TOP world doctor of treatment of chondrosarcoma
Prof. Jakov Bickels is recognized as world authority in treatment of chondrosarcoma and other kinds of bone cancer.
Lowest price for chemotherapy session at Anadolu
|Consultation of an oncologist||450 $|
|CT (computer tomography)||350 - 1400 $|
Symptoms of Chondrosarcoma
The main symptoms of chondrosarcoma are the following:
- Pain in bones with increasing intensity. Sensation of pain is noticeable even in a state of rest. As a rule, analgesics are helpless.
- A swelling in the area of location of tumor which can cause deformation of a bone.
- A local body’s temperature rise.
- Enlargement of veins within affected area.
Symptoms of chondrosarcoma can differ according to its location, for example, in a knee or a hip. If chondrosarcoma is located in pelvis, a patient can suffer from urination disorder, constipation, pain caused by disturbed circulation.
But before the appearance of specific symptoms, patients with chondrosarcoma can detect general symptoms of cancer:
- Feeling of weakness
- Fast fatigability
- Loss of appetite
- Weight loss.
It is worth noting that signs of well-differentiated chondrosarcomas appear only after several years of their existence. That is why patients who belong to high risk group (people with trauma of bones and those who are influenced by radiation) have to undergo bone scintigraphy regularly.
Diagnostics of chondrosarcoma in best world centers: methods and peculiarities
When chondrosarcoma is suspected, such methods of diagnostics are applied in the best world centers:
- X-ray examination (shows a destruction of damaged area, a bone around this area is swollen)
- CT allows seeing a three-dimensional image of the internal parts of the body
- MRI estimates the level of involvement of organs, vessels and nerve fibers
- Biopsy detects a tumor grade
- Bone scintigraphy shows all bone destructions.
Treatment of chondrosarcoma in the best world centers: methods and peculiarities
Most of chondrosarcomas are resistant to chemotherapy.The main method of treatment of chondrosarcoma is resection of primary tumor and its metastases. But in these cases chemotherapy can be effective:
- Dedifferentiated chondrosarcoma (a highly differentiated tumor that has degenerated into a malignant fibrous histiocytic or osteogenic sarcoma): this kind of tumor is sensitive to chemotherapy
- Mesenchymal chondrosarcoma (rare small-cell variant of chondrosarcoma)
- Chondrosarcoma of stage 1 doesn’t spread metastases, and in case of surgical intervention the survival rate is 90%
- Chondrosarcoma stage 2 - up to 60%
- Chondrosarcoma stage 3 - 30%.
A choice of method of treatment depends on the range of factors: size and location of tumor, prevalence of process, cancer stage and patient’s conditions.
Chondrosarcomas are rare, and they are treated in the specialized world centers and clinics. Best doctors usually apply radiosurgery using a system of robotic surgery GammaKnife, radiation therapy and chemotherapy.
Some world centers specialized in treatment of chondrosarcoma use tomotherapy.
In some cases, doctors are forced to resort to the amputation or hemipelvectomy.
Chondrosarcoma: prognosis and survival rate
The survival rate and prognosis for patients with chondrosarcomas can vary depending on stage of tumor, its location, metastatic process and other factors:
In case of localized chondrosarcoma 5-year survival rate is 69-72%, longer term prognosis (5-10 years) is 53-57%.
Undifferentiated chondrosarcoma has 5-year survival rate in 10% of cases.
Internationally recognized specialist in treatment of sarcoma works at Sheba
Best price for oncologist's consultation in LIV Hospital
Best price for consultation of an oncologist at Medipol