National Institute of Oncology of Israel
Treatment of stomach cancer is performed on premises of the Digestive System Cancer Center at Sourasky. The Clinic applies comprehensive methods for the treatment of malignant tumours of the stomach. A patient is followed by oncologists, pathologists, cardiologists, nutritionists, rehabilitation specialists and doctors of other specialties.
Computed tomography cost includes examination of three cavities (thoracic, abdominal and pelvic).
|Consultation of a surgeon||750 $|
|Consultation of a gastroenterologist||800 $|
|Consultation of an oncologist||800 - 980 $|
|CT (computer tomography)||500 $|
|Biochemical blood analysis|
|Gastroscopy + biopsy||1200 - 1300 $|
Sourasky team applies state-of-the-art surgical technologies (robotic-assisted operations) for stomach cancer treatment. Minimally invasive surgeries (for early stages) reduce recovery period, patients’ in-hospital stay. Sourasky doctors also provide partial or total gastrectomy using laparoscopic or traditional (open) method.
Some cases require HIPEC (hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemotherapy) application. This method increases stage 3 stomach cancer success rate by 40%.
|Gastrectomy||26000 - 30000 $|
Assuta Medical Center has its own research institute
Assuta Hospital provides treatment for all stages of stomach cancer. Depending on the severity of the case, doctors apply less traumatic surgeries, target therapy and radiotherapy, HIPEC.
Assuta doctors also perform endovideoscopic surgeries which minimize trauma to patient’s organism and decrease period of rehabilitation.
|Biochemical blood analysis||500 - 750 $|
|PET-CT||1600 - 1900 $|
|Consultation of an oncologist||850 - 1000 $|
|Consultation of a surgeon||470 - 500 $|
|Consultation of a gastroenterologist|
Stomach cancer treatment in Assuta Hospital is provided by Professor Baruch Klein - leading oncologist of Israel, an expert in the area of chemotherapy and palliative therapy for stomach cancer. Dr. Klein specializes in the treatment of abdominal malignant tumors.
Barak Bar-Zakai is a leading abdominal surgeon at Assuta who specializes in diagnostics and treatment for abdominal cancers. He applies laparoscopic method for operations.
Stomach cancer treatment period generally lasts from 12 to 20 days.
|Chemotherapy||2000 - 3000 $|
|Gastrectomy||28000 - 33000 $|
Stomach cancer diagnostics and treatment are performed by specialists of Rambam Gastroenterology Institute. They provide a full range of medical services: carry out diagnostics, treatment and following monitoring of patients with different pathologies of GIT (including intestine, liver, bile ducts and pancreas).
|CT (computer tomography)||1410 $|
|Consultation of an oncologist||400 $|
Stomach cancer treatment in Israel
Stomach cancer develops in epithelial cells of the mucous membrane of the organ and can be located in a fundal part of the stomach (fundic cancer) as well as in a place of connection of the organ with esophagus or intestine.
Stomach is an organ that constantly contacts with aggressive fluids, infections, and has mechanical contact with food. It results in constant death and regeneration of epithelium that increases chances for cancer development in this organ (especially with the aging). Male patients more often suffer from stomach cancer.
Only in Israel
- treatment is provided by internationally recognized oncologists and surgeons;
- the latest diagnostic and treatment equipment;
- Israeli oncosurgeons provide maximum conservative variants of gastrectomy - only affected area is removed. This approach significantly increases quality of life of a patient during postoperative period;
- the most effective treatment programs and methods of chemotherapy.
Causes of stomach cancer
Risk of stomach cancer development has direct connection with chronic disorders - gastritis and ulcer disease. The second important cause is polyposis of mucous membrane. Transformation of inflammation into precancer and further into cancer takes from 10 to 20 years.
Factors that increase risk of gastric cancer development:
- irregular eating of junk and rough food. Human organism is designed to eat at just the same time. If it doesn’t occur, the organism does not produce enough quantity of gastric fluid that causes irritation of stomach walls. Dry food scratches mucous membrane;
- excess of Helicobacter pylori bacteria when mucous membrane is provoked (for example, hyperemia). Potentially pathogenic flora increases inflammation that increases a risk of malignization of the wall;
- bad nutrition. Constant consumption of hot, greasy, preserved, smoked and fried food. Overeating;
- nitrites and nitrates in food, mainly in vegetables. The same reason (presence of nitric acid in different compounds) applies for avoiding excess consumption of beer, dried fish and cheese;
- alcoholism. Ethyl alcohol causes dystrophy of mucosa. Alcohol also increases negative impact of smoking and overeating that results in additional impact on mucosa;
- constant intake of anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAID group). Alteration and following cancer often develop against the background of drug-induced gastritis. During NSAIDs intake the drugs itself reduce a risk of oncological process but side effects of these medicines provoke cancer. It often occurs in patients with lumbago, arthritis and arthrosis;
- radiation exposure, especially consumption of radioactive food;
- patient who already had partial resection of the stomach (Billroth’s 1-2 etc.).
Manifestations of gastric cancer
The process is often asymptomatic. Stage 1-2A manifestations can be easily confused with general somatic diseases (patients aged over 50 have a lot of them):
- the decrease of appetite, slight discomfort after meal;
- there can be a rapid change of taste preferences – disgust to fish, meat and other products;
- temperature increases up to subfebrile (37-380С);
- sometimes relatives of a patient mention pale skin and mucosa – symptoms of early anemia.
Starting from Stage 2В, the process has manifestations, there can be:
- obstructed gastric patency. Feeling of heaviness, nausea, quick saturation (combined with constant hunger). In severe cases there can be vomiting after meal (complete obstruction);
- diarrhea, constipation, distention, pain resulted from bowel dilation by gases;
- girdle pain when metastases spreads into pancreas;
- metastases into the liver are ascites (fluid accumulation in the abdominal cavity);
- sudden weight loss down to cachexia (complete exhaustion);
- gastric hemorrhage.
Diagnostics of gastric cancer in Israel
- gastroscopy with following biopsy (esophagogastroduodenoscopy) is a main diagnostic method. It evaluates the mucosa, examines suspicious area, samples biomaterial;
- histology allows to confirm a diagnosis and specify invasiveness degree of the process;
- abdominal ultrasound informs about location of a tumor and presence of large metastases;
- multi-layer spiral CT, PET-CT allow to evaluate prevalence of the process;
- MRI gives detailed information about tumor structure, level of its penetration into the tissues (for ulcerous form of disease);
- blood tests can show involvement of pancreas and liver into malignant process.
Stomach cancer stages
Stage 1 gastric cancer
Stage 2 stomach cancer
Growth into submucous – a part of the stomach is removed
Stage 3 stomach cancer
Stage 4 stomach cancer
Penetrates into muscular layer – total gastrectomy
Spreads into neighboring organs – palliative treatment
Methods of stomach cancer treatment in Israel
- endoscopic treatment at early stages. Is indicated for polyposis – maligned polyp is removed;
- partial gastrectomy. A part of the organ with precancer or stage 1-2 cancer is removed and the patency is restored. Advantage of this method consists in preserving of deposit and partially digestive function of the organ;
- total gastrectomy includes complete removal of the stomach and all affected organs and tissues. Considering, that cancer with this localization spreads quickly (good blood supply, lymph efflux), some cases require removal of the spleen, intestinal loops, pancreas, lobe of the liver. Plastic surgeries after gastrectomy consist in restoration of the patency (application of anastomoses or formation of stoma);
- prior to the surgery and after it a patient undergoes courses of chemotherapy combined with beam exposure. Israeli doctors practice innovative methods for introduction of cytostatic drugs that significantly increases survival and treatment success rate for gastric cancer patients.
Rehabilitation after gastrectomy, prevention of stomach cancer relapse
It includes specific diet, split meals and attention of relatives. Walking outside, gymnastics (using abdominal bandage) are recommended. Adhesion of aponeurosis takes 5-6 months, a patient can have constipation and nausea during this period.
During the first year a patient has to visit oncologist each 3 months. Later - each 6 months.
Gastric cancer treatment cost in Israel
- relatively low percent of relapses after the treatment in hospitals of Israel allows to reduce total cost of a therapy;
- cost of services in cancer centers in Israel are 20% less than the same in Germany, Switzerland or the USA;
- price of the treatment for stomach cancer (including proper type of gastrectomy) can be found in advance. The same with diagnostic procedures.
- The diagnostic methods of stomach cancer at Sheba Medical Center
- The cost of stomach cancer diagnostics at Sheba Medical Center
- The stomach cancer treatment methods at Sheba Medical Center
The leading professionals at Sheba Medical Center who deal with the stomach cancer treatment are the world-known doctors who are responsible for hundreds of lives worldwide: Prof. Dan Adarka – international level expert in digestive system oncologies treatment; Dr. Moshe Koller – chief of Department for Digestive System Oncologic Diseases; Dr. Zvi Simon – chief of Department for Radiotherapy, applying the innovative radiotherapy in digestive system oncological diseases treatment; Dr. Talia Golan – chief doctor at the Department for Digestive System Oncologic Diseases. Sheba Medical Center oncologists have enormous experience in stomach cancer treatment of all stages.
What are the diagnostic methods of stomach cancer at Sheba Medical Center?
The diagnostics under stomach cancer suspect includes:
- A thorough physical examination and oncologist, gastroenterologist, oncologic surgeon etc. consultancy;
- detailed laboratory oratory testing (all required blood testings incl. the tumor markers);
- esophagogastroduodenoscopy followed by the biopsy of the mucous sites suspicious for malignancy (at the same time the resection of pre-cancer formations by polyps is held if required);
- histopathological analysis of biopsies;
- 3D CT;
- MRI, X-ray.
What the cost of stomach cancer diagnostics at Sheba Medical Center?
The total cost starts from 5,000 USD. The examinations may be varied regardless the disease stage and ways of cancer spread. Clarify the price for treatment and diagnostic procedures costs on Bookimed website.
What are the stomach cancer treatment methods at Sheba Medical Center?
The stomach cancer at Sheba hospital includes:
- Surgery, i.e. stomach resection and neighbouring lymph nodes;
- endoscopic mucosal layer resection (at the early stages) endoscopic resection of mucosal and submucosal layers followed by real time biopsy, while the extended surgery is held in case of tumor cells detection at the edges of resected site;
- radiation therapy.
The rate of recovery at 1st-2nd stages is up to 60%, while 2nd-3rd stages reach 40% depending on the contributing factors of the disease.
Cancer Center "Davidoff" of Rabin Medical Center is the largest oncology clinic in Israel and the entire Middle East. Every fifth of Israeli citizens gets an aid of the cancer treatment here. The center treats patients with all types of cancer and hematological diseases (leukemia, osteomyelosclerosis, anemia, leukocytosis, and others). The Center includes the departments of radiation therapy, chemotherapy, integrative medicine, palliative therapy and dietology. Center operates with the following cutting-edge techniques for treatment: SBRT, IMRT, IGRT, Rapid Arc., SIRT.