- Main options for meningioma removal
- Stereotactic radiosurgery
- Advantages and disadvantages of meningioma removal with the help of the GammaKnife
- Features of meningioma resection with CyberKnife
- Peculiarities of stereotactic radiosurgery using the TrueBeam system
- Surgical treatment of meningioma
- Rehabilitation after removal of meningioma
Memorial Şişli Hospital in Istanbul is the largest multidisciplinary medical center in Istanbul. It is the 1st hospital in Turkeу and the 21st in the world accredited by Joint Commission International (JCI) for the high quality of treatment.
Memorial Şişli specialties are the following: oncology, bone marrow transplant, in vitro fertilization (IVF), neurosurgery, and organ transplant. The success rate of organ transplant at Memorial is 90%.
Patients from 92 countries choose Memorial Şişli for treatment annually.
Solingen Municipal Hospital/Academic Hospital of the University of Cologne is among top clinics in Germany according to Focus magazine - one of the most widely circulated German editions. Städtisches Klinikum Solingen is a certified medical institution treating over 60,000 patients per year.
Anadolu Medical Center is a multidisciplinary facility providing American treatment standards at affordable prices in Istanbul (Turkey). Anadolu affiliates with the Johns Hopkins Hospital, one of the best medical facilities in the USA.
Oncology, oncohematology, check-up, women's health, cardiology are the leading specialties in Anadolu Hospital.
The medical center is among the Top 10 hospitals in the world according to the Medical Travel Quality Alliance (MTQUA), an international organization that promotes excellent standards of health services for medical tourists.
Patients from the United States, the United Kingdom, Romania, Bulgaria, and Azerbaijan choose Anadolu Medical Center.
Removal of meningioma is the main method of treating benign or malignant meningiomas. Most of the experts use radical surgery or radiation therapy to remove meningiomas.
Meningioma resection is divided into:
- total (whole tumor is removed);
- subtotal or partial (only a part of tumor is removed).
Main options of meningioma treatment
The type of therapy depends on the size of the tumor, its location, the age of a patient and the presence of pathologies.
There are 2 main methods of meningioma treatment:
- Stereotactic radiosurgery used for difficult access to the tumor and close connection of meningioma with vessels, nerve trunks, sinuses of the brain;
- Surgical removal used in cases of the big size of meningioma (more than 3.5cm in diameter).
Radiosurgery is a medical procedure used for destroying of tumors or suspending their functioning by means of a single irradiation with a high dose of ionizing radiation.
Radiosurgery has two main advantages:
- Irradiation affects the meningioma from different directions (tumor receives the maximum possible dose of radiation)
- Radiosurgery is non-invasive (treatment of a tumor does not require breaking the integrity of the head tissue and opening the cranium).
The contraindication for radiosurgery is the inability to operate brain tumors over 3.5 cm in diameter. The effectiveness of stereotactic radiosurgery is very high: about 95% of meningiomas stop their growth after a single procedure or a small course of treatment.
The main radiotherapeutic / radiosurgical units are:
- designed for non-invasive brain surgery (without the use of a scalpel);
- has a frame based system for immobilization with radiation sources, which can causeside such effects of gamma knife surgery for meningioma as headache, nausea and a risk of infection;
- one image of magnetic resonance imaging is used, in contrast to systems that do not use a frame for attaching the head and require constant imaging with CT during treatment, making an additional contribution to excess radiation doses;
- small sizes of collimators protect the body tissues from the effects of radiation and excludes the possibility of treatment of metastases and tumors over 3 cm.
- universal method not only for treating the brain, but also for removing the tumor and metastasis throughout the body;
- mega-voltage X-ray radiation from the CyberKnife is four times more powerful than the energy from cobalt used in the GammaKnife;
- CyberKnife is a flexible, frameless system that allows a patient to conduct treatment in one or more sessions. This allows oncologists to choose the safest and most effective course of treatment;
- does not require a frame screwing into the skull for immobilization, which helps to avoid headache, nausea and the risk of infection.
Peculiarities of stereotactic radiosurgery using the TrueBeam system
- Focused radiation beams of the system destroy tumor cells without affecting the surrounding healthy tissues;
- use of a metal frame that is bolted to the skull bones of a patient is unnecessary;
- opportunity of fractional irradiation (treatment is divided into 2-5 small sessions, which makes possible to safely treat large meningiomas located near important structures, for example, the optic nerve);
- TrueBeam system is equipped with modern medical imaging devices that allow a radiologist to monitor the tumor behavior in real time;
- During visualization of pathological formations, the technology of cone-beam computed tomography (CT) is used. This method of visualization makes possible to reduce the radiation load on the patient's body by 25%.
Surgical treatment of meningiom
There are 2 indications for surgical removal of meningioma:
- If the tumor is in the area of the brain that is available for surgery
- If the tumor over 3.5 cm in diameter.
Endoscopic intervention is the minimally invasive method of meningioma removal, when the tumor is removed without opening the skull with endoscopic instruments. Removal of meningioma through transnasal access is most often used. The method is the most effective in combination with intraoperative MRI and nerve navigation systems.
Craniotomy or trepanation of the skull is carried out only if the tumor is located close to the surface. This method provides good visibility of the operating field and allows the removal of large tumors.
Preparing for the operation
For the accurate determination of the type of meningioma and for prescribing the fastest and most effective treatment, a patient should go through the following procedures:
- Blood test;
- MRI - magnetic resonance imaging;
- MRS - magnetic resonance spectroscopy;
- CT - computed tomography;
Rehabilitation after removal of meningioma
The rehabilitation period can range from few weeks to a year. It depends on the method of treatment and the type of operation. The physical and psychological condition of a patient before surgery also affects the postoperative period. The recovery will occur quickly if a patient follows a doctor's prescribed rehabilitation program and takes the necessary medicines.
Consequences after meningioma removal
Consequences after the removal of meningioma depend on tumor localization, prevalence of pathological process and histologic type. Young people have none of consequences after meningioma resection in contrast to elderly patients, who face negative effects much more often.
Consequences after resection of meningioma can be various:
- loss of sight;
- hearing loss;
- sensitivity depression;
- paralysis of extremities;
- lacks of coordination;
Recurrence of meningioma after removal
Meningioma recurrence rate after the operation:
- 3% for benign tumors;
- 38% for atypical tumors;
- 78% for malignant tumors.
Also possibility of meningioma recurrence depends on location of a tumor.
- at the cranial vault is 3%;
- in the region of the Turkish saddle is 19%;
- in the region of the body of the sphenoid bone 34% within five years;
- in the cavernous sinus is 60-100%.
How much does Removal of meningioma cost ?
Doctors calculate the cost of the Removal of meningioma individually for each patient. The price may depend on the hospital's reputation and doctor's experience. You may get the final Removal of meningioma cost only after the consultation with a doctor.
42 clinics are represented in the ranking. According to their data, the approximate Removal of meningioma cost is:
- The average cost is $16,500. The lowest price is $16,000 and the highest — $17,000.
Sourasky Medical Center (Ichilov) is a leading Israeli clinic located in the center of Tel Aviv. It unites 5 hospitals, 180 polyclinics, and 60 departments are located. The Ichilov (Tel Aviv) has got an accreditation from the Joint Commission International (JCI) global organization for quality and safety of medical service. It belongs to TOP-10 world destinations for medical tourism according to the authoritative Newsweek magazine.
4 days for arrangement
Medipol University Hospital is one of the largest multi-specialty medical institution in Turkey. Daily, over 1,200 patients trust their health to Medipol's experts. The hospital is equipped with advanced technologies, i.e, Da Vinci Surgical System, Cyber and Gamma Knives. Doctors specialize in cancer, neurological, and cardiovascular treatment. Organ transplantation, bone marrow transplant and IVF are among key specialties of the hospital.
Helios Berlin-Buch is the largest and modern hospital in the capital of Germany.
It is included in the best German centers list in 2018 according to the Focus magazine ranking.
94% of patients recommend Helios Berlin-Buch for diagnostics and treatment.
Key specialties of the hospital are oncology and surgical oncology, orthopedics, neurosurgery, and obesity treatment.
Teknon Hospital (Centro Medico Teknon) is a private medical facility in Barcelona, Spain. World-renowned doctors provide diagnostics and treatment at Teknon.
Epileptology (treatment of epilepsy), neurosurgery, oncology, heart surgery, and stem cell therapy are the primary specialties in Teknon Hospital.
Teknon Hospital is No.1 choice of celebrities, sportsmen, and politicians. Teknon doctors delivered Shakira's baby (famous singer), operated Andres Iniesta (Spanish professional footballer), Thomas Röhler (German athlete competed in the javelin throw), provided stem cell therapy for Rafael Nadal (Spanish professional tennis player) and FC Barcelona football players.
Assuta Hospital is the largest clinic of private ownership in Israel. It develops a lot of medical directions and is highly specialized in surgery, IVF, cardiology (the use of VenaSeal, Cryo and MICRA and other innovative techniques) and oncology. The main distinguishing feature of this medical institution is a high level of attentiveness to the patient’s needs. The option of a surgical operation, an attending physician and a type of the room is not the complete list of things left up to the choice of the patient.
Helios Krefeld Hospital is a multidisciplinary center in Germany, one of the most modern facilities in Europe. Since 2015 to 2017, it took the leading positions among top hospitals of Germany according to the Focus magazine ranking.
Specialties of the hospital are surgery, oncology, heart surgery, orthopedics. Over 57,500 patients choose Helios Krefeld for treatment. According to the anonymous survey, 95% of patients are satisfied with the diagnostics and treatment.
Bumrungrad International Hospital is a global medical facility in Bangkok, Thailand that specializes in oncology, ophthalmology, orthopedics, neurosciences, heart surgery, check-ups, etc.
Over 1 million patients choose Bumrungrad annually. 50% of them are international ones from over 190 countries.
The hospital is one of the largest private centers in Southeast Asia and one of the most significant world’s outpatient clinics.
Bumrungrad International is recognized as TOP-10 best hospitals and TOP-30 most technologically advanced clinics in the world.
Asklepios St. Georg Hospital is a multidisciplinary medical center in Hamburg. The Hospital works on the premisses of Asklepios Kliniken Medical Group.
The Hospital specializes in the treatment of the heart, vessels, and spine diseases.
St. Georg Hospital is among the TOP German medical facilities according to the Focus magazine.
87,000 patients receive the treatment annually here.
Memorial Atasehir Hospital is a private multidisciplinary hospital in Istanbul which belongs to the large Memorial Healthcare Group. The Memorial Atasehir specialties are organ transplant (with 99.5% success rate for liver and 99% for kidney), in vitro fertilization (65% success rate), oncology, cardio- and neurosurgery.
The hospital has Joint Commission International (JCI) certificate for the compliance with international treatment standards, quality, and safety. JCI is a global organization that controls the quality of medical services worldwide.
5 days for arrangement
Clinica Universidad de Navarra (CUN) is the best private Spanish hospital in 2018 according to MERCO (monitoring organization of medical reputation).
Navarra is a leading sarcoma center. 74% of patients get cured of bone sarcoma; and in up to 95% of cases, an affected limb is preserved.
Oncology, Onco-Hematology, Organ Transplant, Neurosurgery, Cardiac Surgery are the primary specialties in Navarra Hospital.
Hospital de Navarra is the 1st in Spain that has received JCI, the US certificate for the high quality of medical services.
Over 700,000 patients from 70 countries have been treated at Navarra.
Klinikum Bremen-Ost is a multidisciplinary hospital located in Bremen. The hospital is a part of the Gesundheit Nord-Klinikverbund Bremen network of hospitals. Bremen-Ost Hospital specializes in lung surgery, neurology, psychotherapy, and psychiatry.
Bremen-Ost is among best German medical facilities in 2015-2016 according to the rating of Focus magazine. The rating includes hospitals with positive patients’ feedback and high treatment success rates.
Every year Bremen-Ost receives 19,000 patients for treatment.
Memorial Hospital Bahçelievler (Memorial Bahçelievler Hastanesi) is a multidisciplinary medical center in Istanbul with an eco-friendly design. There are a lot of green areas on the hospital territory, which contribute to patients’ psychological comfort and their speedy recovery.
The medical facility specializes in cardiovascular surgery, orthopedics, urology, gynecology, general and robotic surgery.
Ospedale San Raffaele is a University Hospital of world importance which conducts a clinical researches and applies specialized methods for treatment of serious diseases in the field of oncology, oncohematology and surgery. Ospedale Hospital is recognized by the Ministry of Health as an Institute of Hospitality and Care specialized in Molecular Medicine.The main feature of the Clinic is a practical use of molecular biology for treatment metabolic, immune, infectious, genetic pathologies, illnesses of central and peripheral nervous system.
5 days for arrangement
European Medical Center (EMC) is No.1 private network of hospitals for advanced medical help. Specialists of EMC conduct a diagnostics and treatment in Russia according to European and international protocols.
Over 600 highly-qualified doctors from Russia, France, the USA, Israel, Germany and Japan work at EMC. Among them are 16 professors and over 30 doctors of medical science.
Global Hospital (Gleneagles Global Health City) is a multidisciplinary hospital in Chennai, India.
The hospital is the best medical facility for the organ transplant in the country and the world’s leader in the number of successful liver transplants (over 1,000). Doctors are the 1st in India to perform minimally invasive lung and combined heart-kidney transplants.
Gleneagles Global Health City specializes in the organ and bone marrow transplant, cardiology, pulmonology (treatment of the lungs), and oncology.
Global Hospital Chennai is a part of Gleneagles Global Hospitals Medical Group, which accepts 2 mln patients annually.