The best places for laser eye surgery are presented in the Bookimed list below. The ranking is based on our Medical Doctors’ expert opinion, the patients’ reviews, and the laser eye center costs.
100% is a success rate of the laser vision surgeries. Patients get rid of the glasses and contact lenses after the eye correction procedures. 98% of all people are satisfied with the results of the surgery. The laser eye operations are useful for persons with myopia, presbyopia, hyperopia, and astigmatism.
The laser operation for eyes cost depends on the chosen method, country, and medical center. Refer to the clinics' catalog to learn how expensive is laser eye surgery and what is included in the price.
6 days for arrangement
Asklepios Eye Clinic is the most significant laser vision center in Northern Germany. The Center is among the best ophthalmologic facilities in Europe.
Ophthalmologists of the Center perform laser eye surgeries to treat retinal and scleral diseases. An eye doctor determines the method of the laser operation after the complete examination. The diagnostics usually includes the visual acuity test, the intraocular pressure diagnostic, the visual fields exams, and the eye fundus test.
Laser surgeries are the outpatient procedures. A patient shouldn't stay at the Hospital after the operation. The laser operation for eyes cost depends on the disease stage and its severity, the chosen technique.
5 days for arrangement
Ophthalmologists of Bumrungrad Eye Center provide one of the best laser eye surgeries in the world. Doctors apply LASIK and ReLex Smile methods of the laser vision procedures. Patients with myopia, presbyopia, hyperopia, and astigmatism receive the laser therapy here.
Patients should undergo the complete diagnostics before the laser eye surgeries. The screening program includes the general eye exam, visual acuity test, corneal curvature test, retinal thickness exam, etc.
Bumrungrad International Hospital is among the best centers providing laser eye surgery abroad. Ophthalmologists offer the lower laser operation for eyes cost compared to the American, Australian, British or German eye clinics. But the healthcare services are on the same level.
5 days for arrangement
Spreebogen Eye Clinic is one of the best places for laser eye surgery in Germany and Europe. Ophthalmologists of the Center treat ametropia (myopia, hyperopia, astigmatism, and others) with the laser techniques.
LASIK, PRK, and LASEK methods of the laser vision correction are available in the Clinic. Eye doctors use the IntraLase femtosecond and excimer lasers. It means that the procedure is low traumatic and safe.
The laser operation for eyes cost depends on the vision correction method and the severity of patient’s condition. The price is determined individually in each particular case.
What is corrective eye surgery?
The laser (refractive) eye surgery is a set of procedures to correct the common vision problems.
The operative vision correctness help to stop wearing glasses and contact lenses.
What vision problems does the laser surgery solve?
Ophthalmologists of the laser vision centers offer the corrective operations in cases of:
- Myopia (near sight, nearsightedness) is a vision abnormality when a person sees only the close objects, but the farther away ones are blurred. The near sight is 1 of 3 leading blindness causes. 30% of people worldwide are myopic.
- Hyperopia (farsightedness, hypermetropia) is the widespread vision condition when a person sees the distant objects more clearly in comparison with the close ones. 15% of people with refractive problems are hypermetropic.
- Presbyopia is a loss of possibility to focus on the objects in the aged people. 1.3 billion people over the world have presbyopia. Most often presbyopia occurs after age of 40.
- Astigmatism is the optic condition that makes the eye to focus incorrectly and causes the blurred vision. It is a common eye impairment in children and adults. Over 45% of people worldwide have astigmatism.
How does the refractive surgery repair the eyes impairments?
Eye doctors perform the laser vision surgery for people aged 18-55. The refractive procedures are the best treatment options for persons who have:
- astigmatism from -1,0 to 15,0 diopters
- farsightedness from +1,0 to 6,0 diopters
- nearsightedness from ± 0,5 to ± 5,0 diopters.
With any visual impairment, the image of the surrounding objects does not focus on the retina of the eye.
The main aim of the laser vision correction is to change the shape of the cornea. It makes the image of objects fall precisely on the retina of the eye.
Laser vision surgery: to be or not to be?
Several million of the laser eye surgeries are performed over the world annually. The vision correction surgeries are considered the most effective and safest visual treatments for over 20 years.
What are the advantages of the laser eye procedures?
- Safety. 99% of the laser eye surgeries are successful. It means that there are no complications and side effects of the refractive therapy.
- Suitable for any visual impairment treatment. 20/20 vision without glasses or contact lenses after the surgery. If a patient has no contraindications, the laser eye correction can restore vision in the patients with myopia, hyperopia, astigmatism, presbyopia.
- Appropriate at any age. Patients aged 18 to 55 are the optimal candidates for this procedure.
- Surgery time. The operation itself takes a few seconds to a minute. The rest of the time is spent on preparatory procedures and takes 10 minutes per eye.
- No pain. Doctors of the laser vision centers apply the anesthetic drops. They block pain sensitivity entirely. A patient feels only touches and pressure at some phases of the operation.
- Outpatient basis. There is no need to stay in an eye laser clinic after the procedure. A patient comes back home in 1 hour after the correction.
- Quick recovery period. A patient may notice the 1st results in 2 hours after the laser eye surgery. During a few days to several weeks vision stabilizes completely.
- Predictable results. A patient may rely on the visual acuity that s/he has in glasses or lenses before the correction.
- Stability of the operation results. After the laser correction of vision, the shape of the cornea persists for life (if a patient does not have progressive myopia).
Refractive eye surgery steps
All the types of the laser correction procedures consist of 3 steps:
- Creation of the superficial corneal flap with the help of microkeratome or laser. The flap is taken away as a page of the book.
- The laser beam changes the shape of the cornea according to the patient’s characteristics.
- Returning of the corneal flap to its original position and its engraftment without stitches and scars.
Laser eye surgery: types and features
- LASIK (Laser-Assisted in situ Keratomileusis) is the most common kind of the laser operations. Performing the procedure, ophthalmologists take into account the individual features of the patient's cornea structure. Specialists of the laser vision centers carry out the LASIK surgery with the microkeratome or the femtosecond laser. The patients have a good vision at all distances without glasses or lenses.
97% of the LASIK surgeries are successful. 7 out of 10 patients have 20/20 vision after the LASIK procedure. Over 95% of all patients are satisfied with the LASIK results.
- LASEK/PRK (Photorefractive Keratectomy/Laser Subepithelial Keratomileusis) is the refractive surgery method for vision correction in cases of contraindications to LASIK procedures. For example, when a patient has too thin cornea, the LASIK therapy is impossible. Ophthalmologists perform the LASEK surgery using the excimer laser. During the first 3 days after PRK surgery, a patient feels discomfort and pain. It is the primary disadvantage of the LASEK procedure.
The recovery period after the LASEK lasts 3-4 days. The visual improvement is noticed in 3 days after the procedure.
- ReLEx SMILE (Small Incision Lenticule Extraction) is the most innovative type of the laser vision correction. Eye doctors perform the SMILE operation with the femtosecond laser of high precision. The procedure takes 23 seconds. A specialist makes no incisions during the process. There are no risks and side effects of the ReLEx SMILE. The surgery is suitable for the treatment of visual impairment at all stages.
Over 700,000 people in 60 countries worldwide are treated with the ReLex SMILE procedure annually.
100% is a success rate of the ReLEx SMILE operations. 98% of patients are satisfied with the results of the procedure. 97% of people are willing to recommend the SMILE to their family and friends.
How much does laser eye surgery cost?
How much does it cost for laser eye surgery? There is no absolute answer to this question. The laser operation for eyes cost depends on the number of factors.
- Laser vision center location. The prices for the laser eye surgery vary from country to country dramatically. The main reason for this is the economic development of the state. In the highly developed countries (the USA, Germany, Spain, the UK) the procedure is over 50% higher than in the less developed nations (Thailand, India, Turkey).
- Eye laser clinic status. The state clinics provide the cheap laser eye surgery cost. But the healthcare services are of the poor standard. The private laser eye centers show the best results in the refractive therapy, but the prices for the procedures are much higher.
- Laser eye surgery type. The laser eye center costs depend on the procedure chosen by a patient. The ReLex SMILE surgery is approximately 15% higher than the LASIK procedure. And the LASEK one is performed with the cheap laser eye surgery cost in comparison with SMILE and LASIK.
- Additional services. The laser operation for eyes cost may include pre- and postoperative care, meals, accommodation (if needed), medicaments. Some laser vision centers provide the extra charges for these services. Be attentive and clarify the information about the price policy at a center!
Laser eye surgery abroad
The healthcare standards in the Indian laser eye centers comply with high world standards. Eye specialists in India offer the widest range of services in the world. The main advantage of the Indian medical system is the affordable prices for the high-qualitative services. India is considered the cheapest country for laser eye surgery. The costs for the laser vision surgery here are 40-100% less expensive than in the other Asian and European states.
Spain is one of the best countries for laser eye surgery in the world. Spanish laser vision centers present the top healthcare system in the globe. It has been awarded the 7th rank worldwide for the high quality of medical care by the World Health Organization (WHO). The laser operation for eyes cost in Spain is 70% lower than in the USA and the UK.
Over 1 million medical tourists from over the world visit Thailand every year. Phuket and Bangkok are the leading medical destinations for Thai medical tourism. The cities offer the modern healthcare infrastructure, staying in the centers looking like the luxury resorts, and delicious Thai food. The cheap laser eye surgery costs accompany excellent quality of the ophthalmological services here. Medical tourists may save up to 75% of the money in Thailand compared to the USA, Australia, the UK.
Germany is among the best places for laser eye surgery over the globe. Over 200,000 medical tourists choose the German laser vision centers due to their excellent quality annually. German eye specialists offer the techniques and procedures that are not available in the less developed countries. Ophthalmologists are included in the eye surgeons top lists over the world according to Forbes magazine. The laser operation for eyes cost here is higher than in the Asian or Eastern European countries. But in comparison with the American and British laser eye centers, the prices in Germany are 15% lower.
Due to the high quality of the private medical facilities and the cost affordability, Ukraine has become very popular among the medical tourists. Ukrainian eye doctors offer the cheapest laser eye surgery in Europe. The prices here are up to 50% lower than in Germany, or Spain. Along with Thailand, India, Latvia, and Turkey, Ukraine is the cheapest place to get laser eye surgery in the world.
How to choose the best country for laser eye surgery
- Submit a request on Bookimed website.
- Tell our Medical Doctor about the vision problem bothering you.
- Listen to the laser therapy options that the Doctor will offer you.
- Choose the best option taking into account laser operation for eyes cost, doctor’s experience, and medical center status.
- Arrive at a hospital and get the success laser eye surgery abroad. Our Medical Doctor will be in touch with you during your medical trip.
Sourasky ophthalmologists perform the laser eye surgery for vision correction. Patients with the nearsightedness, farsightedness, and astigmatism undergo the laser vision procedures here.
Before the laser eye procedure, a patient has to undergo the complete diagnostics. The standard exams program contains optical coherence tomography (OCT), ultrasound of the eye, visual field test, and eye angiogram.
The laser operation for eyes cost and the quality of services at Sourasky Medical Center is on the same level as in German hospitals.
Centro Médico Teknon is one of the best places to get laser eye surgery in Europe. Eye specialists of the Center perform the laser operations with the excimer laser.
Teknon ophthalmologists provide high-quality eye services to solve the patient’s visual problems. Eye doctors of the Center treat myopia, astigmatism, and hypermetropia with LASIK technique. This optical correction method helps to improve vision, stop wearing glasses and contact lenses.
Teknon eye specialists provide the laser surgery using the Zyoptix method. It is a personalized type of excimer laser treatment. Applying the Zyoptix approach, eye doctors of the Center offer the patients the most suitable eye treatment option in each particular case.
The Ophthalmology Department of Charité Hospital is among the best laser vision centers in Germany. Eye specialists provide LASIK and LASEK vision correction procedures.
Laser surgeries help to improve vision defects and make free of glasses and contact lenses. During the operations, the cornea is modulated with the laser beams. Eye doctors use the femtosecond laser to make the vision surgeries painless and safe.
The laser operation for eyes cost depends on the vision level, the corneal texture, and the chosen treatment method.
Ophthalmologists of Noviy Zir perform the laser vision surgery applying the LASIK and its kinds for the patients with nearsightedness, farsightedness, and astigmatism.
Laser correction is painless. It is an outpatient procedure. The laser surgery takes 20-60 seconds. A patient is under local anesthesia during the operation.
100% is a success rate of the laser eye surgeries at the Center. Noviy Zir ophthalmologists save over 30-40% of the cornea during the laser procedures.
The Eris and Amaris laser units help an eye doctor to watch the patient’s eye movements during the procedure. It makes the laser beam affect the corneal layer more acuity.
In the Laser Eye Center prices depend on the method and technique applied.
5 days for arrangement
Ophthalmologists of Navarra Hospital (Clinica Universidad de Navarra) have been carrying out the laser correction surgeries for over 20 years. Eye surgeons of the Center are among the best in Spain due to their vast experience.
In the Laser Eye Center cost includes the surgery and the repetitive operation in 6 months (if needed). Before the laser operation, a patient should undergo the complete eye diagnostics.
The laser operation for eyes cost contains the examinations only if a patient undergoes the laser surgery at the Center. In cases when a patient does not agree to the laser surgery, the diagnostics cost is paid additionally.
Ophthalmologists of Bangkok Pattaya Eye Center conduct laser eye surgeries for people with the visual abnormalities as myopia, hyperopia, astigmatism.
Before the laser vision operation, the eye doctors of the Center carry out the complete diagnostics. The standard test program includes visual acuity test, refractive error exam, eye pressure measurement.
Pattaya eye surgeons perform the LASIK procedures. It is the most innovative laser therapy method. The laser therapy in the Clinic is painless. Staying in the Hospital is not required after the operation.
Pattaya Eye Center is among the clinics to offer the cheap laser eye surgery abroad. Prices for the laser surgeries are 35-75% lower than in the USA, Australia, the UK, or Germany.
Artemis eye specialists carry out the laser vision surgeries at the Ophthalmology Center. Ophthalmologists treat the visual abnormalities using the LASIK method.
The Center is equipped with VISX system of Excimer Laser. During the laser procedure, an eye surgeon corrects the refractive errors by reshaping the cornea using the laser. Patients stop to wear glasses or contact lenses.
The laser eye procedure lasts 20 minutes. A patient may come back home in 1 minute after the operation. The surgery is painless and does not cause complications.
Artemis Ophthalmology Center is one of the clinics to offer the best price for the laser eye surgery compared to German, Israeli, Spanish eye hospitals.
5 days for arrangement
Klinikum Bremen-Mitte is a multidisciplinary hospital included in the network of medical centers Gesundheit Nord (Nord Klinik Allianz). Bremen-Mitte specializes in oncology, orthopedics, surgery, neurology, and neurosurgery.
In 2015-2016, Focus magazine, an authoritative German edition, included the hospital in the TOP of the leading medical institutions in Germany. The rating is based on patients’ reviews and doctors’ qualifications.
40,000 patients choose Klinikum Bremen-Mitte for treatment every year.
Manipal Hospitals represent Clinical Unit of private Indian company Manipal Education & Medical Group (MEMG), one of the leading healthcare centers in India with more than fifty years of experience in the field of medical care. Today, Manipal Hospitals is the third largest health care provider in India offering comprehensive medical care. Manipal Group includes 15 hospitals and 3 clinics, located in six states of the country, as well as in Nigeria and Malaysia. The network of Manipal Hospitals annually serves about 2,000,000 patients from India and abroad.
BGS Global Hospital is a private multidisciplinary hospital in Bangalore, India, specialized in oncology, neurosurgery, and hepatology. For cancer treatment, this hospital uses the last version of radiotherapy equipment, such as TrueBeam STx that accurately irradiates a tumor even in hard-to-reach areas.
Annually, Global Hospital Bengaluru gives treatment for over 53,000 patients. Doctors of this hospital have performed more than 30,000 operations.
Memorial Atasehir Hospital is a private multidisciplinary hospital in Istanbul which belongs to the large Memorial Healthcare Group. The Memorial Atasehir specialties are organ transplant (with 99.5% success rate for liver and 99% for kidney), in vitro fertilization (65% success rate), oncology, cardio- and neurosurgery.
The hospital has Joint Commission International (JCI) certificate for the compliance with international treatment standards, quality, and safety. JCI is a global organization that controls the quality of medical services worldwide.
Global Hospital (Gleneagles Global Health City) is a multidisciplinary hospital in Chennai, India.
The hospital is the best medical facility for the organ transplant in the country and the world’s leader in the number of successful liver transplants (over 1,000). Doctors are the 1st in India to perform minimally invasive lung and combined heart-kidney transplants.
Gleneagles Global Health City specializes in the organ and bone marrow transplant, cardiology, pulmonology (treatment of the lungs), and oncology.
Global Hospital Chennai is a part of Gleneagles Global Hospitals Medical Group, which accepts 2 mln patients annually.
5 days for arrangement
Memorial Şişli Hospital in Istanbul is the largest multidisciplinary medical center in Istanbul. It is the 1st hospital in Turkeу and the 21st in the world accredited by Joint Commission International (JCI) for the high quality of treatment.
Memorial Şişli specialties are the following: oncology, bone marrow transplant, in vitro fertilization (IVF), neurosurgery, and organ transplant. The success rate of organ transplant at Memorial is 90%.
Patients from 92 countries choose Memorial Şişli for treatment annually.
Hisar Hospital Intercontinental is a multispecialty medical center in Turkey, Istanbul.
The medical center specializes in pediatric and adult cardiovascular surgery, orthopedics, oncology.
Hisar Hospital is certified by JCI (Joint Commission International) that confirms compliance with international standards of treatment quality and safety.
Patients from European, Middle Eastern, and Asian countries choose Hisar Hospital.