Consultations at the clinic were excellent. We are very pleased with the clinic and the doctors, as well as the managers who worked with us there.
Gangnam Severance Hospital
Gangnam Severance Hospital is a large multidisciplinary medical center in Seoul, South Korea. The hospital specializes in oncology, neurosurgery, neurology, cardiology, and check-up (complex diagnostics).
Gangnam Severance Hospital has received JCI accreditation, a global organization that evaluates the clinics across the globe for safety and high-quality medical services. That means the hospital complies with international healthcare standards.
The hospital is the 1st in South Korea to perform lung transplant.
I went to the clinic Gannam Severance. I liked everything very much, quickly. The doctor is excellent. They provided an interpreter with everything helped. Contact the clinic.
- Oncology Department
- Neurosurgery Department
- Neurology Department
- Cardiology & Cardiac Surgery
Gangnam Severance Hospital was founded in 1983 on Yonsei University premises.
The hospital is situated in the Gangnam district. The distance between the medical center and the International Airport is 60 km.
Advantages of Gangnam Severance Hospital Seoul
- Modern medical equipment. The hospital was the first in Asia to use the da Vinci Robotic System for minimally invasive surgeries through small incisions to 1-2 cm. The hospital provides PET-CT (positron emission tomography-computed tomography) for cancer diagnostics. Specialists apply 2 Tomotherapy devices to irradiate tumors with high accuracy.
- International Healthcare Center. Gangnam Severance provides a one-stop service for international patient all around the world. A coordinator from the hospital supports a patient during his/her hospital stay.
Severance Hospital Gangnam in figures
Oncology Department at Gangnam Severance Hospital
The Oncology Department of Gangnam Severance Seoul is a center where a patient can undergo diagnostics, treatment, and rehabilitation.
What diseases are treated in the Oncology Department?
Doctors of the hospital specialize in the treatment of breast, prostate, thyroid, lung, liver, stomach, colon, ovarian and uterine cancers.
✓ Tomotherapy —modern method for radiotherapy
Besides standard treatment options such as chemo- and radiotherapy, doctors apply Tomotherapy. Such a technology combines radiation therapy and computed tomography (CT).
The device helps to make 3D images of a tumor to deliver radiation beams directly to a damaged area. Healthy cells are not damaged due to the high accuracy of irradiation. Tomotherapy is applied for prostate, brain and spine cancers.
Surgical oncologists in Gangnam Severance Hospital apply the da Vinci System to remove prostate, colon, liver and gynecologic malignancies.
Specialists perform surgeries through small incisions up to 1-3 cm. Fine and flexible robotic instruments can remove even hard-to-reach tumors.
The advantages of the robotic procedure compared to open surgery are:
- fast recovery
- reduced pain
- low risk of postoperative complications (infections, for instance).
Robotic surgery using the da Vinci System
Check-up at Gangnam Severance Hospital
Specialists of the hospital have established 5 check-up programs:
20-40 years old patients can undergo this diagnostics. It helps to check functions of internal organs and detect disease liability.
Basic check-up includes:
- standard tests (height, weight, blood pressure)
- urine and stool test
- determination of biological age
- ophthalmological diagnostics (vision acuity check-up, eyeground imaging and intraocular tension tonography)
- 5 blood tests (including tumor markers tests)
- ECG (electrocardiogram)
- X-ray and lung functions test
- EGDS (diagnostics of esophagus, stomach, and duodenum)
- ultrasound diagnostics of the abdominal cavity organs
- gynecological diagnostics.
Diagnostics in Gangnam Severance Hospital
✓ Premium check-up for oncology
The check-up program is for 40-year-old men and women. The diagnostics help to detect cancer at early stages and even the disease liability.
“Premium Oncology” package consists of “Basic check-up” and such additional diagnostics:
- CT (computed tomography) of the chest
- CT of the abdominal cavity and pelvis
colonoscopy (colon diagnostics) with sedation
- ultrasound diagnostics of thyroid
- HPV (human papillomavirus) test
- for women — ultrasound diagnostics of breasts and genital organs
- for men — ultrasound diagnostics of the prostate gland.
✓ Cardiovascular diagnostics
Cardiovascular check-up program includes “Premium Oncology” package (except the abdominal and pelvis CT) plus 3 procedures — 3D-CT, ultrasound diagnostics of the heart, atherosclerosis test.
✓Brain blood vessels diagnostics
Check-up includes the program “Premium Oncology”, MRI of the brain, MRA (magnetic resonance angiography) of the vessels and test for atherosclerosis.
This is the most extended program among other check-ups which helps to check the whole state of your health. The program consists of "Basic check-up", additional diagnostics (PET-CT, MRI, ultrasound diagnostics) and doctors’ consultations.
Neurosurgery Department at Severance Gangnam
Doctors of the department specialize in microsurgical interventions on the brain and spine. 1,300 surgeries are performed here each year.
The doctors in Gangnam Severance Hospital specialize in surgical treatment of scoliosis.
Over 700 operations have been performed — this is the biggest quantity of surgeries in South Korea.
Doctors apply microsurgical and endoscopic methods which reduce pain, scars, and shorten hospital stay.
A doctor performs microsurgical operations with special microscope. This instrument increases the spine area and helps neurosurgeons to perform more accurate operations.
Endoscopic surgeries are conducted through small incisions. Doctors apply thin instruments and mini-cameras to treat hernia, protrusions, and scoliosis. After minimally invasive interventions, a patient recovers faster than after open surgeries.
Neurosurgery in Gangnam Severance Hospital
Neurology Department in Severance Gangnam Hospital
Specialists of the Neurology Department provide diagnostics and treatments for such diseases as:
- brain stroke;
- Parkinson’s disease;
- motor disturbance;
The Neurology Department has being accepted patients from 1984.
Medical team of the Cardiology and Cardiac Surgery Department at Gangnam Severance
Cardiology and Cardiac Surgery Department
Gangnam Severance Hospital is a leading medical facility in South Korea for cardiovascular diseases treatment.
About 1,000 coronarographies (diagnostics of vessels) and 800 stentings (the placement of a stent into a vessel) are carried out each year.
In 2013, Gangnam Severance Hospital was considered as world-class medical center for heart attack treatment and coronary artery bypass surgery.
Awards and Achievements
- The best medical center for international patients in 2014 according to the Korea Tourism Organization.
- An award from the Prime Minister of South Korea for a great contribution into Korean medicine according to the Ministry of Health and Welfare in South Korea, 2015.
Services for international patients
- Language assistance
- One-stop service
The hospital provides transfer if a patient’s treatment bill is over 5 mln of South Korean wons (about $ 4,400).
A patient can choose a ward if he/she requires a hospital stay.
During check-up, a patient stays in a hotel near the hospital. Accommodation is included in a VIP check-up package.
The hospital offers a free service of an interpreter.
The hospital provides an accelerated program for international patients to speed up their treatment. A patient starts undergoing diagnostics and treatment from the first day in the hospital. If surgery is required, a doctor appoints it in the nearest date.
Reception in Gangnam Severance Hospital
- 321 hospitals worldwide
- Customer care support 24/7
- Patient reviews and global community