatment in Germany
System of Healthcare in Germany
System of healthcare in Germany takes 4th place in the world rating, that is why Germany is one of the leading directions of medical tourism. Patients all over the world visit Germany to get TOP class medical services in all fields of medicine. University hospitals are considered as the most highly-qualified and developed medical institutions.
Medical tourism in Germany is more popular for patients from neighboring countries, such as the Netherlands, Poland, France, Austria, Belgium, Switzerland , also prefer getting medical help in Germany. This direction is quite popular among patients from the United Arab Emirates and Saudi Arabia. In 2013, Germany adopted the "Law about Medical Error", according to which each patient has a right to get high-quality service, second opinion and medical confidentiality. Annually, Germany is visited by people from over 170 countries with the aim of medical tourism. Such popularity of medical tourism in Germany is caused by the following reasons:
- Professionals with world’s name
- Cutting-edge methods of diagnostics and treatment
- Common prices both for German and foreign patients (all prices are regulated on the state level)
- All German clinics are certified by ESMO (European Society for Medical Oncology) and JCI (Joint Commission International)
- Patients can choose any clinic in Germany by themselves
- Most staff in German clinics speaks English proficiency
- Original drugs that produce specially for the European Union.
What diseases are treated successfully in Germany?
Effective researches are conducted in all fields of healthcare: from multiple sclerosis and radiology to genetic diseases. Neurosurgery, gastroenterology, cardiology, orthopedics and especially, oncology - here Germany has established itself as an expert, German doctors help even those patients who were refused to treat in other countries.
Also, patients go to Germany to get high-quality gynecological care, in particular, help in artificial insemination and parturition.
The main feature of medical tourism in Germany is that patients can be sure in professionalism and competency of any doctor they appeal to.
Cost of treatment in Germany within medical tourism
One of the main reasons why patients all over the world choose Germany for medical tourism is its democratic price policy. All the prices of medical services are regulated on the state level, so foreign patients can get high-quality help of the same cost as Germans. Clinics calculate the cost of medical services according to the DRG directory.
Of course, Germany is not the cheapest country for treatment, but if we speak about price-quality ratio, Germany is the best choice. For example, treatment in USA and Switzerland can cost three times as much. For example, hip replacement in USA will cost $50,000, but in Germany – 16,000 €.
The main competitors in medical tourism for Germany are some Asian countries. But even there the prices of medical services are more expensive than in Germany.
If the foreign patient decides to get treatment in Germany, it is necessary to pay a deposit. A clinic presents the invoice to the patient on the basis of the necessary diagnostics and procedures before treatment. This invoice represents the price range to demonstrate minimum and maximum costs of necessary treatment. All money, which won’t be used, will be returned to a patient.
Best hospitals in Germany for medical tourism
The most popular cities for medical tourism are Munich, Berlin, Hamburg, Cologne and Dusseldorf. University hospitals (nearly 30 over the country) have the best reputation among other clinics. The most popular of them are the Charité – Universitätsmedizin (Berlin), University Hospital of Essen, Dortmund, Dusseldorf, Bonn, International Medical Center Baden-Württemberg etc.
Most German clinics are multidisciplinary and provide high-quality treatment in all fields. They use modern equipment and methods, such as PET-CT, da Vinci Surgical System, CyberKnife, charged practical therapy.
Applying for medical visa (Germany)
If are going to get treatment in Germany and you are not from a country of the Schengen Area or countries with Visa-free regime, it is necessary to apply for a visa. This procedure is available in the Embassy of Germany in your country.
For treatment in Germany, you need to get type C visa which allows staying in country up to 90 days. Usually this period is enough to complete most kinds of treatment. For applying a visa, do not hesitate to contact the clinic for support in all issues relating to your visa application: in urgent cases it helps to fasten the process of getting visa (during 1-3 days).
- One application form
- Valid passport (+copies)
- Former passports (if you have)
- 2 passport photos
- Confirmed booking of hotels and flight
- Valid health insurance
- Documentation about your intended treatment
- Working / leave certificate
- Detailed documentation of your financial situation
- An invitation letter from the hospital in Germany.
For more detailed information and fully list of documents contact the Embassy of Germany in your country and hospital you undergo.
What do you need to know before going to medical travel to Germany?
1. You need to get a consultation of a doctor from German clinic you are going to be treated. For this aim it is possible to provide a preliminary consultation in case you have all necessary results of tests and medical examination. Then the clinic provides an invitation for a certain patient which helps to fasten the process to get visa. In urgent cases, representatives of hospital write an official letter to Embassy to provide visa in the shortest terms.
2. You need to make a pre-payment of deposit a which will be used for diagnostics and treatment.
3. It is necessary to take all your previous results of tests, medical examination, and conclusions of doctors – all documents concerning your disease story.
Generally, treatment in German clinics is comfortable and allows concentrating on successful result. A lot of hospitals provide patients and their relatives with accommodation: German clinics collaborate with local hotels to make staying comfortable, and some of them have their own SPA resorts. If necessary, you will be provided with services of translation.
Many German medical centers give their foreign patients a transfer from the airport, which is included in the cost of service.
Cultural features of Germany
Medical tourism in Germany is not about only treatment and doctors. In this country every patient can relax and enjoy the local culture. Germany is represented by the world’s places of interest, picturesque nature and delicious local cuisine. This country is one of the most popular directions among the tourists all over the world. Prices of hotels and food are quite affordable, so most patients can feel comfortable in Germany. If you need premium conditions of staying – there are a lot of luxury hotels and restaurants.
Germany is famous by its traditional cuisine: sausages, sauerkraut and beer. But before tasting these dishes, you must ask your doctors not to make harm for treatment.
Climate of Germany is quite mild, the sharp temperature changes here happen rare. That is why Germany is also attractive for medical tourism: it allows avoiding negative influence on patients’ health and helps gets well soon. But still you need to remember: in summer the weather can be very hot, and in winter – cold.
Advantages and disadvantages of medical travel to Germany