Lung cancer treatment options
Lung cancer develops from the lung cells. It ranks first by prevalence and mortality among men.
Lung cancer is divided into four stages. Commonly cancer is detected when the stage 3 has already developed. Since the stage when the cancer is diagnosed often determines the 5-year survival for patients, early diagnostics is prevalent to the successful cure of lung cancer.
Diagnostics for lung cancer
According to NCCN (National Comprehensive Cancer Network), annual LDCT (Lung cancer screening with low dose computed tomography) examination reduces the risk of death from lung cancer by 20%. Chest X-ray, comparing to the LDCT, does not allow to detect early stages of cancer when there is still a high probability of the successful outcome.
Among diagnostics are also used:
- Pulmonary function test;
- FDG PET/CT.
Treatment for lung cancer
There are three typical approaches to the treatment of cancer. These are surgery, chemotherapy and radiotherapy in different combinations.
Advanced treatments for lung cancer:
- VATS - video-assisted thoracoscopic surgery, which takes place in the early stages of lung cancer, is proven to reduce mortality compared with open lobectomy (NCCN);
- In addition to standard methods of radiation therapy (CT-planned 3D-CRT), several certified clinics apply advanced methods - 4D-CT and/or PET/CT simulation, IMRT/VMAT, IGRT, motion management, proton therapy.
Department of Pulmonary Oncology with specialization in infectology and pulmonology works on premises of the Berlin University Medical Complex Charite (Charité Universitätsmedizin).
The cost of lung cancer diagnostics at Charite depends on a number of prescribed procedures that will be selected individually.
|Сomplex oncology diagnostic|
For comprehensive treatment of lung cancer at Charite surgical, radio- and chemotherapeutic techniques, as well as targeted therapy are used. Radical operative intervention consists of removal of the lung - pulmonectomy with resection of lymph nodes.At early stages of lung cancer, minimally invasive bronchial and thoracoscopic methods are used to minimize operational injury.
|Lung cancer surgery|
Oncology Center of Bethanien Clinic is certified by German Cancer Society
- Who specializes in lung cancer treatment in Bethanien Clinic?
- What are the diagnostics and treatments for lung cancer in Bethanien Clinic?
- The cost of diagnostics and treatment for lung cancer
- Bronchoscopic procedures (endoscopic ultrasound, bronchoscopy with navigation);
- CT, MRI, PET-CT.
Bethanien Pulmonologic Hospital in Solingen specializes in the diagnostics and treatment of all lung diseases and functions as a clinic for pneumology and allergology and sleep disorders. The hospital maintains and develops diverse relationships with other medical facilities to ensure optimal medical care.
Who specializes in lung cancer treatment in Bethanien Clinic?
Prof. Winfried J. Randerath MD, Chief Physician of Oncology Department, supervises the treatment process of patients with lung cancer, determines the treatment option in each individual case.
What are the diagnostics and treatments for lung cancer in Bethanien Clinic?
In weekly tumor conferences, each patient with a diagnosis of lung cancer is discussed intensively and an individual therapy plan is developed jointly. Treatment of lung cancer takes place in accordance with the worldwide approved schemes for various types of cancer. Treatment includes chemotherapy through installation of a special port system, radiotherapy and surgery.
The cost of diagnostics and treatment for lung cancer
Consultation with the professor - € 250;
Complete blood count - € 50;
Bronchoscopy - from € 2,000;
Chest X-Ray - € 70;
MRI of one system - € 800-1,000;
CT of the chest and abdomen - € 700-850;
Revision of histological material - € 800-2,000;
1 course of chemotherapy (inpatient) - € 2,500-3,000;
Chemo-port installation - starting from € 1,000.
The further chemotherapy courses are performed on an outpatient basis.
To compose individual treatment plan in Bethanien Clinic contact Bookimed Medical Coordinator.
- Why Acibadem is considered as a good choice to treat lung cancer?
- What methods of lung cancer diagnostics are applied in Acibadem?
- Lung cancer diagnostics cost in Acibadem
- What are the methods of lung cancer treatment in Acibadem Clinic?
Why Acibadem is considered as a good choice to treat lung cancer?
The Department of Thoracic Surgery in Acibadem provides a wide range of surgical services, including diagnostics and treatment of complex diseases of the lungs and respiratory tract. Specialists of the Department actively cooperate with their colleagues from the Department of Oncology and Radiology. Such a complex process as cancer treatment needs to involve a multidisciplinary team of specialists of surgeon, radiologist, chemotherapist, pathologist, anesthesiologist.
What doctors specialize in the treatment of lung cancer in Acibadem Hospital?
The team of specialists is headed by the of main thoracic clinic surgeon Dr. Erdal Okur, who has extended the lives of hundreds of patients.
What methods of lung cancer diagnostics are applied in Acibadem?
- Physical examination;
- X-ray of the chest;
- Examination of the esophageal to assess the state of infracarinal lymph nodes;
- CT of the chest;
- Transthoracic puncture of the tumor under CT control;
- Ultrasound of the chest and abdomen, supraclavicular areas to exclude distant metastases;
- Endoscopic ultrasound (EUS);
- Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI);
- Medianoscopy ;
- Scintigraphy of the skeleton.
Lung cancer diagnostics cost in Acibadem
The cost is around $ 3,000. Total price is formed individually for each patient, you can now get a personal treatment program with the exact prices right now!
What are the methods of lung cancer treatment in Acibadem Clinic?
Main types of techniques for the lung cancer treatment in Acibadem:
- Wedge resection;
The most appropriate treatment for lung cancer in the clinic is determined by a council of Acibadem doctors, which include such specialists as the chemotherapist, radiation oncologist, pulmonologist, thoracic surgeon, pathologist and a nuclear medicine specialist.
If the diagnostic result detect the necessity of surgery, then at the Department of Thoracic Surgery performed minimally invasive surgery (VATS - Video-assisted thoracoscopic surgery) for the treatment of lung cancer at its early stages.
The other methods include:
- Radiotherapy - Radiosurgery (SRS);
- Chemotherapy: adjuvant (postoperative) and the non-adjuvant (pre-operative);
- Targeted therapy or laser therapy;
- Photodynamic therapy (PDT);