Removal of meningioma
Overall rating by
- What is removal of meningioma
- Main options for meningioma removal
- Stereotactic radiosurgery
- Advantages and disadvantages of meningioma removal with the help of the GammaKnife
- Features of meningioma resection with CyberKnife
- Peculiarities of stereotactic radiosurgery using the TrueBeam system
- Surgical treatment of meningioma
- Clinics specialized in treatment of meningioma
- Preparing for the operation
- Rehabilitation after removal of meningioma
- Consequences after meningioma surgery
- Recurrence of meningioma after removal
What is removal of meningioma
Removal of meningioma is the main method of treating benign or malignant meningiomas. Most of the experts use radical surgery or radiation therapy to remove meningiomas.
Meningioma resection is divided into:
- total (whole tumor is removed);
- subtotal or partial (only a part of tumor is removed).
Main options of meningioma treatment
The type of therapy depends on the size of the tumor, its location, the age of a patient and the presence of pathologies.
There are 2 main methods of meningioma treatment:
- Stereotactic radiosurgery used for difficult access to the tumor and close connection of meningioma with vessels, nerve trunks, sinuses of the brain;
- Surgical removal used in cases of the big size of meningioma (more than 3.5cm in diameter).
Radiosurgery is a medical procedure used for destroying of tumors or suspending their functioning by means of a single irradiation with a high dose of ionizing radiation.
Radiosurgery has two main advantages:
- Irradiation affects the meningioma from different directions (tumor receives the maximum possible dose of radiation)
- Radiosurgery is non-invasive (treatment of a tumor does not require breaking the integrity of the head tissue and opening the cranium).
The contraindication for radiosurgery is the inability to operate brain tumors over 3.5 cm in diameter.
The effectiveness of stereotactic radiosurgery is very high: about 95% of meningiomas stop their growth after a single procedure or a small course of treatment.
The main radiotherapeutic / radiosurgical units are:
Advantages and disadvantages of meningioma removal with the help of the GammaKnife
- designed for non-invasive brain surgery (without the use of a scalpel);
- has a frame based system for immobilization with radiation sources, which can causeside such effects of gamma knife surgery for meningioma as headache, nausea and a risk of infection;
- one image of magnetic resonance imaging is used, in contrast to systems that do not use a frame for attaching the head and require constant imaging with CT during treatment, making an additional contribution to excess radiation doses;
- small sizes of collimators protect the body tissues from the effects of radiation and excludes the possibility of treatment of metastases and tumors over 3 cm.
Features of meningioma resection with CyberKnife
- universal method not only for treating the brain, but also for removing the tumor and metastasis throughout the body;
- mega-voltage X-ray radiation from the CyberKnife is four times more powerful than the energy from cobalt used in the GammaKnife;
- CyberKnife is a flexible, frameless system that allows a patient to conduct treatment in one or more sessions. This allows oncologists to choose the safest and most effective course of treatment;
- does not require a frame screwing into the skull for immobilization, which helps to avoid headache, nausea and the risk of infection.
Peculiarities of stereotactic radiosurgery using the TrueBeam system
- Focused radiation beams of the system destroy tumor cells without affecting the surrounding healthy tissues;
- use of a metal frame that is bolted to the skull bones of a patient is unnecessary;
- opportunity of fractional irradiation (treatment is divided into 2-5 small sessions, which makes possible to safely treat large meningiomas located near important structures, for example, the optic nerve);
- TrueBeam system is equipped with modern medical imaging devices that allow a radiologist to monitor the tumor behavior in real time;
- During visualization of pathological formations, the technology of cone-beam computed tomography (CT) is used. This method of visualization makes possible to reduce the radiation load on the patient's body by 25%.
Surgical treatment of meningiom
There are 2 indications for surgical removal of meningioma:
- If the tumor is in the area of the brain that is available for surgery
- If the tumor over 3.5 cm in diameter.
Endoscopic intervention is the minimally invasive method of meningioma removal, when the tumor is removed without opening the skull with endoscopic instruments. Removal of meningioma through transnasal access is most often used. The method is the most effective in combination with intraoperative MRI and nerve navigation systems.
Craniotomy or trepanation of the skull is carried out only if the tumor is located close to the surface. This method provides good visibility of the operating field and allows the removal of large tumors.
Clinics specialized in surgeries to remove meningioma
There are many programs of the treatment and rehabilitation provided by the leading clinics, that specialize in the treatment of meningiomas. The difference of prices depends on method of diagnostics and operation.
Operation + diagnosis and hospital:
Meningioma resection with TrueBeam costs
$ 20,000 - $ 23,000
Removal of a brain tumor using the GammaKnife:
€ 20, 000
Meningioma removal costs
€ 25, 000
about $ 12,000
Removal of meningioma with TrueBeam costs
about $ 15,000
$ 10,000 - $ 11,000
Preparing for the operation
For the accurate determination of the type of meningioma and for prescribing the fastest and most effective treatment, a patient should go through the following procedures:
- Blood test;
- MRI - magnetic resonance imaging;
- MRS - magnetic resonance spectroscopy;
- CT - computed tomography;
Rehabilitation after removal of meningioma
The rehabilitation period can range from few weeks to a year. It depends on the method of treatment and the type of operation. The physical and psychological condition of a patient before surgery also affects the postoperative period. The recovery will occur quickly if a patient follows a doctor's prescribed rehabilitation program and takes the necessary medicines.
Consequences after meningioma removal
Consequences after the removal of meningioma depend on tumor localization, prevalence of pathological process and histologic type. Young people have none of consequences after meningioma resection in contrast to elderly patients, who face negative effects much more often.
Consequences after resection of meningioma can be various:
- loss of sight;
- hearing loss;
- sensitivity depression;
- paralysis of extremities;
- lacks of coordination;
Recurrence of meningioma after removal
Meningioma recurrence rate after the operation:
- 3% for benign tumors;
- 38% for atypical tumors;
- 78% for malignant tumors.
Also possibility of meningioma recurrence depends on location of a tumor.
- at the cranial vault is 3%;
- in the region of the Turkish saddle is 19%;
- in the region of the body of the sphenoid bone 34% within five years;
- in the cavernous sinus is 60-100%.
Sourasky Medical Center (Ichilov) is a leading Israeli clinic located in the center of Tel-Aviv. It unites 5 hospitals, 180 polyclinics, and 60 departments are located. The Ichilov (Tel-Aviv) has got an accreditation from the Joint Commission International (JCI) global organization for quality and safety of medical service. It belongs to TOP-10 world destinations for medical tourism according to the authoritative Newsweek magazine.
Anadolu Medical Center is a combination of Turkish affordability and geographical proximity with US quality of treatment due to affiliation with Johns Hopkins Medicine. This Clinic specializes in oncology treatment and bone marrow transplants using the most innovative equipment: DaVinci, CyberKnife, TrueBeam. Anadolu Hospital is very attentive to each patient and has the highest level of staff response.
Asklepios is a prestigious Germany's largest network of clinics that offers high quality service to patients and covers virtually all areas of medicine from ophthalmology to dentistry. Quality and introduction of innovative technologies allow the company to play a key role in the health sector and own several certificates from world-famous organizations, such as Cooperation for Transparency and Quality in the Healthcare Sector (CTQ), DIN-EN-ISO 9001:2000, JCI and European Foundation for Quality Management. Asklepios' mission – “Unity for Health” – makes it possible to develop the clinics for over 30 years.
Solingen Municipal Hospital/Academic Hospital of the University of Cologne is among top clinics in Germany according to Focus magazine - one of the most widely circulated German editions. Städtisches Klinikum Solingen is a certified medical institution treating over 60,000 patients per year.
First impressions of my arrival - I am very satisfied with the service. We were greeted, brought, promised what they had done to us - they did everything. We have a phone, when we do not understand so...
Teknon Medical Center (Centro Medico Teknon) demonstrates some of the highest success rates in the world for surgical treatment in oncology, general and bariatric surgery (weight loss). Teknon has the best statistics in Europe for the treatment of neurological diseases, including in children. Here Hollywood stars give birth, athletes and politicians of a worldwide fame are operated. Teknon means the most advanced equipment and the best doctors, well-known far beyond the borders of Spain. If you are interested in treatment in Spain, your choice is Teknon Medical Center in Barcelona.
Medical Park is the largest group of hospitals in Turkey. Compliance of their medical services is confirmed by Joint Commission International. Medical Park Hospitals are ranked first in the number of organ transplants and provide high success rates in bone marrow transplantation. Oncological units use innovative techniques to increase efficiency of the treatment - Gamma-Knife, the Tomotherapy etc.
Network of health hospitals Fortis Healthcare is represented in many countries of Asia and has many years of experience in treating patients from all over the world. Total network includes 62 medical clinics complex, an increasing number of which are located in the territory of India.
European Medical Center (EMC) is No.1 private network of hospitals for advanced medical help. Specialists of EMC conduct a diagnostics and treatment in Russia according to European and international protocols.
Over 600 highly-qualified doctors from Russia, France, the USA, Israel, Germany and Japan work at EMC. Among them are 16 professors and over 30 doctors of medical science.
Thanks for your question
You will receive an email about the reply