The best weight loss surgery centers are presented in the list below. The ranking is composed according to Bookimed Medical Doctors’ expert opinion. The list is based on clinics’ qualification and status, surgeons’ experience, and patients’ reviews.
Bariatric surgery is one of the most effective weight loss treatment options. The stomach reduction surgery cost depends on the country, hospital status, patients’ health condition, surgeon’s qualification, and the chosen surgical method. The price includes consultation with a specialist, surgery, and hospitalization.
- The Anadolu Weight Loss Surgery Department specializes in the treatment of obesity. It is one of the best facility for weight loss surgery in Turkey.
- Surgeons perform sleeve gastrectomy, gastric banding, and bypass operations. For each patient, the dietologists develop a post-operative nutrition plan. It increases the effectiveness of the surgical intervention.
- Anadolu is the most popular clinic in Turkey with international patients. It is among Top 10 medical centers for medical tourists according to the Medical Travel Quality Alliance (MTQUA), a global organization that promotes health care quality in medical facilities worldwide.
- The Bariatrics Department of Sachsenhausen Surgery Clinic is a leading facility for bariatric surgery in Germany and one of the top weight loss surgery centers in Europe. Gastroenterologists of the clinic are among the best ones in Germany according to the Focus magazine ranking.
- Over 500 bariatric surgeries are carried out here annually. Specialists carry out minimally invasive methods in the most of cases. 90% of bariatric operations are conducted with low traumatic techniques.
- A patient should arrive at the Sachsenhausen Bariatric Treatment Center 2 days before the operation. Before weight reduction procedure, a patient has to undergo complete diagnostics. The examination program includes consultation with a gastroenterologist, electrocardiography, pulmonary function test, BMI (body mass index) identification.
Obesity surgical treatment is carried out at Sourasky (Ichilov) Internal Medicine Division. The Hospital is included in the top list of weight loss surgery centers. Absorption and Nutrition Laboratories work on the basis of the Hospital. In the labs, Ichilov specialists research the new effective therapy methods of morbid obesity.
Sourasky doctors treat patients according to multidisciplinary programs. They include nutritional diagnostics, physical activity, drugs prescription (if needed), and bariatric surgery. The method of stomach reduction is determined according to patient’s preferences. Gastric balloon is the most common metabolic operation performed at Ichilov Bariatric Treatment Center.
Diabetes type 2
Professor Tvaruzek, head of st. Zdislava surgery department performed more than 1500 sleeve gastroplasty operations. All operations are performed with Da Vinci robotic system. Sleeve gastroplasty average execution time is 30 min (average time in Europe is 60 min). Lenght of stay is usually 2-5 days, depending on patients' health.
Diabetes type 2
- Medipol Hospital is among the best weight loss surgical centers in Turkey. Bariatric surgery is performed at the Morbid Obesity Endocrine Surgery Unit with 95% success rate.
- A multidisciplinary medical team provides the obesity treatment at the center. It is consists of dietician, surgeon, chest diseases expert, cardiologist, and physiatrist (if needed).
- Medipol doctors recommend stomach reduction procedure for obese people with BMI (body mass index) over 35. Bariatric specialists conduct tube stomach and gastric bypass metabolic procedures with the laparoscopic method. The procedures are minimally invasive and cause the least trauma in the body.
- The endoscopic gastric balloon is carried out at the Weight Loss Surgery Center to treat severe stages of obesity and related disorders (diabetes, high blood pressure, etc.).
Bariatric surgery. How does it work?
Bariatric (also called metabolic, obesity, weight loss or stomach reduction) surgery is a gastrointestinal operation for obesity treatment. The procedure helps obese people lose excess weight and improve their health.
Weight loss operations are not plastic or cosmetic procedures. During metabolic operation, a surgeon cuts off a part of the stomach, making it smaller. The procedure limits the amount of food that fits in the stomach. That’s why people feel full after eating a little.
Bariatric surgery abroad. Top-3 countries worldwide
Bookimed has singled out 3 of the most popular directions for bariatric surgery among international patients.
The country is among the leading nations in Europe to perform weight loss surgeries. 90% of obesity procedures here are minimally-invasive. Such operations have reduced risks of complications and recovery period.
According to the German Bariatric Surgery Registry report, over 6,000 bariatric surgeries are conducted in Germany annually.
Weight loss surgery without insurance in Germany is 2-4 times more expensive than in Asian countries (India or Thailand). It is caused by the higher economic development of the Federal Republic. But the state is one of the best in bariatrics worldwide in terms of services quality and patient safety.
Thailand has become one of the best states in performing bariatric surgery abroad. Thai medical centers combine high-quality treatment and vocation. Hospitals here look like 5-star resorts and offer luxury weight loss holidays.
90% of medical tourists engage in some tourist activities during their therapy according to Medical Tourism Association statistics.
The reasonable weight loss surgery prices in Thailand is the 2nd reason why international patients choose the country. The cost of metabolic procedures in Thailand is 35-75% lower than in Europe, the USA or Australia. The economic development of the nation determines lower pricing in Thailand. The quality of management in Thai weight loss surgery centers is on the same level.
According to the Lancet (the world's leading independent general medical journal) study, India is the 3rd most obese country over the globe. Over 100 weight loss surgeries are conducted in the state daily.
Doctors in Indian bariatric treatment centers have vast experience. Most of the metabolic surgeons undergo internship in Europe and the USA. They share their knowledge and adopt innovative treatment methods from the international colleagues.
India is among the nations that offer the most affordable stomach reduction surgery cost. The price here is 3-4 times lower than in Germany, Israel or Spain. Cheap pricing in Indian hospitals relies on the economic development of the country.
Medical tourists choose the private clinics in India. The cost of bariatric surgery without insurance in private hospitals is more expensive than in the public ones due to high quality of services and safety of patients.
How much does it cost for weight loss surgery?
The stomach surgery for weight loss cost is determined individually for each patient. During the consultation, a doctor and a patient discuss the case and obesity-related problems of the patient, choose the method of bariatric surgery. These are main criteria that affect the bariatric weight loss surgery cost in each medical center.
What do weight loss surgery prices depend on?
The cost of bariatric surgery varies in different countries. The price policy determines it within each state. The quality and success rate of weight loss procedures is on the same level.
- Less economically developed countries (India, Turkey, Thailand) provide 3-4 times cheaper stomach surgery for weight loss cost than the highly developed ones (Germany, Spain, Israel).
- Among the European nations, the lowest price of the stomach reduction procedures is presented in the West Europe and Baltic countries. The weight loss surgery prices in Latvia, Lithuania, Poland are 2 times lower than in Spain, Italy or Germany.
- Asian countries provide 35-70% lower stomach reduction surgery cost for obese patients in comparison with Europe, Middle East, the USA.
- Hospital status
The weight loss surgery prices differ due to hospital characteristics and the quality of care. Private medical centers offer improved assistance in bariatric procedures in comparison with the public ones.
- Surgeon’s qualification
Specialists of the best hospitals for weight loss surgery usually undergo internship in the world’s top medical facilities. They cooperate with colleagues from other countries and share their experience. Bariatric specialists with years of experience and excellent reputation offer more expensive stomach reduction surgery cost than the little-known ones.
- Surgical method
A patient loses 60-80% of excess weight after the procedure. The obese surgery method is determined after the complete diagnostics.
Each bariatric procedure is based on different surgical techniques, which affect weight loss surgery prices.
Indications for bariatric surgery abroad
Obese people choose bariatric surgery when:
- their BMI (body mass index) is 30, and higher
- other weight loss methods fail
- obesity poses risks to their health.
Metabolic surgery solves overweight-related problems and improve patient’s health condition. Bariatric treatment centers perform obesity procedures with maximum effect for patients with:
- type 2 diabetes
- high cholesterol
- gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD)
- heart disease
- osteoarthritis of joints
- sleep apnea and respiratory problems
- urinary stress incontinence
- asthma and lung conditions
- reproductive impairments.
Bariatric surgery types
During the surgery, 85% of the stomach is removed. Surgeons form a tube 2-2.5 cm in diameter. Thus, the volume of the stomach and the amount of food absorbed are reduced.
- the procedure lasts for 1 hour
- a patient loses 50-60% of weight
- hospital stay is 2-4 days.
During this operation, surgeons form a stomach pocket with a volume of 20-30 ml. Food from the pocket gets to the small intestine directly. As a result, patients have a sense of fullness even when taking a small amount of food.
- duration of gastric sleeve is 1,5-2 hours
- a patient loses 60-70% of the excess weight
- hospitalization lasts for 2-4 days.
In this case, bariatric doctors put the upper part of the stomach in a silicone cuff or gastric band. It narrows the stomach cavity and regulates the speed of food movement through it.
- the operation lasts 1 hour
- a patient loses 40-50% of the weight
- duration of the hospital stay is 2-4 days.
During the procedure, surgeons place an empty silicone balloon into the stomach. Then specialists fill a balloon with the physiological saline to the required volume. The operation helps to simulate a sense of fullness in the stomach.
- balloon attaching lasts for 20 minutes
- 40% is an excess weight loss after the operation
- a patient stays in a hospital for 2-4 days.
During this surgery, metabolic specialists decrease the stomach volume and form a smaller diameter gastric tube. A part of the stomach is not removed, and the gastric wall is sewn with a multi-row suture.
- duration of the surgery is 1-1,5 hours
- 40-70% of the weight loss after the procedure
- in-hospital stay is 2-4 days.
How to choose the best hospital for weight loss surgery?
Submit a request on Bookimed website. Our Medical Doctor will contact you and suggest weight loss surgery centers. You will choose the best one.
To find out how much does it cost for weight loss surgery in your case, send us your medical records and passport details. We will transfer the documents to the selected bariatric treatment center. Within 3 days the clinic will send the program with the exact price.
Bookimed is a medical platform that does not represent interests of specific clinics. Our services are paid for by partner hospitals, not by patients.
Costs of weight loss surgery procedures
|Gastric bypass||$5500 - $25000|
|Gastric band||$6400 - $14100|
|Gastric balloon||$4200 - $6250|
|Sleeve gastrectomy||$4450 - $25000|
- Weight loss surgery is performed at LIV Hospital Obesity Center, one of the best clinics for bariatric surgery abroad. The clinic is considered the Center of Excellence in bariatric surgery. 20% is the weight loss rate for the patients in the 1st month after the surgery, 37% — in the 2nd month, 54% — in the 6th month, and 71% — in 1 year after the operation.
- LIV specialists conduct sleeve gastrectomy and gastric bypass for obese patients management. To achieve better results of bariatric procedures, doctors apply the laparoscopic technique. Operations are carried out through small-sized incisions. It helps to obtain better esthetic results and avoid side effects (bleeding, leakage).
- LIV bariatric doctors offer the reasonable weight loss surgery prices. The cost here is 2-3 times cheaper than in German or Israeli hospitals.
- Bumrungrad Surgical Center provides one of the best medical solutions for weight loss in Thailand — laparoscopic bariatric surgery. The procedure is minimally invasive. The stomach volume is reduced after the operation. A patient eats food in small portions that helps to lose weight.
- Doctors carry out laparoscopic gastric sleeve, bypass and bandaging as the best treatment methods for weight loss surgery in Thailand. A surgeon determines the exact metabolic procedure technique after the patient’s complete diagnostics.
- The bariatric surgery in Thailand cost depends on a patient’s health status and chosen therapy method. Bumrungrad physicians offer 2-3 times lower prices for bariatric procedures than in Europe, the USA or the Middle East.
Diabetes type 2
Kyung Hee University Hospital at Gangdong, also known as KUIMS, is a multidisciplinary medical facility in Seoul (capital of South Korea).
KUIMS is a first and only global center that combines different medical approaches in one facility — international medicine with the traditional one.
Oncology, medical check-ups, orthopedics, and dentistry are the leading specialties at Kyung Hee University Medical Center.
The center is a medical partner of the FIFA World Cup Korea/Japan and is recognized as an outstanding facility by WHO and UNICEF.
1,500,000 patient visit KUIMS annually.
Memorial Şişli Hospital in Istanbul is the largest multidisciplinary medical center in Istanbul. It is the 1st hospital in Turkeу and the 21st in the world accredited by Joint Commission International (JCI) for the high quality of treatment.
Memorial Şişli specialties are the following: oncology, bone marrow transplant, in vitro fertilization (IVF), neurosurgery, and organ transplant. The success rate of organ transplant at Memorial is 90%.
Patients from 92 countries choose Memorial Şişli for treatment annually.
Diabetes type 2
Teknon specialists perform bariatric surgeries at the Excess Weight and Obesity Unit. The surgical method at Teknon Weight Loss Surgical Center is determined in each particular case according to patient’s features and preferences. Patients lose an average 32% of weight in the first 6 months.
Diagnostics is obligatory before the therapy. Complete screening includes BMI (body mass index) calculating, investigations of the risk factors, eating habits, psychological profile, and age.
Centro Medico Teknon is one of the best hospitals for weight loss surgery in Spain and Europe due to JCI (Joint Commission International) accreditation. It guarantees that Teknon doctors perform high-quality procedures and maintain patients’ safety during the surgeries.
- Asklepios Hospital Barmbek is among the most visited facilities for bariatric surgery in Germany. Doctors perform more than 100 obesity operation each year.
- The hospital is well-known in the country due to highly-skilled medical staff. Dr. Thomas Carus is one of the best bariatric surgeons in Germany according to Focus magazine. Prof. Carus is a member of the Society for Abdominal Microsurgery and cooperates with international weight loss doctors.
- Asklepios Barmbek specialists carry out the effective bariatric surgery in Germany. A multidisciplinary team which includes surgeons, nutritionists, endocrinologists, psychological support helps overweight patients to get rid of excess fat.
Nordwest Krankenhaus is a multi specialized medical institution, a leading hospital in Germany due to development of innovations, such as 3D ultrasound, anticancer vaccines in targeted therapy. It comprises 5 research institutes and 11 specialized centers.
Helios Berlin-Buch is the largest and modern hospital in the capital of Germany.
It is included in the best German centers list in 2018 according to the Focus magazine ranking.
94% of patients recommend Helios Berlin-Buch for diagnostics and treatment.
Key specialties of the hospital are oncology and surgical oncology, orthopedics, neurosurgery, and obesity treatment.
Ospedale San Raffaele in Milan is one of the largest research hospitals in Europe. It applies exclusive methods for rare immune system and genetic diseases treatment.
Among its achievements — the world's first stem cell therapy for patients with severe combined immune deficiency disorder.
Oncology, oncohematology, neurosurgery, cardiac surgery, and gynecology are the strongest specialities here.
Surgeons of the medical center perform over 50,000 operations annually.
Medicana Group of Hospitals is a large healthcare organization that follows world’s standards of treatment. It comprises 12 modern clinics and employs over 3,500 medical personnel. All hospitals have high-tech equipment, caring and experienced medical staff. Medicana Hospitals meet quality and service standards of the Turkish Ministry of Health and the Joint Commission International (JCI).
HM Hospitales is a group of 7 medical centers in Madrid which provide medical services in all specialties. Includes 4 comprehensive centers for oncology treatment, neurosciences, cardiovascular surgery, and fertility.
In 2018, was awarded by the Spanish Society of Health Informatics (SEIS) for revolutionized patient care and significant technological solutions in the healthcare sector.
Annually the HM medical team serves around 75K inpatients and 2.3M outpatients.
The Department of Weight Loss Surgery in Kardiolita Hospital (Vilnius, Lithuania) specializes in bariatric surgery.
Surgeons perform sleeve resection, plication, bandaging, and gastric bypass surgery.
Specialists carry out the procedures using laparoscopic method through the incisions up to 2 cm. Recovery after laparoscopic surgery is faster than after traditional open one.
100% of patients are satisfied with the results of treatment.
Memorial Hospital Bahçelievler (Memorial Bahçelievler Hastanesi) is a multidisciplinary medical center in Istanbul with an eco-friendly design. There are a lot of green areas on the hospital territory, which contribute to patients’ psychological comfort and their speedy recovery.
The medical facility specializes in cardiovascular surgery, orthopedics, urology, gynecology, general and robotic surgery.
Hospital Sant Joan de Déu (Barcelona, Spain) accepts children for treatment from the infant age to 21. The Hospital belongs to Top-5 medical institutions in Europe and is recognized as the most authoritative one in the field of pediatric oncology treatment. The Center has its own Laboratory for Molecular Medicine where innovative therapeutic methods are developed.
Diabetes type 2
Zulekha Hospital Dubai is a private multidisciplinary medical facility that is a part of Zulekha Healthcare Group. The Hospital specializes in cardiology and heart surgery, minimally invasive surgery, orthopedics, gynecology, and childbirth.
JCI certificate and Dubai Quality Award prove the high quality of medical services of the Hospital.
International patients from Germany, India, Pakistan, and Nigeria choose this Clinic.