HIFU (High Intensity Focused Ultrasound) for prostate cancer treatment is a non-surgical therapy that destroys malignant cells with ultrasound heating up to 90°C. It is effective for prostate cancer stages 1-2.
92-99% is a 10-year survival rate after HIFU therapy according to hifu-prostate.com. In 87-90% an erectile and urinating functions are preserved. Only a limited amount of hospitals provide focused ultrasound operation.
You can compare HIFU for prostate cancer treatment costs and read reviews on this page.
Submit a request to get a cost of HIFU prostate treatment in your case and appoint a consultation with a doctor in a selected hospital.
5 days for arrangement
- Leading Urology Department for prostate cancer treatment with HIFU. It is accredited by the Polish Ministry of Health and the European Board of Urology (EBU) that confirms the high quality of treatment.
- Affordable cost of HIFU for prostate treatment. The price for focused ultrasound therapy at Otwock is 10-20% lower than in top hospitals of Western Europe due to the price policy in Poland. The quality of a procedure is at the same level.
- HIFU procedure takes about 1.5-2.5 hours under general anesthesia.
5 days for arrangement
- Top hospital to perform HIFU for prostate cancer treatment in South Korea. Samsung is the only medical facility in the region where focused ultrasound therapy is available.
- 87% is a success rate for HIFU prostate cancer treatment according to Samsung data.
- Samsung cooperates with MD Anderson Medical Center, a top facility in the USA, to implement new treatment options against cancer.
- The hospital has been taken the 1st place 14 times in the National Customer Satisfaction Index.
6 days for arrangement
- Top center for HIFU prostate treatment in Northern Germany. Asklepios Barmbek is the largest medical facility for focused ultrasound surgery according to hospital's data.
- Reasonable HIFU prostate cancer treatment cost. Asklepios offers affordable price for the procedure. It is 10-15% lower than in other top German hospitals.
- Great experience in HIFU prostate cancer therapy. Over 500 HIFU procedures have been performed since 2002.
- Top prostate cancer doctor. Prof. Andreas Gross is the Head of the Urology Department, and his expertise is confirmed by Leading Medicine Guide, a prestigious German medical website.
- Asklepios Barmbek is among the best medical facility in Germany. The Focus magazine ranked Asklepios among Top German hospitals in 2019, especially in prostate cancer treatment.
- Prostate cancer treatment with HIFU is performed to treat localized neoplasm at 1-2 stages. It is non-surgical therapy with high accuracy and less damage to healthy tissues.
What does HIFU for prostate cancer cost depend on?
A focused ultrasound surgery cost is affected by the following facts:
- A country where HIFU therapy is performed. A cost of HIFU for prostate treatment can differ 10-40% depending on the country because of its internal general price policy. For instance, the price for HIFU in Germany is about 15-20% higher than in Poland, but about 5-10% lower than in Switzerland. The HIFU cost in South Korea is about the same level than in Germany. The most expensive HIFU therapy will be in the USA — about 2-3 higher than in European or Asian countries.
- A doctor's experience. If a specialist has been performed a lot of HIFU procedures, has numerous certificates, and is a member of prestigious organizations, they may ask about higher focused ultrasound surgery cost.
- Additional expenses. Some hospitals already provide package HIFU cost for prostate cancer treatment (with medical tests, doctor's fee, transfer, language assistance, etc.), but others can give price only for HIFU procedure.
You can submit a request on Bookimed, and receive a focal laser ablation cost for prostate cancer from a selected hospital with all required charges.
What does HIFU cost for prostate cancer include?
The cost of High Intensity Focused Ultrasound usually includes:
- the procedure itself
- surgical team fees
Such services as consultation with a doctor, language assistance, meals are paid additionally in most of the cases. However, some hospitals may include these charges in the price.
Submit a request to get a cost estimate of HIFU for prostate cancer in your case.
When High-Intensity Focused Ultrasound for prostate cancer is indicated?
HIFU is indicated for patients with prostate cancer who:
- have a localized non-metastatic tumor of the prostate gland at the stage T1 or T2
- Gleason score under 7
- have already undergone HIFU
- have received radiotherapy to treat localized cancer but it has recurred again
- are contraindicated to prostatectomy.
In some cases, HIFU can be also used for patients with more aggressive cancer and Gleason score over 7. Only a doctor can decide whether this treatment option is effective for you.
Among the contraindications are:
- rectal or anal surgery that excludes the possibility to insert the probe to provide HIFU
- allergy to latex.
How is HIFU for prostate cancer performed?
High-frequency ultrasound for prostate cancer is performed on the special Focal One® device.
Focal One® device
The HIFU therapy takes 1-3 hours under general anesthesia. It includes such steps:
- The urinary catheter (the drainage) is placed in the gallbladder. It is necessary to take away the liquids. In 3-4 days the catheter is removed; the urinating function is normalized.
- A doctor inserts the ultrasonic detector into the rectum.
- Under ultrasound control, the area of affection is determined.
- Ultrasonic waves influence the malignant cells. High-frequency ultrasound for prostate cancer heats the tissues with up to 110 С° temperature destroying them.
What to expect after High-Intensity Focused Ultrasound for prostate cancer?
After HIFU therapy for prostate cancer, the inflammatory of prostate tissues is observed. This complication is temporary and disappears soon.
Among the other side effects, a patient can observe:
- blood in the urine within several days after a tumor destruction. Doctors recommend patients to drink more water during this period to speed up the recovery.
- Frequent urination. It stabilizes within 1 month after HIFU.
- Stool disorders.
In some cases, urinary incontinence, impotence, infertility also appear.
How to get cost of HIFU for prostate cancer in the shortest term?
- Compare the hospitals and HIFU prices they offer.
- Choose the best option for you and submit a request.
- Bookimed manager will contact you to answer all questions and book the hospital for you.
- You receive a cost estimate and decide whether it is appropriate for you. If not, Bookimed manager will find another option for you.
- When you agree with the bill and date of your arrival to the hospital, Bookimed manager arranges your medical travel.
Bookimed services are free for a patient!
How much does HIFU for prostate cancer treatment cost ?
Doctors calculate the cost of the HIFU for prostate cancer treatment individually for each patient. The price may depend on the hospital's reputation and doctor's experience. You may get the final HIFU for prostate cancer treatment cost only after the consultation with a doctor.
7 clinics are represented in the ranking. According to their data, the approximate HIFU for prostate cancer treatment cost is:
- The average cost is $14,100. The lowest price is $9,300 and the highest — $20,400.
- The 1st Prostate Cancer Center in Germany. A multidisciplinary center has been working since 2008. All treatment options including HIFU are applied here.
- Vast experience. Over 800 patients with prostate cancer receive treatment at Charite annually.
- The prostate cancer treatment at Charite is approved by the German Cancer Society.
- Top specialized Prostate Center. Swiss International Prostate Center works on Générale Beaulieu premises. It provides advanced treatment with innovative options, including HIFU therapy.
- Générale Beaulieu Hospital is a member of SLH (The Swiss Leading Hospitals), that is the best in class medical group in Switzerland.
- The HIFU for prostate cancer treatment cost at Générale Beaulieu is one of the highest in Europe, but the quality of procedure complies with strict world standards.
2 days for arrangement
- Top hospital for medical tourists. Sourasky is ranked among Top 10 medical centers in the world to treat outbound patients according to the Newsweek magazine.
- High success rate. Up to 95% is a 5-year survival rate for patients with prostate cancer.
- Sourasky doctors provide all treatments for prostate cancer: HIFU, prostatectomy, brachytherapy, external radiation therapy.
HIFU for prostate cancer treatment cost at Sourasky is calculated individually.
3 days for arrangement
Nordwest Krankenhaus is a multi specialized medical institution, a leading hospital in Germany due to development of innovations, such as 3D ultrasound, anticancer vaccines in targeted therapy. It comprises 5 research institutes and 11 specialized centers.