- Methods of liver cancer diagnostics in Ichilov Hospital
- Сost of liver cancer diagnostics in Ichilov Clinic
- Methods of liver cancer treatment at Sourasky Medical Center
Why Ichilov Hospital is considered as one of the leading centers for liver cancer treatment?
In order to save the life of patient with the most complex diagnosis the specialists resort to a liver transplantation when the removal of an affected part of the organ is impossible because of its condition or location of the tumor.
Professor Ofer Merimsky, Head of the Department of Transplantation, Oncology and Surgery of the Liver, radiotherapist, Professor Moshe Inbar, leading oncologist in Ichilov Hospital; transplatologist Oren Shibolet, Head of the Hepatology Department – are respected throughout the world oncologists who have saved thousands of lives.
Sourasky specialists apply SIRT-therapy (selective internal radiotherapy) in their methods of liver cancer treatment. This procedure pointwises and purposefully stops the blood flow to the malignant tissues of the liver. The method of SIRT is based on irradiation. However, it is appointed in the complex, as a tool for the destruction of the tumor with a purpose to weaken the tumor body burden and reduce the activity of metastasis development.
What are methods of liver cancer diagnostics in Ichilov Clinic?
Examinations at Ichilov Medical Center are conducted by leading international experts: Professor Moshe Inbar, Dr. Inna Molchanova and Dr. Oren Shibolet.
- Detailed physical examination (palpation of organs);
- Laboratory and instrumental methods: a complete general blood and biochemical blood tests;
- Sonography of the abdomen organs;
- PET-CT (to evaluate the spread of the disease and detect the distant metastases);
- The revision of formerly made biopsy or conduction of biopsy followed by histological and immunohistochemical studies of the taken sample.
What is the cost of liver cancer diagnostics in Ichilov Hospital?
The cost of examination program begins from $ 5,000. The cost is formed specifically for each patient, and you can get a personal treatment program with the exact prices right now!
What are the methods of treatment of liver cancer at Sourasky Medical Center?
The following treatment methods of liver cancer are the main at the Medical Center:
- Partial hepatectomy;
- Ablation of the tumor;
- Radiation therapy;
- Proton therapy;
- Chemotherapy (application of new methods when drugs are injected directly into the liver, allowing to use higher doses of drugs than usual, with less side effects);
- Chemoembolization (catheterization of hepatic artery);
Specialists in Ichilov Hospital have successfully implemented the latest treatment methods, one of which is IMRT. This ‘beam scalpel’ provides the most sparing treatment to destroy the tumor without injuring the healthy tissue. The effectiveness of the treatment is 85%.
- Methods of liver cancer diagnostics in Assuta Clinic
- Cost of liver cancer diagnostics in Assuta Hospital
- Methods of treatment of liver cancer at Assuta Medical Center
Why Assuta Hospital is considered as one of the leading centers for liver cancer treatment?
The treatment of liver cancer in Assuta Clinic is carried out by multidisciplinary team of leading experts of the country. It also includes a respective in Israel surgeon Marat Khaikin who specializes in: colorectal surgery, proctology and laparoscopy of gastrointestinal tract.
The patients of Assuta Hospital undergo the following procedures to diagnosticate liver cancer:
- Full laboratory, biochemical, enzymatic blood tests, including one for tumor markers and coagulation;
- PET-CT of the abdominal cavity with a three-phase imaging of the liver and chest;
- MRI of the peritoneum;
- Revision of a previous liver biopsy or biopsy followed by histological study.
What is the cost for liver cancer diagnostics at Assuta Medical Center?
Prices vary between $ 4,000 and $ 6,000. Cost is formed individually for each patient, you can get a personal treatment program with the exact prices right now!
What are the methods of liver cancer treatment in Assuta Clinic?
Main surgical methods of liver cancer treatment in Assuta are the following:
- At the 1-2 stages of cancer with a small tumor and without metastasis resection is performed by means of Irreversible Electroporation (IRE) or NanoKnife.
- At the 2 and 3 stages of liver cancer wide excision of the liver (about its half) - hemihepatectomy - is conducted.
- At the severe stage of the disease the removal of the liver, duodenum, part of the stomach and pancreas are carried.
- Complete liver transplantation.
In case, when the surgery (or afterwards) is dangerous, experts of Assuta Hospital effectively apply various methods of therapy:
- Radiation therapy;
- Introduction of ethanol through the skin;
- Proton therapy;
- Radiofrequency thermal ablation;
One of the innovative and effective methods is Sirteks – the introduction of tiny particles, which destroy the tumor cells, into the tumor.
Rambam Oncological Center is recognized as one of the leaders in Israel. A special feature of the center is the applying of the radiotherapy technologies and radioactive iodine in treatment. Treatment of patients is held outpatiently and inpatiently. Due to the close cooperation with leading European and US centers of cancer treatment, Rambam Center is introduced the most advanced and innovative technologies and equipment for cancer treatment from the best clinics in the world. Among them are the radio- and beam-therapy, brachytherapy, chemotherapy.
Treatment of liver cancer in Israel
Liver cancer is a malignant tumor that arises in the result of liver cell mutation under the influence of various factors. This type of cancer is inherent to people under 40 years old. What is more, the incidence among men is several times higher than among women. There are two types of liver cancer: primary and secondary, notably the secondary liver cancer is almost 40 times more common than the primary one.
The liver is the main object of affection in primary liver cancer. This type of disease is common for Asia and Africa. It can develop on the basis of liver cells (hepatocellular carcinoma), cells of the bile ducts (cholangiocarcinoma), and cells of the liver vascular (angiosarcoma) or immature cells of the liver (hepatoblastoma). Secondary cancer has another focus of the tumor, which infects the liver with its metastases. The focus is located, for example, in the stomach, intestine or pancreatic gland.
Only in Israel:
- The high-precision surgeries of liver resection
- The unique technique of ethanol injection
- Minimally invasive targeted therapy
Causes and risk factors
Nowadays the causes of liver cancer have not been fully established yet. Its occurrence is traditionally associated with two factors:
- Viral hepatitis affects the liver. The presence of virus in liver cells leads to chronic inflammation and malfunction of the organ. Also bile ducts and intercellular spaces become inflamed. The presence of virus in the liver for many years leads to cirrhosis, i.e. death of healthy cells and their replacement with tough scar tissue. This infection is particularly dangerous if in addition there are also several forms of hepatitis (B and C, C and D). The phenomenon of cirrhosis is the basis for the liver cancer development.
- Alcoholism. Alcoholic toxins poison liver cells and this also causes cirrhosis and also leads to the formation of cancer.
Rather recently two more possible causes were specified:
- Aflotoxin ingestion, the waste product of Aspergillus, the mold. Most often, the fungus is found in Asia and Africa, it affects wheat, rice and nuts. The presence of aflotoxin in humans increases the risk of liver cancer in almost seven times.
- Infection by Trematoda flatworms. These parasites settle in the bile ducts of the liver, poisoning it with their waste products. The consequence is the appearance of a tumor in the bile ducts.
Less probable causes are the following:
- an excess of iron in the body;
- ingestion of carcinogenic substances;
Risk factors for liver cancer include:
- male sex;
- use of anabolic steroids in sports;
Symptoms of liver cancer
Liver tumor declares itself rather weakly at the stage of its development. At this stage, the symptoms do not differ from the symptoms that are common to all cancers. These include, for instance:
- causeless weakness, loss of appetite and weight loss;
- predisposition to diarrhea;
- low blood pressure, hand tremor, dizziness;
- nausea, sometimes turning into vomiting.
Quite often among these symptoms is a nagging pain in the right hypochondrium.
As the disease progresses, the development of which happens very quickly (literally within few weeks), liver dysfunction happens. Bile is poorly processed and secreted into the intestine. In the result more specific symptoms of this type of cancer appear:
- increased pain in the liver area;
- enlarged liver, bulging out from under her ribs (sometimes it is palpable and the tumor is like a lump of solid matter);
- jaundice, i.e. changes in skin color, whites of the eyes and mouth (up to bright yellow);
- dryness of mucous membranes;
- constant itching and dry skin;
- nasal and gastrointestinal bleeding.
Diagnostics of liver cancer in Israel
The initial stage of liver cancer can be diagnosed in the clinics of Israel with the help of a new method of a blood test for the presence of alpha-fetoprotein, tumor marker of the disease. This is a specific protein and only blood of an embryo has it in a norm. Its presence in the blood of an adult allows to diagnose liver cancer accurate to 70-90%.
- Visual inspection of the patient, analysis of complaints, palpation and knocking the liver area for its change.
- Ultrasound examination of the abdominal cavity. This helps to define the nature, size and structure of the tumor, as well as the presence of metastases.
- Computed tomography (CT) or magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) of the abdominal cavity. They allow to finalize the malignant nature of the tumor, its exact sizes and option of removal.
- General analyses (they allow to determine the indirect symptoms of liver cancer and the patient's readiness for surgery):
o full blood count;
o blood test for bilirubin;
o urine test for urobilin.
The final diagnosis is made after Israeli doctors conduct biopsy, i.e. histological examination of affected liver tissue. Material for analysis is taken using a thick needle under local anesthesia and ultrasound guidance system.
Methods of liver cancer treatment in Israel
At the early stages of cancer development еhe treatment is conducted surgically by resection (removal of the affected part of the liver). This is due to the ability of the body to restore its ¾ remoted volume. It should be noted that, due to the abundance of blood vessels, liver surgery is difficult and quite dangerous. If surgery is impossible, Israeli doctors use other methods of treatment:
- Embolization, an introduction of the blocking mixture to the blood vessels feeding the tumor.
- Ablation, local destruction of cancer cells. The Israeli hospitals use several variations of this method:
o Introduction of the electrodes to the liver tumor for local heating (radiofrequency thermoablation);
o liver vascular blocking by the radioactive isotopes (radioembolization);
o destruction of tumor by low-temperature materials (cryoablation);
- Liver transplantation.
Traditional methods of cancer treatment are hardly suitable. Chemotherapy and radiation therapy are used in very limited doses.
The Israeli hospitals successfully use new methods of liver cancer treatment as well:
- Chemoembolization is a kind of chemotherapy, in which drugs are injected directly into the hepatic vessels supplying the tumor.
- Injection of concentrated ethanol in tumor cells.
- Immunotherapy is the use of special drugs that slow the growth of tumors.
- Targeted therapy is the use of drugs that act directly on cancer cells and does not affect other cells of the body.
Liver resection. Targeted therapy. Liver transplantation.
Liver resection. Embolization. Ablation. Ethanol injection.
Rehabilitation and prevention of liver cancer recurrence in Israel
The goal of rehabilitation is early recovery of normal functioning of the body after treatment. To achieve this goal, the experienced Israeli experts develop a special sparing regimen in treatment that includes proper nutrition, exercise therapy, Chinese medicine techniques and other activities based on the individual characteristics of the patient. The rehabilitation process can take from a few hours to several days.
Prevention of reoccurrence of the disease consists of a healthy lifestyle: proper diet, abstinence from alcohol and dose of physical activities.
Cost of treatment of liver cancer in Israel
The cost of treatment in Israel depends on the occurrence of the disease, its stage, and characteristics of individual patients. You can obtain more information from the specialists of the Bookimed company.
|Biopsy "sentinel" lymph nodes||from 11000 to 13500$||from 12000 to 16000€||from 12000 to 16000€||from 4000 to 6000$||from 7000 to 9000$|
|Liver transplantation||from 70000 to 130000$||from 120000 to 150000€||from 120000 to 150000€||from 40000 to 45000$||from 60000 to 80000$|
- Methods of liver cancer diagnostics at Sheba Medical Center
- Cost of liver cancer diagnostics at Sheba Medical Center
- Methods of liver cancer treatment in Sheba Clinic
Why Sheba Medical Center is considered one of the leading centers for liver cancer treatment?
Sheba Hospital treats its patients always according to the individual plan, comprised to each patient by a multidisciplinary team of experienced doctors. Some cases of more than five-year living for patients with complex disease due to regular intensive care courses are stated in Clinic. If the disease is detected at its early stages, a full recovery is achieved in more than 80% of cases.
What doctors are specialized in the treatment of liver cancer at Sheba Medical Center?
Internationally renowned Professor Avraam Chernyak, Head of the Department of General and Abdominal Surgery in Sheba Hospital, Dr Arie Arish, Head of the Department of Hepatobiliary Surgery.
Leading colorectal surgeon Dr. Marat Khaikin in Sheba Clinic carries out the most complex laparoscopic surgeries without laparotomy. He also cooperates with other hospitals in Israel, including the largest state, giving Dr. Khaikin a lot of surgical practices.
What are the diagnostics methods of liver cancer in Sheba Hospital?
- Ultrasound of abdominal organs;
- Blood analysis for alpha fetoprotein level – specific oncomarker of liver cancer;
- CT and MRI for determination the exact size of the tumor and the metastasis presence;
- Angiography that can detect vessels supplying the liver tumor;
- PET-CT to detect the degree of disease expansion;
- Liver biopsy;
- Examination, collection of anamnestic information, consultation of oncologist, gastroenterologist and others specialists.
What is the cost of liver cancer diagnostics at Sheba Medical Center?
The cost of the examination program begins from $ 5,000. It is formed individually for each patient, you can get a personal treatment program with the exact prices right now!
What are the methods of liver cancer treatment in Sheba Clinic?
The main method of fighting against liver cancer in Sheba Hospital is surgery.
There are conventional surgeries, cryodestruction and surgeries by means of innovation system of CyberKnife. Small tumors are destroyed by chemical ablation.
Methods of chemotherapy and radiotherapy are the most advanced: transarterial chemoembolization and radiofrequency ablation.
Innovative and effective method is selective internal radiation therapy (SIRT), during which the radioactive particles are administered into the affected organ through the blood supply system, simultaneously exposing the tumor with radiation and stopping its growth.
Oncologists in Sheba Hospital also successfully apply NanoKnife technology to patients with liver cancer. This method involves dotted and selective destruction of cancerous cells with targeting a strong electric field into the malignant tissues. NanoKnife helps to localize the disease and save the neighbouring organs and blood vessels.
Cancer Center "Davidoff" of Rabin Medical Center is the largest oncology clinic in Israel and the entire Middle East. Every fifth of Israeli citizens gets an aid of the cancer treatment here. The center treats patients with all types of cancer and hematological diseases (leukemia, osteomyelosclerosis, anemia, leukocytosis, and others). The Center includes the departments of radiation therapy, chemotherapy, integrative medicine, palliative therapy and dietology. Center operates with the following cutting-edge techniques for treatment: SBRT, IMRT, IGRT, Rapid Arc., SIRT.
Clinic Cancer Center “Herzliya” has thirty years of experience. Center staff takes trainings and gets skills in the best medical centers in the world. Each patient throughout the treatment period is accompanied by a personal manager and translator. Center Department of Diagnostic works quickly and professionally - for the entire period of the department’s activity there was no single case of misdiagnosis. The main pathologies treated in Cancer Center Herzliya are: leukemia, Hodgkin's lymphoma, lymphoblastic leukemia, myeloma, carcinoid tumor, branchiogenic tumor, lung cancer, melanoma, brain cancer and other cancers.
Dan Carmel Haifa 5*